(M34) Videos System

Michael.J

The Videos System has been updated with a new bug fixing version. This version primarily fixes confirmed bugs and a few minor feature improvements. To update, re-download the latest file and follow the upgrade readme.

Bug Fixes: (external links to my bug tracker.)

Hi, this looks great, we're right on the verge of buying but I feel moved to ask...

1. Any chance we'll see tags added soon?
2. Also, can we apply multiple categories to a single video submission?

==

We've been using ClipBucket (more of a true video platform), but their support is horrible, one of the worst I've dealt with.

Also, we're tired of running a separate site for our user-submitted (embedded) video archive, separate login and all. ;)

Thank in advance for any answers you can provide. :)

1. Any chance we'll see tags added soon?

2. Also, can we apply multiple categories to a single video submission?

1. I haven't had a chance yet but future support is highly likely. In terms of a time frame, not likely within the remainder of the year. If possible I will try to include in a minor/bug fixing revision.
2. No sorry only 1 category per video.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. :)

Thanks for the reply. :wink:

We're going to buy the app soon, but I have one suggestion...

It would be GREAT if there was an easy way to add a block of content above the video listing on the main page, and on each category (like forum rules), so we can give information, guidance or instructions... I imagine this would be a pretty straight-forward addition.

It's all about communication and promotion. :smile:

Aha, and another (sorry)...

When viewing a sub-category, the page title (browser) shows only the sub-cat name...

"Sub Category - Site Name"

Seems to me, it would be more appropriate to have it like this...

"Category - Sub Category - Site Name"

Many times, a sub-category is just one piece of the puzzle... Example:

"Tutorials - Driving - Site Name"

No way to know when you see this in Google results, that it's a tutorial.

Sorry to besiege you, but I hope the feedback is reasonable. ;)

I know I'm your favorite customer already, but I gotta dig the hole deeper, sorry. :)

I deleted the auto-topic posted by my added video, then I went to "rebuild topics" using the built in tool - no joy, the topic wasn't re-posted.

Another one for the list - again, so sorry to be a pain - any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be GREAT if there was an easy way to add a block of content above the video listing on the main page, and on each category (like forum rules), so we can give information, guidance or instructions... I imagine this would be a pretty straight-forward addition.

Thanks, suggestion recorded. You want something kinda like forum rules for more detailed description then the existing category description?

I'd love to be able to reorder the sub-categories too, as we can with the parent categories.

I couldn't make this work coding wise but I do understand what you mean and will revisit this. Until then you can still view the subcategory parent category and re-order the subcategories that way.

When viewing a sub-category, the page title (browser) shows only the sub-cat name...

With my basic SEO knowledge, I though this was bad practice but I'm open to suggestion. Even if not implemented I'm sure I could put together instructions for you to achieve this on your site if really needed.

Also, I've looked *everywhere* (I'm pretty sure) and I cannot figure out any way to delete a video once it's been added and approved.

Final step in readme install - Open your Admin CP > Members Tab > Manage User Groups > Edit Group > Videos System tab. From here you can setup your group permissions.

I know I'm your favorite customer already, but I gotta dig the hole deeper, sorry. :smile:

I deleted the auto-topic posted by my added video, then I went to "rebuild topics" using the built in tool - no joy, the topic wasn't re-posted.

That was intended, I didn't want to delete all topics and posts if there were any problems with the topic settings or an admin accidentally disabled it. Rebuild topics will still however update the topic if topic title/description has been changed.

Thanks, suggestion recorded. You want something kinda like forum rules for more detailed description then the existing category description?

Yes exactly - using the WYSIWYG editor, it gives me space to create more a in-depth welcome to the category (in my case I'm educating our members about dozens of kite genres), and the opportunity to place other content like related forum links and the like.

I couldn't make this work coding wise but I do understand what you mean and will revisit this. Until then you can still view the subcategory parent category and re-order the subcategories that way.

Aha, you actually solved #1 for me... I didn't even think to click on the sub-category names, reorganization is good, thanks.

On #2 (copying over permission sets), it will still be a great addition, imho.

With my basic SEO knowledge, I though this was bad practice but I'm open to suggestion. Even if not implemented I'm sure I could put together instructions for you to achieve this on your site if really needed.

I'll concede, I'm no SEO expert (by far) and that's really the secondary reason for me...

Primary reason is so it's more obvious to my visitors where they are at the moment... The breadcrumbs are so small, and there is no other, more obvious indicator.

post-35543-0-99824700-1320205374_thumb.p

Not a major griping point... Members will get used to it, but it irks me from a presentation standpoint.

Final step in readme install - Open your Admin CP > Members Tab > Manage User Groups > Edit Group > Videos System tab. From here you can setup your group permissions.

<--- me = bonehead

I should have considered that, thanks. :smile:

That was intended, I didn't want to delete all topics and posts if there were any problems with the topic settings or an admin accidentally disabled it. Rebuild topics will still however update the topic if topic title/description has been changed.

