AJAX and More Streamlined Replies

Derek M.

I know the topic has been brought up before, but I didn't want to 'necro' threads that are over half a year old. Instead, I'll add some points as to why I see this functionality a necessity, in a point-by-point break down.

Using AJAX to add "Fast Reply" to topics
More and more, the web is becoming less of a requirement to have a 'new page load' thanks to AJAX. While there's definitely some aspects that could make it seem like too much (especially on load, depending on how it's used of course), there are areas that should start making this conventional due to usability needs. Posting should be one of them, for obvious reasons, but I'll get to that later.

Basically, using AJAX, you use the fast reply to add a reply to the topic without going to another page (it is instead loaded right onto the page once you submit it).

But AJAX does require some more resources, right?
True, but so does everything really. Then how do you pass judgement? Usability and necessity are usually in play to determine priority. In this case, it would be a wise decision in the user experience (usability) as it provides direct feedback but not requiring a new page than jumping back to the topic page, thus increasing the flow and reducing the user's invested time.

Also, the resources aspect could be said with the use of the scrolling hide/show functionality for categories and the side menu. It helps usability, but was that effect otherwise 'required'?

It improves usability? How?
While it merely just speeds up the posting process in the long run, the use of feedback to the user is much more clear than the jolting feel of being pushed to a new page that resembles nothing of where you were and then back to where you started. While you could read what the page said (That your post was added), it's not as effective as actually seeing your post be added to the topic (with a form of JQuery animation to enhance visibility of such). Instead, you get thrown back onto the topic page where you would have to then look for your post to see it was added for confirmation. In general, this keeps flow on conversation and less on the tool you're using.

It doesn't sound like much of a difference, why does it matter?
It isn't technically, it's just a different user experience that provides more literal feedback. Examples of sites that have this down are... Well essentially all new sites. Facebook being one, where when you add a status update or comment, it gets added right there. No page reload or "Thanks for posting" gateway page. It speeds up the process and keeps the focus on the conversation aspect, and not the "I'm using software" aspect.

Feel free to add questioning and reasons for not doing this, as (which you could porbably tell) I lack the example defenses as to why not :P

Also (posting in a new reply to avoid confusion), having the reply button make the fast reply appear below the post would be very good as well (think of the "add a comment"). It, again, saves user time and encourages more posting.

Advance Replies would be an option, much like fast reply gives already. Thus the reply page wouldn't be gone, but it just won't be required as much for the majority of user needs (quick replies).

It's a good idea. I think it's been stated that the fast reply will use ajax in 3.2.

I hope so. That and making it appear under a post that has had their reply button clicked is a nice thing too. I'm not saying it cause "vB does it" but that it is actually a good usability decision. After all, if I wanted vB, I'd be using vB :P But no, vB4 is horrible. Well, maybe not 'too bad' but not an improvement.

Ajax uses more resources? How so? You're saving a page load...

It was an argument that another person stated in another thread (that's a month old). I never understood it either, other than an additional JavaScript code/file or so. But it essentially saves a page reload, so it only sends and receives the data for the AJAX command without the other stuff (scripts, images, database queries, etc) having to load again.

It was an argument that another person stated in another thread (that's a month old). I never understood it either, other than an additional JavaScript code/file or so. But it essentially saves a page reload, so it only sends and receives the data for the AJAX command without the other stuff (scripts, images, database queries, etc) having to load again.

Exactly!

Archived