Topic Prefixes - Are they coming or not?

marklcfc

Im not bickering mate, I am treating it with the contempt it deserves, you always get one. I was referring to people going to facebook because of all the crap that is being added to forums all the time. It is killing forum boards every day because people don't want things they are not going to use, it makes the software bigger, longer to load, and takes more disk space which we have to pay for..

I give it another year and there will be no boards, or if there is there would hardly be any members on them to speak of. And I was also referring to the little Hitlers who run them, killing off their own forums with all their stupid little rules.

Thanks for the clarification, I now understand your point.

I don't think that topic prefixes is a feature that hurts forums, when used properly. I think they can be deployed to better organize forums in certain scenarios. To your point, ie extra "crap", I could personally do without the extra profile stuff, but that's just me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the clarification, I now understand your point.

I don't think that topic prefixes is a feature that hurts forums, when used properly. I think they can be deployed to better organize forums in certain scenarios. To your point, ie extra "crap", I could personally do without the extra profile stuff, but that's just me.

There ya go we have hit common ground, now we agree at last.:)

I gonna go offtopic a bit here, but how come there's not a single post of any IPS Team member. Seems to me these guys never miss a thread and now there's none of them here :D I find that suspicious.

I JUST thought about that too while reading through the topic.
And further more, why is everyone so focused about discussing the modding community? In that case you could apply that to EVERY feature that gets suggested in this forum and we wouldn't need IPS to implement anything. You could just say "Hey there's a mod for that" or "Hey, this is better suited as a mod". It's ridiculous!

Now, are you going to grow up so we instead can discuss if this feature should be implemented? Just say yes and no. We've already heard your opinions on the matter revolving the fact that you think the current mod suits it - we understood you're against the idea. Now drop it.

Kinda sad to see people crusading against basic features that benefit those who use its organisation and search filtering merits.
Even if implemented, prefixes would already be 'off by default' (since no prefixes are created). 'guess haters still gonna keep hating.

I gonna go offtopic a bit here, but how come there's not a single post of any IPS Team member.

Observation can lead to all sorts of conclusions or actions from IPS. Rushed comments may ruffle the feathers of either customers or the modder.
There's still no reason why such core features would be the exclusive domain of any person or, by virtue of existing, should forbid IPS from implementing this important feature.
Mirrored features in forum apps tend to be so due to used features from other software. If vbulletin users looking to migrate need prefixes, thats reason enough already to have it (the usefulness of prefixes shouldnt be considered limited to only existing customers among those who use prefixes, and who by chance found this thread and posted comments as well).

Price is not an issue with any mod for me, it is the problems when upgrading to newer versions of the original software (regardless if it is a forum, CMS or whatever) that at some point in time mods will get you into trouble by breaking things and/or preventing upgrades to newer versions..

I personally will not join any community now that I have to give my personal info to gain access, one of the reasons why communities are failing, and are flooding to facebook.

er.... I thought your own forum required this?

it is not open to all is it? Or wasn't last time I looked.

I've frequented many IPB powered sites. They were running on older versions and they had topic prefixes. I was expecting that to be in the package when I bought IP. Board but it wasn't and it has made organizing my forum more tedious. Hopefully it will be in a future version as a default feature you can use.

• 3 weeks later...

$5 at the most. Topc prefix is high in demand as it should be a default feature, but its a little mod (done very well by the writer from the looks of it) compared to iarcade going free. Even the bookie is $10.

Just because some people give away big mods for free doesn't mean that's what everything is worth. Even before I was ever modding and would have liked others' mods to be free I thought it was quite crazy that some things such as ibproarcade and the market mod were done for free. It was too much work for simply releasing for free in my opinion. If you compare everything to arcade mods you could then claim every mod should be free.

Archived