Spammer Control Improvements

jucs

You guys should look at changing how people register because I even have a picture challenge question AND all of a sudden the last weeks your software is being EASILY blasted by spammers.

Unfortunately, you think that those of us who have been LOYAL from the beginning when Matt was first starting out and got a lifetime license now need to pay for this spam control feature that should be part of the board. However...it's not all roses with it either.

In addition, my other forum where I DO get spam control is still be inundated with spammers.

So, please think about improving the overall spam control. I don't think it's a coincidence the last month that IPboards are being targeted by spammers. There's a reason and it's lack of tight control right at the signup.

Thanks for listening.

You know, running a service which basically maintains a gigantic database of spam users, and vets every single registration on a significant number of IPB installations on the planet isn't free. I don't see how you can claim "it should be with the board" when it's a service, not a feature, and it costs real money - and a lot of it - to run. As another lifetime license holder, I think you're being unrealistic and silly. If they did what you want, they'd be bankrupt.

Second, IPBoard is not being targeted by spammers - all forums are. The blasted spammers have released a new version of their flagship spamming tool, that can defeat reCaptcha. And as long as there's third world countries with internet, there'll be people willing to register on board after board for 5c an hour on behalf of the spammers.

Wow you have a way with words. :rolleyes:
Or is this where we find out you are version 2.1 or something?
If you bothered to read the other topics on this subject you would find simple challenge questions would resolve your issue.
The fact that you are getting spammers is due to google recaptcha being cracked and has nothing to do with IPB. Other platforms are getting hit just as bad if not worse.
If you don't want to pay for additional spam services then you don't really have anything to complain about.

We have a number of sites. One on IPB software, several on Joomla and/or Wordpress and they are all getting hit. Sensible security measures like the questions that must be answered in addition to reCaptcha will keep out the bulk of attempts but the odd one will get through.

We have also added our non-IPB sites to Cloudflare and this also helps. We will add our IPB site there too when we have time to install mod_cloudflare to our server so that it reports user IPs instead of Cloudflare ones.

Bottom line is that IPS provides us with some features and services to minimize spammers and our hosting companies may also do that BUT we as board owners have to take some actions and responsibility too !!!! Don't expect it all to just be handed to you for free.

Very good. Does the mod submit to the SFS database? If not, it really ought to... :)

No because the mod checks a person trying to sign up with SFS. If their email or IP is listed they get a message saying something like "You are a known spammer, registration denied". So, the mod is for checking not for submitting.

3DKiwi

last month that IPboards are being targeted by spammers.

Maybe I'm looking too rude, but you are wrong. Every forum and blog engine is being targeted by spammers. LiveJournal is being targeted by spammers last months, and reCaptcha does not always help. Now in LJ they started to use linguistic algorithms to detect possible spam and screen such comments. One of the most popular vBulletin boards — skyscrapercity.com with about 40 millions posts is being targeted by spammers now. This is not just an IP.Board, this is a global Web 2.0 challenge. And IPS was one of the first companies who tried to response globally using it's anti-spam service.

Yes and preferably those rejected registrations would be submitted to SFS. The fact that they are already in the database does not matter. It keeps the data up to date concerning spammer activity.

Perhaps submission may be added to the mod in future. It will then be very useful.

I think the deal with SFS is you report spammers after they have spammed not just because they have attempted to sign up at your site. It doesn't make sense to me to report a spammer that hasn't actually spammed your site.

3DKiwi

I think the deal with SFS is you report spammers after they have spammed not just because they have attempted to sign up at your site. It doesn't make sense to me to report a spammer that hasn't actually spammed your site.

I decided to check with SFS before replying and hence my earlier edit.

Ideally the mod would submit blocked registration attempts to the SFS database. Spammers change IP address and email addresses with great regularity in order to try to frustrate blocking. Submitting data shows that they are still active and maintains currency of the database.

Archived