Merging topics - old url to redirect

optrexnz

I had two topics that were merged (in the same forum)
However, before they were merged, someone quoted the url of the topic in a post.
I was surprised to see that url now gets a board message "We could not determine which topic you were attempting to view," rather than getting redirected to the new merged topic.

Currently the design is that one of the topics is no longer valid. I think that it should point to the new topic and would like to suggest this as new behavior.

• 1 year later...

This is still a problem, I know I'm writing 18 months since the last post in this topic... But there still doesn't seem to be a solution.

Our forum members are getting upset with our moderators every time they merge topics. We have a newsletter plugin, which fires out URLs of the popular/recent topics, which get broken when the moderators do some simple housekeeping.

• 3 years later...

Another bump on this 1, has anyone got a solution for this? Merging of topics causes the merged topic URL to no longer work. This is bad for SEO and not very user friendly. Is there any solution to make sure a 301 is implemented in a similar way that when you migrate from another forum software the old links are mapped to the new ones?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived