Super News Feed

HeadStand

I have purchased and installed this hook on my forum and have a few questions:

1. I have truncation turned off but images still show up as "attachicon.gifscreen-capture-15.png" instead of showing the images. Emoticons are showing fine. Is this a bug or expected behaviour?
  2. When a member "likes" a post that appears on the News Feed, that "like" doesn't show up on the post in the forum and the user who made the post doesn't get a notification. I assumed that since comments made on a topic create posts in that topic that "likes" would carry over as well.
  3. This is more of a feature request but would it be possible to put in a toggle to disable the ability to make 'likes' and comments in the news feed? Also to tie it to group permissions would be nice.
  4. Another feature request that others have mentioned which I would also like to see is changing how reputation/likes appears in the news feed. Right now it says "member x has received 1 point". It would be more informative to have it resemble the notifications users get, something like "member x has liked member y's post in topic z" with a link to the post. Especially on a forum where the like system is used instead of positive/negative reputation, the information that so-and-so gained a point isn't very useful.

1. I think you're talking about attachments instead of images? Please confirm.

2. Likes are not currently tied back to the original source. The way the reputation system was written in 3.x made that nearly impossible (it would have thrown a heck of a lot of PHP errors).

3. Good idea, I'll consider it.

4. Perhaps. Last I recall, I don't think I had access to that information, but it's been a while since I last checked.

1. I think you're talking about attachments instead of images? Please confirm.

They're attachments that have been embedded ("added") into the post. The code for attachments shows up instead of the actual picture:

2. Likes are not currently tied back to the original source. The way the reputation system was written in 3.x made that nearly impossible (it would have thrown a heck of a lot of PHP errors).

Understood.

4. Perhaps. Last I recall, I don't think I had access to that information, but it's been a while since I last checked.

Thanks. I'd really appreciate an update when you get the chance. I currently have the feed set to not display any reputation information but would like to be able to include it if it has the extra information I mentioned.

Another feature I would like is for the news feed to respect the permissions when it shows feed items. For instance, on my forum guests can't see any member information and a handful of sub-forums, yet if they go to the news feed they will see feed items from those forums or regarding profile updates. I have had to disable the news feed for guests because of this.

Thanks again.

They're attachments that have been embedded ("added") into the post. The code for attachments shows up instead of the actual picture:

I'm not going to be supporting inline attachments. Best I can do here is strip out the code for it.

Another feature I would like is for the news feed to respect the permissions when it shows feed items. For instance, on my forum guests can't see any member information and a handful of sub-forums, yet if they go to the news feed they will see feed items from those forums or regarding profile updates. I have had to disable the news feed for guests because of this.

Member info is something I will correct, but are you sure about the forums? I am pretty sure it checks permissions on that.

I'm not going to be supporting inline attachments. Best I can do here is strip out the code for it.

Fair enough, if it's a choice between having the code and having nothing though, I'd rather keep the code in.

Member info is something I will correct, but are you sure about the forums? I am pretty sure it checks permissions on that.

You're right -- I just tested again and the posts from the restricted forums aren't showing. My mistake.

When do you think you'll release an update about the member info?

Thanks. smile.png

I am thinking to buy this, but i would like to see a demo first. Is there any site where i can look at it working?

Btw: how does it refresh? It does it automatically (ajax-like?)

I don't have a demo. You can see if anyone here is willing to post a URL to their forums so that you can take a look.

And yes, it refreshes via ajax. You can configure how often the screen refreshes (default is 60 seconds).

Another thing I've noticed is that when I create events, they show up in the news feed as being one day behind. For instance, today I created an event on September 17th, but in the News Feed it says I created an event on September 16th.

I'll take a look.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I have some pre-sales-questions:

1. Are picture from Forums-Thread (inline and as attachments) are supported?

2. Exist an IP.C-Block for this?

Thank you!

1. No. They are intentionally stripped out of the content, as you don't want some posts filling up the entire screen and potentially breaking the page.

2. Yes, but it's not an interactive one - meaning, it will show the latest activity, but you can't comment directly from the block.

I have just bought the app. Nevertheless the IPC Block does not update through ajax. It is only updated when the whole page is reloaded, which misses the point a lot. Is there a way the IPC block could be updated through ajax?

People have asked for it, but I just never had the time to do it. No timeline as of now. Perhaps while I rewrite the app for 4.0.

• 3 weeks later...

People have asked for it, but I just never had the time to do it. No timeline as of now. Perhaps while I rewrite the app for 4.0.

Hi HeadStand,
How are you doing?
I wrote you a while back on doing a Super News Feed 4.0 for IP Board 4.0 and now that we are onto the beta stage of IP Board 4.0 with the final release nearing, it would be great to see improvements made to the activity feed in 4.0!
Do you know when we could see Super News Feed come to 4.0 with improvements like commenting/like etc?
There are many improvements needed including:
-The ability to include the activity feed as a block via IP Pages 4.0
-The ability to comment/like on the activity feed directly and on profile activity feeds
-Merge the activity feed and status feed into one (on user profiles pages AND global activity feed)
What do you think? Have you considered this project and do you need funding to get it started?
You could list this as a commercial plugin too, as I am sure many people will download it and it will become very popular (just like you Super News Feed plugin!)
Thanks again and keep up the great work!
Ryan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not numbers, any complaints or comments,what do you experience.

​I haven't had any complaints about resources. The feed data is not pulled in real-time. It's captured and stored ("cached", if you will) in real-time, but then when you view the feed, you're basically only pulling data from a single table instead of from across the entire database.

Ok great...you may have noticed I purchased and installed.

All good, I am just stuck with trying to change the below title and, bread crumb and page title.

I have made some changes to lang strings in public_feed but not updating?

Can you tell me how please?

News Feed

See the latest activity around the community, or follow your friends!

​It should be in public_feed - news_feed and news_feed_desc.