Suggestion: Allow users to remove themselfs.

Nervosa

Every so often I'll get a PM from a user saying they want to delete there account and I usually just ignore it.

I would like to give users the option to "remove" themselfs from the community, yet I would like to keep the content they made and have a record of the users info. Could there be an option for the user to sudo-delete themselves.

There would be an option in the user cp "close account".
Clicking this the user would have to re-enter there PW, read some text about how there posted content will say but there name avatar and other identifying markers will be removed (names will be changed to something like "deleted user" ) and they will no longer be able to access the account. Click a OK check box and hit enter.

The users name and other info about them would still be available to the admin, if it is ever needed.
Doing it this way will allow admins to reactivate the account in the event the user logged in at a library and someone managed to close the account.

You could just create a new group called closed accounts.

I will admit though I have had members ask me to have their account deleted as well. It is usually do to some drama that is going on between them and another member or members. Some times I just suggest a name change which some times fixes the issue.
90% of the time when I do give in and delete the account they just wait a few weeks and create a new account with a new name. 8% of the time they never come back as what ever it was that upset them upset them to the point of never coming back. 2% of the time it turns out some one found the password out of some one they do not like and sent me a message to delete their account so in that case I have to recreate it. That has not happened to much but has happened. Normally I do ask in an email and reply via the Pm system if they are sure they want the account deleted.

I tell them no.
If they don't wanna use the board they can put on their big girl panties and just NOT USE THE BOARD.

I will go in and change their e-mail to username.noemail@getalife.com so no one will be able to contact them thru the board.
And I will delete any other personal info in their profile.

If they stay away for 12 months they will fall into the inactive users group.

All they have to do is adjust their notification options and that will do everything for them.

I remember hearing about that, did not effect me as I deleted account on request any way, after verifying it is the correct person contacting me to delete the account.

In some countries you are required by law to delete users accounts if they ask for it. Germany comes to mind.

Wouldn't that only apply if your server is in Germany?

I agree with the others. I don't need, nor want this feature. Account deletions aren't bad but at the same time they aren't always necessary. I'd just inform them to shut off their notifications and not return if they didn't want to. I honestly put disclaimers on most of my forums that I do not delete accounts on request.

Wouldn't that only apply if your server is in Germany?

It would, yes. So what you're saying is.. if you live in one of those countries, don't buy webhotels in them if you wanna host IPB legally without having to remove useraccounts and that they have to buy a webhotel located in another country?

It would, yes. So what you're saying is.. if you live in one of those countries, don't buy webhotels in them if you wanna host IPB legally without having to remove useraccounts and that they have to buy a webhotel located in another country?

Not at all. I was just pointing out that the feature isn't required for legality everywhere so I wouldn't necessarily want it myself. I get huffy, I ask for account deletions and regret it a day later. My particular communities sometimes come locked and stocked with some sort of drama so I could see a lot of people regretting having the option even available to them. So this feature would not help everyone while it could help some I don't see it helping everyone.

Not at all. I was just pointing out that the feature isn't required for legality everywhere so I wouldn't necessarily want it myself. I get huffy, I ask for account deletions and regret it a day later. My particular communities sometimes come locked and stocked with some sort of drama so I could see a lot of people regretting having the option even available to them. So this feature would not help everyone while it could help some I don't see it helping everyone.

I totally agree with you. As I mentioned above most of the members who ask me to delete their account end up re registering later on.

I tell them no.

If they don't wanna use the board they can put on their big girl panties and just NOT USE THE BOARD.

I will go in and change their e-mail to username.noemail@getalife.com so no one will be able to contact them thru the board.

And I will delete any other personal info in their profile.

If they stay away for 12 months they will fall into the inactive users group.

To bad your required by multiple countries law's to delete someone's information if so requested to. And keep in mind, a honest site owner will respect the laws of the country they serve their site to with in reason.. A user wanting their data removed is a reasonable request

Also, it does not only apply to Germany

We were just using Germany as an example but as you said, you can delete them manually. You don't have to have a feature for them to remove themselves. Also, in the example above, removing their email and any other personal information would be removing their personal data. I don't know the laws, specifically, but if its personal data that has to be removed then that should suffice the law without removing the account altogether. Although, honestly what's the point in keeping the account if there isn't a person to attatch it too.

I just don't think that there needs to be a tool for it though.

Archived