Topic Template System

HeadStand

Hi,

not really a bug, more like a question. Sometimes when I edit a post with template, when I hit save instead of returning back to the post, I get forwarded to the homepage. Everything with the post looks ok, it is edited and saved correctly, but I wonder what is the reason for this redirect and if it could be a signal for a bigger problem.

I am planing to use the template system quite extensively in the next few months, so I am extra paranoid about every little glitch.

Hi

I used to use this successfully on a forum I had temporarily set up, but no longer exists.

I've tried it on a current one I run and for some reason cannot get it to appear front end.

It appeared to install fine, butI cannot see any means for adding values for dropdowns etc (the option to set these up as described in the instructions isn't visible for some reason), and when I create some fields and a template that uses them (plus set it as required for the subforum in question etc) nothing relating to template fields shows up when I create a new topic?

I think this is likely me doing something stupid but can't see what - sorry!

Have tried it on 3.4.5, and 3.3.4 installs with the same happening.

Thanks!

Ok - I've got some progress now as I have realised this problem was largely not knowing I had to write the necessary HTML for the "Post Screen Template" settings in order to make all these fields actually appear. I'm sure when I used this a couple of years ago this wasn't necessary hence the confusion perhaps and I'm not used to html so missed this point sorry!

One thing I cannot find is the setting described in the manual for the 'field options' page for the dropdowns/multi select categories? Cannot find this anywhere in my AdminCP under the Topic Templates part of these pages.

I have now got a template working with the following:

• Text Field
  • Ratings Field

However I have also created and included on the same template a Radio Button, and a Dropdown, and neither of these are actually visible on the template, aside from the title for each? So I cannot see the clickable part of the radio button, nor the dropdown itself, only their field titles when I create a topic using this template.

My guess would be this is down to the HTML being wrong as in the absence of more info I have simply copied the default 'Post Screen Template' HTML code for each of my 4 fields, and simply changed the numbering to suit each field ID. Apologies if this is incorrect but I am a noob with HTML and the instructions do not offer info on examples for field types other than stating that a default is provided.

That's not a criticism but an observation btw! :smile:

Sorry to add a further post (as I can't remove/edit the previous ones), but is there any likeliness of this being extended to use the templates created for replies any time in the near future? I know it was mentioned a couple of years or so back that it was intended to be added.

That's what I could really really do with having, as I'm attempting to gather data from my members using these templates, but it's going to be tricky unless every reply on a topic with these templates is using the same template as the one used for the first post.

I'd pay more to have that since it would be so useful.

Thanks

Hi,

not really a bug, more like a question. Sometimes when I edit a post with template, when I hit save instead of returning back to the post, I get forwarded to the homepage. Everything with the post looks ok, it is edited and saved correctly, but I wonder what is the reason for this redirect and if it could be a signal for a bigger problem.

I am planing to use the template system quite extensively in the next few months, so I am extra paranoid about every little glitch.

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like my bug actually, but anything is possible.

1. Does this happen when you use the quick edit or the full post editor?

2. Does this happen on posts that do NOT use the topic template system?

Sorry to add a further post (as I can't remove/edit the previous ones), but is there any likeliness of this being extended to use the templates created for replies any time in the near future? I know it was mentioned a couple of years or so back that it was intended to be added.

That's what I could really really do with having, as I'm attempting to gather data from my members using these templates, but it's going to be tricky unless every reply on a topic with these templates is using the same template as the one used for the first post.

I'd pay more to have that since it would be so useful.

Thanks

SIGH... this was one of those features I always meant to add but just never had the time. If anything I could see myself adding it when I update this for IPB 4.0. When I do that I'm going to have to rewrite the entire app from scratch, so there will be a lot of features that will be added then. What I'd love to do is rip the whole thing up, start all over again, and release versions for both 3.x and 4.0.

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like my bug actually, but anything is possible.

1. Does this happen when you use the quick edit or the full post editor?

2. Does this happen on posts that do NOT use the topic template system?

1. Full post, it happens when I edit the fields in the template. I tried to track it, but was unable to. It happens very random, like I have 5 checkboxes and if I click 2 of them, the edit is OK, if I click third one it goes to frontpage. Weird.

2. Nope, only on posts with templates.

Overall, it is not a big deal, as everything appears to work correctly.

What I'd love to do is rip the whole thing up, start all over again, and release versions for both 3.x and 4.0.

I hope there will be some backwards compatibility, it will be pretty bad to lose all posts using the template on update :)

1. Full post, it happens when I edit the fields in the template. I tried to track it, but was unable to. It happens very random, like I have 5 checkboxes and if I click 2 of them, the edit is OK, if I click third one it goes to frontpage. Weird.

2. Nope, only on posts with templates.

Overall, it is not a big deal, as everything appears to work correctly.

I'll look into it, but if it's really random I'm not sure I'll be able to find it.

