Invision Community
aam1

Closed / Private Boards - An Error Occurred Message

I've seen on a number of examples of IP.Board that when there is a closed or private area of the forum, the message returned is "An Error Occurred". Can this be changed to something else more polite, as this is the first thing seen at the top of the page and it looks like the board is faulty? Only if you look more carefully do you notice an additional message to potentially explain the so called "Error".

Well that sounds easy. However, I still can't understand why anyone would want the stock message to say "An Error has Occurred". The message is large and at the top. The first thing I would do, without reading the rest of the page, is either refresh the page or simply close it. Other forums just tend to give a simple message to indicate that you don't have access to the area and why.

This can be done already. Attempt to visit this topic that's in IP.Board support > http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/330483-preventing-spam-users-from-showing/

You`ll see a more appropriate error message. These can be set per forum (there's a 'Custom 'Permission Denied' Message' section) if required.

Thank you. Is this easy to do and is it anything like with vB for changing languages / phrases?

Also note that if you would like to change the language strings at the Acp, the forum must be in developer mode.

Yes, it does :)

This is the error that occurs when you try to edit a language string in the Acp.

System Error

Can not translate protected language pack

That is because for newer installations IPS locked the main language pack. Although it does not affect older copies I understand you can either make a copy of the language pack and edit that or go into the database and remove the lock.

The way I see it, the error message is there to deceive the members by thinking there really isn't anything on the other side. If you want members to know there is a secret area then you can create a password protected forum. But, like others said it is pretty easy to just change what it says.

That is because for newer installations IPS locked the main language pack. Although it does not affect older copies I understand you can either make a copy of the language pack and edit that or go into the database and remove the lock.

Very useful. I copied the language pack and it works. I also unlocked the default language in the database. If anyone wants to know, the value is located in: core_sys_lang -> en_US -> lang_protected. Change the value of lang_protected to 0 to unlock (or 1 to lock).

I also just ran into this issue with editing the language pack.

make a copy of the language pack and edit that

This is the smart method, as it allows you to keep the original intact in case you screw up!!! If you edit the original and screw it all up... you're just screwed. Leave it locked LOL!

I also just ran into this issue with editing the language pack.

This is the smart method, as it allows you to keep the original intact in case you screw up!!! If you edit the original and screw it all up... you're just screwed. Leave it locked LOL!

0-o no you are not... rebuild languages from .xml and a language recache fixes any acp translation whoopsees.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.