Multi-Community Forums In One

Koyakami

Hello,

I've been using my forums for gaming related boards (Founder of gaming clan) but at the same time i'm also looking to have a 'Bikers' area.

Gamers aren't really interested in bikes and bikers in most cases of which I know, don't really want to come on the forums and have gamers ruining their message boards about bikes.

I know you can setup the forums and have permissions on so gamers only see games area and bikers see the biker forums BUT, what i'm after is abit complex but should be possible!

This is either someone can create a MOD or IP have this in future release.

I want users being able to sign up on our forums, during registration, they'll have all the normal information to enter BUT they have these three options.

'I'm a Gamer'
'I'm a Biker'
'I'm both a Biker/Gamer'

and all three choices lead to different areas of the board. Once they select their option and complete registration, they have the following permissions and access:

'I'm a Gamer' -> Can only view the gaming side of the forums
'I'm a Biker' -> Can only view the bikers side of the forums
'I'm both a Biker/Gamer' -> Views the full forum

But it's a chance for people who want to have bigger boards with different sides of the community in one.

Look forward to peoples replies.

Hi mate, as both a biker and gamer myself, I think keeping your gaming site independent and creating a separate biking community would be better.

I've noticed your Velocity Gaming board is relatively new. Would it not be considered best practice to concentrate on attracting gamers to the site, instead of changing your point of direction with it so soon?

and all three choices lead to different areas of the board. Once they select their option and complete registration, they have the following permissions and access:

'I'm a Gamer' -> Can only view the gaming side of the forums

'I'm a Biker' -> Can only view the bikers side of the forums

'I'm both a Biker/Gamer' -> Views the full forum

But it's a chance for people who want to have bigger boards with different sides of the community in one.

Look forward to peoples replies.

I am only new to using this forum but what your saying could easily be done ? with nexus in that you can set a upgrade / downgrade feature in the store with 0 cost / but hook that into a user group with the set permissions that you wanted as above.

for example i could go in an upgrade to the i am a biker pack and by doing so i would upgrade to that user group / permissions which would only show biker / a second one would only show gamer and the default view would be both to make life simple.

may be be wrong so check with more long termer's here / i like the idea myself so thanks for bringing the topic up.

Hey, not that I know of fella, plus i've not got nexus. I don't need it at current, i have my own webstore, but if nexus seems to get improved, i may move over to nexus, so it works with my forums (always a plus!) but at the moment, can't afford $74.99 =)

Surely must be a way in the forums without nexus cause before nexus was available, someone must of had it. I'm not sure why nobody is replying on here, thought it would be a popular thread.

Yeah, thanks for the feedback mate, kind of confused me abit but don't need to worry if i've not got nexus :)

Archived