Understood... My whole reason for rebuilding / reposting in this case, was that indeed, I wanted to update the topic, solved!

==

A++++

Superb, concise and understanding responses all... THANK YOU, glad to be a customer. :smile:

One more query... It seems that the full video description defaults to center alignment, no matter what we do with formatting.

We often have cause to include a variety of information with our videos, using bullet lists, etc.

Any way to give the WYSIWYG interface full control over alignment - AND still keep the video centered?

Question, is there any chance we'll see a feature added which would cross-check against videos already in the system when someone adds a new one?

Unless I missed it somewhere, the same video can be embedded in the Videos System multiple times - I'd like to see the system stop this, if at all possible.

Any way to give the WYSIWYG interface full control over alignment - AND still keep the video centered?

That does make more sense, I've logged a bug report but here is a manual patch if you want to patch your board straight away.

Open Admin CP > Look & Feel Tab > select skin > skin_videos > videoView

Find:

<div class='ipsBox_container ipsPad_half' style='text-align:center;'>

{$video['embed']}

Replace With:

<div class='ipsBox_container ipsPad_half'>

<div style='text-align:center;'>

{$video['embed']}

</div>

Save.

Question, is there any chance we'll see a feature added which would cross-check against videos already in the system when someone adds a new one?

I have had this suggested before but was concerned about the resource usage query all the videos every time a video was added. The other user hasn't gotten back to me but if this is something you wanted to try out before I add it next version as an optional setting, I can put together the required edit. (Would only be effective with media urls/tags as embed codes can differ substantially.)

One slight adjustment... The width of the div is naturally a great deal wider than the video (usually 670px wide), and if short text is aligned far left it'll look even worse.

Is there a way to shrink the div to say, the width of the video (670px minimum) as well?

I'd definitely be keen on trying out the link-checker, if you're up for letting me do so. :)

Just had an odd incident...

One of our members was trying to upload a file and got blank white page everytime he tried to submit it.T

Video title was:

Jacobs Ladder til you Puke - Alphakites TNT STD (Comp)

Multiple fails, until he dropped a few characters:

Jacobs Ladder til you Puke - Alphakites TNT STD

Pass, went in with no problem.

Is there an invisible character limit he ran into?
No error message, just a blank white page.

FYI - The last issue hasn't been consistent, reported by only one user.

Another set of questions / challenges though...

1. My members aren't receiving any notice that (a) their videos are being held for approval, or (b) when their videos have been approved, both would seem appropriate.

2. Even though I'm an admin, I'm not getting PM or email (preferred) notifications of new videos pending approval.

Suggestions?

One slight adjustment... The width of the div is naturally a great deal wider than the video (usually 670px wide), and if short text is aligned far left it'll look even worse.

Is there a way to shrink the div to say, the width of the video (670px minimum) as well?

I'd definitely be keen on trying out the link-checker, if you're up for letting me do so. :smile:

Try this, assuming you keep the previous edit in place.

Find:

<p class='ipsPad'>{$video['description']}</p>[/CODE]

Replace With:

[CODE]<p class='ipsPad' style='margin: 0 auto; width:640px;'>{$video['description']}</p>

Save. That should align the description with the left of the video but not mess with your editor alignment. I should have some free time at the end of this week, just remind me and will put together the code for the link checker.

Just had an odd incident...

FYI - The last issue hasn't been consistent, reported by only one user.

Is that user able to reproduce this every time? If so, check out this article here. If it's a white page, then there is most likely an error behind it.

1. My members aren't receiving any notice that (a) their videos are being held for approval, or (b) when their videos have been approved, both would seem appropriate.

2. Even though I'm an admin, I'm not getting PM or email (preferred) notifications of new videos pending approval.

Both planned features already but for the second one, I'd recommend the Queued Items hook as an alternative until added. The Videos System has support for this hook.

Edits for the text display worked great, thanks! :)

Plan on incorporating that change into the next release?

==

Queued Items hook installed, video additions should show as is?

No "turn on" necessary within Videos Sys?

==

I'll keep an eye out for the white page thing, thanks for the link. ;)

Plan on incorporating that change into the next release?

Queued Items hook installed, video additions should show as is?

No "turn on" necessary within Videos Sys?

Yes for the description alignment. The other change maybe no, but I can provide edits if any future versions make my instructions invalid.

After installed, the hook will automatically show when ever you have a pending video. It also supports the other IPS applications and pending topics etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, suggestion. :)

With the global sidebar addon that a number of folks are using, the width of the videos on our page are proving to be an issue... They don't fit in the space left between the added sidebar and the Video System sidebar, so it looks kind of broken.

Would it be possible to add controls in the ACP for width x height of the video embed?

Thanks again for a great app, hope this is possible. :)

Just to clarify your talking about the sidebar that appears on the video page not sidebar block on the forums? Just to give me a better idea, would you mind taking a quick screenshot of the issue. Also are these are embed codes your pasting directly from a video site or the normal media url / bbcode?