I hope there will be some backwards compatibility, it will be pretty bad to lose all posts using the template on update :smile:

That goes without saying. Data integrity is pretty high on my list of priorities for any development project.

There seems to be a bug in the version for 3.4.x.

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to uncheck the "HTML" checkbox in the Views setting of a template. So, if I go to change the Views of Template A, and I uncheck the "HTML" checkbox (and OK the warning that pops up in my browser, telling me that all HTML will be lost, and converted to BBCode), then click "Finish"... It still forces the HTML when I check the Views settings again.

The reason that I do not want the HTML is because I believe this is the reason why the topic templates do not allow line breaks in fields. For example, if I type:

This is a line.

This is line two.

This is line three.

when I click "Post", it will convert it to:

This is a line. This is line two. This is line three.

Any ideas how to solve this?

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Saving immediately after reordering Field Options reverted the sequence. Fixed.
  • Fixed editor issues in the ACP (this is for those of you having problems unchecking the "HTML" checkbox. Note that you will still need to do this one more time, but this time your changes should be remembered.)

No? It's not doing ANYTHING for the parsing line break issue.

When I type something with line breaks into a text area of the topic template field, it automatically deletes the line breaks. Example:

This is a line.

This is line two.

This is line three.

That will turn into:

This is a line. This is line two. This is line three.

Hi, can I get support for my problem? Thanks.

You will never receive support from me from Friday night-Saturday evening. I'm a Sabbath observer, and I don't work during those times.

I misunderstood your original issue, so no, the last patch did not include the fix for this. I apologize. I am looking into it, and I will post here as soon as there is a fix.

I have had a problem with a topic, I have moved it from "forum 1" to "forum 2".

Into forum_1 I have setted by default template "multiplayer" and into forum_2 have template default => VideoGame...

now when I edit first post of topic moved into forum_2 default template is "No Template" instead of being "VideoGame"... so I use 2.2.2 of this app

Is it a bug?

I have had a problem with a topic, I have moved it from "forum 1" to "forum 2".

Into forum_1 I have setted by default template "multiplayer" and into forum_2 have template default => VideoGame...

now when I edit first post of topic moved into forum_2 default template is "No Template" instead of being "VideoGame"... so I use 2.2.2 of this app

Is it a bug?

It's not exactly a bug, although I guess I could make it behave the way you want it.

Here's what's happening:

1. You created the topic in forum 1 with template multiplayer.

2. The topic has template_id=multiplayer

3. You moved the topic to forum 2

4. When you edit the topic, the hook sees that the topic is linked to multiplayer, but multiplayer is not an option in the dropdown. Therefore, the first option in the list is selected instead. This is default HTML behavior.

So like I said, not really a bug, but I can try to figure out a workaround.

It's not exactly a bug, although I guess I could make it behave the way you want it.

Here's what's happening:

1. You created the topic in forum 1 with template multiplayer.

2. The topic has template_id=multiplayer

3. You moved the topic to forum 2

4. When you edit the topic, the hook sees that the topic is linked to multiplayer, but multiplayer is not an option in the dropdown. Therefore, the first option in the list is selected instead. This is default HTML behavior.

So like I said, not really a bug, but I can try to figure out a workaround.

exact,
if you can fix it, help me to maintain a change made ​​in the skin.
then I do not need immediately because it works perfectly ;)

Another bug:

The line breaks are showing up. However, each time I click 'edit' (the full editor), then click 'submit modified post', the topic template system adds an extra <br> for every line break there is in a text area. Example:

This is a line.

This is line two.

This is line three.

Turns into:

This is a line.

This is line two.

This is line three.

Another edit turns that into:

This is a line.

This is line two.

This is line three.

Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

When I try to edit Views on template creation I get this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method classes_editor_composite::setLegacyMode() in /home/*****/public_html/*****/applications_addon/other/topictemplate/sources/helpers/text_parser.php on line 52

And if I hit 'next' without choosing a field I get this:

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/******/public_html/******/applications_addon/other/topictemplate/sources/classes/views.php on line 335

When I try to post a topic using a template I get this:

IPB: 3.3.4

Fixed. I've uploaded a patch to the Marketplace - you can just upload the new files, no upgrade necessary.

I have same problem with 2.2.4 version! (tested on localhost with xampp)

Fatal error: Call to a member function fieldTemplate() on a non-object in C:xampphtdocs****adminapplications_addonothertopictemplatesourcesclassesviews.php on line 336

I have same problem with 2.2.4 version! (tested on localhost with xampp)

Fatal error: Call to a member function fieldTemplate() on a non-object in C:xampphtdocs****adminapplications_addonothertopictemplatesourcesclassesviews.php on line 336

That's a completely different error message and not at all related to the post you quoted. Can you please tell me:

1. What version of IPB you are running?

2. When did you get this error - ACP or public side? Viewing a topic or posting a topic? etc, etc.

Thanks.