Community

Links to Titles

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

File Name: Links to Titles File Submitter: HeadStand File Submitted: 09 Dec 2010 File Category: Utilities Supported Versions: IP.Blog 2.6.x, IP.Board 3.4.x, IP.Calendar 3.3.x, IP.Downloads 2.5.x,

A new version is now available in the Marketplace. The hook has been completely rewritten for performance improvements and a lot more functionality. Other changes include: Links can now be displ

Important Update: I've released a new version to the Marketplace. It contains a fix for a security flaw that was brought to my attention.

Posted Images

all worked good for me , now i have changed the server and the hook stopped working , deleted and imported again but still not working :sad:

1. When you say "I have changed the server", what does that mean? What changed? Please be specific.

2. What version of IPB are you running?

3. Did it stop working everywhere or just in one specific area? (e.g. forums, downloads, blogs)

4. define "stop working". Are you seeing the original link?

Thanks.

1. When you say "I have changed the server", what does that mean? What changed? Please be specific.
2. What version of IPB are you running?
3. Did it stop working everywhere or just in one specific area? (e.g. forums, downloads, blogs)
4. define "stop working". Are you seeing the original link?

Thanks.

moved from a ubuntu 13.10 server to a completely fresh 14.04 one
2. 3.4.6
3. I am only using the forum hook
4. Yes just the link no title

I tried to install it again and it worked , but only for internal links weird :/
  • 3 weeks later...

I've tested this twice now on the latest version of IPB and it works for both internal and external links.

To those of you having issues:

- Are there specific links that are giving you trouble?

- You should have a table in your database called ibf_link_titles (or whatever your prefix is). Can you check to see if you can find the link in there? What does it have in the title column?

- For internal links, are the links accessible to guests?

• 2 months later...

Do you have a demo online?

What about page load impact? Is the URL extended to the full link title on posting or on every single page loading?

Thanks

I do not have a demo.

Page load is not really affected. The URLs are scanned the first time the post is displayed and then each title is stored in the DB so that we don't do constant lookups. The titles also "expire" after a certain number of days, which ensures that the user is viewing the most up-to-date information.

• 1 month later...

Our site was overloaded shortly after enabling the hook, it produced way to much load in a high volume site. :sad:

If you have a lot of links and heavy traffic, then yes, this would happen on the initial load. The hook will parse all links the first time they are viewed and then will store them.

In this scenario, the site would get hit pretty hard when you first enable the hook, but once the link titles are cached, it should stabilize. There really is no way around that, I'm afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I haven't read the above posts and I went and installed it in a board with 2.5million posts.. it completely killed the server, we couldnt even restart the mysql service. I managed to uninstall the hook after a server reboot but the settings are still there. How can I make sure that there is no traces in the db of this mod? Also, is it possible to get a refund?

Unfortunately I haven't read the above posts and I went and installed it in a board with 2.5million posts.. it completely killed the server, we couldnt even restart the mysql service. I managed to uninstall the hook after a server reboot but the settings are still there. How can I make sure that there is no traces in the db of this mod? Also, is it possible to get a refund?

​if the hook is uninstalled, then it's gone. The settings should have been removed when you uninstalled, it's strange that they're still hanging around. In either case, if the "linktitles" files are gone in the hooks directory, nothing will happen. Make sure to remove the file that was uploaded to /admin/applications/forums/sources as well.

As for a refund, you'll have to talk to IPS. I have no way of refunding a purchase.

The files are still in there, I can delete them manually but is there a way to make sure that they are nothing left in the db? It doesn't sound like the hook uninstalled very well. I am not too fussed about the refund anyway. 

Because this is a nice idea, a couple of suggestions. Can't it be simpler and not go through all the posts at once? Wouldn't be easier instead of saving everything in a table to just change the url to

[url=test.com]TEST[/url]
 once and just leave it stored in the post like this? 
Edited by Jirinex