Download: VigLink IP.Board Integration

Alex

Ever since implementing this, some external links on my board and on IPS give a blank page when you click them, and clicking back and clicking again doesn't do it. I see it trying to contact viglink at the bottom, but then the page stays white and the url in the address bar is the one they came from or about:blank. :/

Any specific links or posts you've noticed doing this? I've never come across this before.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both worked fine for me, have you cleared your cache recently. Something like this is definitely on the VigLink end so not sure how much help I can be. If it continues to play up after emptying local files etc., it may be best to disable the hook and ask VigLink for support as it is to do with their javascript.

• 1 month later...

Why should IPS make money off of our forums or traffic/purchases made through our forums?

This is optional so I guess you could go direct to viglink and bypass IPS if you do not want IPS benefiting from your forums.

Hopefully IPS will not go down the VB route of trying to make money via adsense.

I've had viglink installed for a while via manually editing the template. I was generating about $100 a month but it causes havoc with opening links to other sites affecting the parent window too.

Am going to try this hook and report back.

What's the issue with the parent window?

Ok to explain where I am.

I started off with DRIVING REVENUE who now are part of VIGLINK.

Viglink uses Java but the problem is IPS also use java and looks for REL rather than HTML Target.

When you install viglink (you don't really need this hook as it is)just add viglink code to your ad footer in ACP.

The problem I had is the way viglink code and IPS jave code conflict.

So if I put up a link to a dvd on amazon and the user clicks it....... Amazon will open in the new window but ALSO the parent window due to the conflict.

I wanted to try this hook to get around this but viglink help tell me they must receive a 32 digit code and this hook gives a 30 digit???? And the same problem manifests itself.

Really really want this to work - if someone made a working hook that opened links correctly I'd happily pay $$$$$ for it as it would pay for itself very quickly.

It really does work - next one coming in at £162 dollars for last 4 weeks and it's mostly been un-installed due to the links issue upsetting my membership.

Ok to explain where I am.

I started off with DRIVING REVENUE who now are part of VIGLINK.

Viglink uses Java but the problem is IPS also use java and looks for REL rather than HTML Target.

When you install viglink (you don't really need this hook as it is)just add viglink code to your ad footer in ACP.

The problem I had is the way viglink code and IPS jave code conflict.

So if I put up a link to a dvd on amazon and the user clicks it....... Amazon will open in the new window but ALSO the parent window due to the conflict.

I wanted to try this hook to get around this but viglink help tell me they must receive a 32 digit code and this hook gives a 30 digit???? And the same problem manifests itself.

Really really want this to work - if someone made a working hook that opened links correctly I'd happily pay $$$ for it as it would pay for itself very quickly.

It really does work - next one coming in at

Are you saying that the hook still opens links in two areas? We have it installed here and links still work fine.

Testing:

http://catalog.ebay.com/Apple-iphone-4-Black-16GB-AT-T-/85594940?_pcategid=15032&_pcatid=11&_trksid=p3910.c0.m469
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XV3QY/ref=s9_al_bw_ir01?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0JD1WFZS4QZASVTG1DFW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1283351362&pf_rd_i=193640011

OK, a couple of things. First, it doesn't appear that affiliate links were injected into the above. Secondly, those links open in the same window. I think people wanted the links to open in a new window, no?

OK, a couple of things. First, it doesn't appear that affiliate links were injected into the above. Secondly, those links open in the same window. I think people wanted the links to open in a new window, no?

All links had the correct affiliate injections, as for the same window - I'd have to look into the VigLink code more, it was something we wanted to originally do but VigLink by default opened them in the same window. I'll look into it a bit more.

This a reply direct from Viglink tech:

Like our own plugins, there must be an admin page where he can enter his API key. From his email it sounds like that page only lets you enter a 30-character key, which is odd, because our keys are 32 characters. He may have found a bug. Either way he should get in touch with the plugin author for support.

Problem only exists if you set ACP to open links in a new window. This set up is generally preferable to forum members as they sometimes open links while researching a message reply. They get annoyed when their message is wiped.

We collaborated with VigLink directly when this was made, the 30 unique key is different to their 32-character API key, that would be where the tech is getting confused. We use both a 32 API Key + a 30 unique identifier for your individual board/account, it's purposely a different format.

As for the links opening in same window, I've emailed one of the developers at VigLink that I worked closely with, and will see what he comes back with as a way to override the parent window setting.

But, to clarify, our 30-character key is not the same as VigLink's 32-character key.

I am confused because this question is not answered directly and if so I missed . Is IPB profiting from me installing this hook on to my site because if that is the case , I would have to say that is the craziest thing I have heard in my 40 years. If I am not mistaken I already paid IPB but like I said maybe this has been answered

IPS is affiliated with VigLink on this product, so yes, they are getting a little something from your use of this hook. That 'little something' isn't coming out of your pocket, though, so you're not the one paying IPS additional income for this.

It's just an affiliate system, nothing too terribly crazy. :thumbsup:

Not going to publish IPBs business, but I can confirm the publisher still gets 75%. You do have to sign up for a new viglink account which is retarded since I already have an account I have had for some time. The work around wold be to just not have external links open in a new tab, but this will effect bounce rate.

I had this hook installed and decided to remove it since we don't get alot of external product links.

However, even after removal of the hook via the admin panel, I'm still seeing a call to the viglink server:

Host: api.viglink.com
IP: 184.73.240.165
Error/Status Code: 200
Start Offset: 4.045 s
DNS Lookup: 48 ms
Initial Connection: 62 ms
Time to First Byte: 74 ms
Content Download: 0 ms
Bytes In (downloaded): 0.5 KB
Bytes Out (uploaded): 0.6 KB

I can't find any reference to it in the JS code or templates, can you tell me where I can find the call?

Archived