Suggestion - Profile Permissions

Dave58

I'd like to revisit this. Thanks to Rimi, we have a profile privacy option that shows an error message when viewing a private profile. But, I'd like to suggest this:

• to be included in IPB core.
  • to be able to use the add friend option when viewing a private profile.
  • to show the member's name and avatar when viewing a private profile.

Profile privacy is very important to end users. Most major SN's have privacy options for good reason. People want to control who sees their profiles.

• 2 months later...

Isn't that what this is?

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=114970&id=5962&full=1

:unsure:

If the profile is hidden, is this (see below) not the error you will see instead of the one you posted?
I assume the one you posted is shown when users disable viewing of only certain areas and not the entire profile. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&s

My suggestion would be to show the add friend, avatar, and username when the profile is set to private. Sorry, but I honestly think that showing the above error will confuse people. I'd still like people to be able to see the avatar with username and send a friend request even if the profile is set to private.

I do appreciate your hard work you've put into this. My suggestions and opinions are not meant to disregard it by any means.

If the profile is hidden, is this (see below) not the error you will see instead of the one you posted?

I assume the one you posted is shown when users disable viewing of only certain areas and not the entire profile. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

index.php?app=downloads&module=display%C

My suggestion would be to show the add friend, avatar, and username when the profile is set to private. Sorry, but I honestly think that showing the above error will confuse people. I'd still like people to be able to see the avatar with username and send a friend request even if the profile is set to private.

I do appreciate your hard work you've put into this. My suggestions and opinions are not meant to disregard it by any means.

Well I just did it the way I know xenforo does it. I can attempt what you're asking but... I don't know how to make it look nice. Can you draw a mockup of what you're looking for? Although IMO, disabling the certain areas of your profile gives the same effects. There's no point in hiding the user statistics because they're available in the hover card and hiding the remaining profile tabs is equally pointless and interferes with the content of the forum as a whole. That's why I elected to do it this way. So you don't have to make that error message option available. Just block all the personal information. I think that's the only reason why profile privacy is necessary in the first place. If you block the profile feed, about me, and contact information then your profile is now secure.

Also that hook is not focused on adding friends for profile access. There's more to it so if I try this should the add friend option (or this whole idea in general) only happen if you select the "only friends can access" option?

Archived