ipv6 Support

Cloaked

I read the announcement about some of the changes coming in 3.2. The one I am most interested in is ipv6. I have all my sites running on ipv6. Of course after the main page everything else is ipv4.

Can you expand on how you are going to implement this?

Will we add our ipv6 domain and all requests to ipv6.whatever.com will stay on the ipv6 network?

I may be mistaken, but as far as I'm aware the IPv6 support will be seamless and entirely behind-the-scenes. If the client provides an IPv6 address [and the server supports it], IPB will recognize and store it the same way as it does an IPv4 address right now.

Yes I see that. I just tried to access one of my forums by ipv6 domain. Got a couldn't determine ip error.

Once on the ipv6 pipe will the software allow you to stay there or will you be put back on ipv4 on each new page? It seems that there would have to an option for an ipv4 domain and an ipv6 domain.

Yes I see that. I just tried to access one of my forums by ipv6 domain. Got a couldn't determine ip error.

Once on the ipv6 pipe will the software allow you to stay there or will you be put back on ipv4 on each new page? It seems that there would have to an option for an ipv4 domain and an ipv6 domain.

No, there really wouldn't have to be. If the client requests, and gets, an AAAA record, the client would establish an IPv6 session to your server (even if there is an A record as well - IPv6 enabled systems by default will favour IPv6). If the client receives no AAAA record, but does receive an A record, then it would establish an IPv4 connection. The software has no ability to "put the client back" onto a different IP stack - indeed, no software does. So long as your DNS is configured correctly, IPv6 will work seamlessly with IP.Board - whereas currently you will receive an error if you attempt to access it over an IPv6 connection.

Just as a small aside, going beyond our initial checking of the IP address which throws the above referenced error, we've updated our database tables to be able to store the ipv6 address, and we've updated the IP address tools in IPB to work with ipv6 addresses as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived