Super News Feed

HeadStand

Super News Feed

View File

This app is meant to act as an Activity Stream, similar to Facebook. The feed will include EVERYTHING (or as many different actions as possible). A list of supported actions is below.

NOTE: This application is compatible with IPB 3.x. The v4 version can be found at https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7635-social-stream/.

Features:
------------------------
- Admin Module - manage configuration settings, as well as settings for individual RSS feeds

- Public Module - new tab on the board called "News Feed".
Shows all updates
Allows members to filter activity by their friends or by all members
Integrated with IPB's reputation system
Allows members to comment on some types of feed records
The screen will refresh with the latest content. The Refresh Rate is configurable in the System Settings.

- Profile Tab - new tab on member's profile called "My Feed"
Will display all updates made by that member

- Sidebar block -
Will display all updates made by all members

- Portal plugin -
Will display all updates made by all members

Customization:
------------------------
- UCP - new section in the UCP for News Feed settings
Members can show/hide each kind of update
Set the maximum number of updates to show

Settings:
------------------------
- System Settings - in ACP
Customize the global feeds (sidebar block, portal plugin, guest view) and show/hide each kind of update
Set Refresh Rate (in seconds) for global feed
Show/hide filter tabs
Show/hide sidebar block
Show/hide portal plugin
Set maximum number of records to show in global feed
Set maximum number of records to show in sidebar block
Set maximum number of records to show in portal plugin
Set maximum number of records to show in profile tab
Enable/disable each kind of update - when an update type is disabled, it will not be stored in the feed AT ALL. This means that members will not have access to it either. They will not be able to customize it in their UCP, etc.
Retention period - how long should the system store updates
Cache Time - how often global feeds should be re-cached

Supported Update Types:
------------------------
New account
New Topics
Profile Comments
Status Updates
Status Comments
Display Name Changes
Photo changes
Sig changes
Group changes
Generic profile update
Friends
IP.Blog Integration: new blog entries, blog comments
IP.Calendar Integration: new events, updated events, event comments
IP.Content Integration: new database records (including articles), new comments (including articles)
IP.Downloads Integration: new files, updated files, file comments
IP.Gallery Integration: new albums, new images, image comments

Additional Comments:
------------------------
The feed will be pruned regularly to prevent it from becoming too large. This is configurable in the System Settings.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    11/12/2010
  • Category
  • Discussion URL
  • Support Info
    <p>http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/325178-super-news-feed/</p>
  • Supported Versions

Example?

Classifieds, Awards, Garage System, IP.Board Member Map, Videos System, iArcade

i'm ready to spend more money for integration of those to Super News Feed...

Just to make sure we're on the same page.

:thumbsup:

also "turn me off" option for hidden users will be highly appreciated...

i'm ready to spend more money for integration of those to Super News Feed...

I would have to take this as a paid enhancement, since a) I don't have these mods installed and I'm not going to purchase them and b) it's not part of the IPS product line.
If you're interested in discussing this, feel free to PM or email me.

also "turn me off" option for hidden users will be highly appreciated...

One of the items on my list for the next release is the option to hide yourself from specific (or all) users. No timeline yet for this release though... I want the next release to integrate with IP.Downloads, so I'm waiting until IPS releases the next version.

bad news....today I found out that my forum main link is dead...I was getting the blank page with http 500 error while trying to get on forum main page ...all other suforums and topics were normal when i was typing browser to them

Nothing I installed exept that application for last couple days. I desided to check if it is the reson..After I turned off the hook from acp manage hooks. Forum main page began back to work...But when I'm trying to go to News Feed tab on the top, it gives me the blank page instead of News Feed....

disapointed (

bad news....today I found out that my forum main link is dead...I was getting the blank page with http 500 error while trying to get on forum main page ...all other suforums and topics were normal when i was typing browser to them

Nothing I installed exept that application for last couple days. I desided to check if it is the reson..After I turned off the hook from acp manage hooks. Forum main page began back to work...But when I'm trying to go to News Feed tab on the top, it gives me the blank page instead of News Feed....

disapointed (

PM coming your way.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would have to take this as a paid enhancement, since a) I don't have these mods installed and I'm not going to purchase them and b) it's not part of the IPS product line.

If you're interested in discussing this, feel free to PM or email me.

I would love to integrate iArcade, but, likewise, I'm not going to buy this / install it as I don't really need it. If there is a demand for an "iArcade Newsfeed" post on our feedback site and I can look into it.

This is a very, very interesting application. How (often) does it retrieve/store the information? I don't want to take a hit in performance.

Another type of update I'd like to see is "Member1, Member2 and 5 others liked This Post" (the reputation system).

It stores the action when it occurs, and there is little to no processing in the background for the storage, so you shouldn't have any performance issues with that.

In the current version, data is retrieved on demand. The next release will have some caching, but only for the global feeds (the ones that are displayed on the board index and portal pages), which are the ones that are accessed the most often. The other feeds (profile tab, public module) are all customizable for individual members, so caching the data doesn't make any sense.

I'll add the reputation system to my enhancement list, that's a good idea. Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This hook sounds so perfect. Thank you for taking the time to put it together.

I only want the feed to display on our portal, and I would like it to display as just part of the portal.

Am I correct in assuming there is no tab, just a display in the portal?

Thanks,

Brian

[edit]

More specifically, can I turn off the tab in the forum that says "news feed" ? In reading your post about the application, it doesn't sound like it can be turned off. I plan to use the IP portal as our community launching page and your Super News Feed will be the main feature. The forums will be just forums, so to speak.

Thanks,

Brian

[edit]

More specifically, can I turn off the tab in the forum that says "news feed" ? In reading your post about the application, it doesn't sound like it can be turned off. I plan to use the IP portal as our community launching page and your Super News Feed will be the main feature. The forums will be just forums, so to speak.

Thanks,

Brian

You can turn off the tab for any application from the ACP, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You can turn off the tab for any application from the ACP, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Hi -

Thanks for your patient reply. Obviously it was a dumb question!!! I just purchased the application and installed it. I see an empty news feed in the portal. Does it need to populate over time? I just commented on another member and nothing shows, either in the portal or in the member's profile.

Could you offer any hints how to expand the news feed to occupy the left 2/3 of the display and have the other information occupy the right 1/3 of the display, similar to the default layout of the forums?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi -

Thanks for your patient reply. Obviously it was a dumb question!!! I just purchased the application and installed it. I see an empty news feed in the portal. Does it need to populate over time? I just commented on another member and nothing shows, either in the portal or in the member's profile.

Could you offer any hints how to expand the news feed to occupy the left 2/3 of the display and have the other information occupy the right 1/3 of the display, similar to the default layout of the forums?

Thanks,

Brian

That's strange, it should show up.... can you check your database (ACP -> Support -> SQL Toolbox) to see if there is any data in the ibf_feed table?

You can move around the display of the portal by editing the Portal -> skeletonTemplate template bit. You should see something like

<!--MAIN-->

<!--::recent_topics_last_x::-->

<!--END MAIN-->

That defines the left side of the display. Simply replace the content with

<!--MAIN-->

<!--::newsfeed_getFeedData::-->

<!--END MAIN-->

Anything between

<!--LEFT-->

and

<!--END LEFT-->

defines the right side of the display.

Hope that helps.

That's strange, it should show up.... can you check your database (ACP -> Support -> SQL Toolbox) to see if there is any data in the ibf_feed table?

You can move around the display of the portal by editing the Portal -> skeletonTemplate template bit. You should see something like

<!--MAIN-->

<!--::recent_topics_last_x::-->

<!--END MAIN-->

That defines the left side of the display. Simply replace the content with

<!--MAIN-->

<!--::newsfeed_getFeedData::-->

<!--END MAIN-->

Anything between

<!--LEFT-->

and

<!--END LEFT-->

defines the right side of the display.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the formatting suggestions. I'll give it a try right now. Success! I have the feed in the left 2/3 and everything else in the right 1/3.. Unfortunately, the news feed remains stubbornly empty. Have I inadvertently turned off the status update setting? If so, do you know where it is? :blush:

As to the ibf feed table, it says zero in the SQL Toolbox Edited by glrfcentral

Thanks for the formatting suggestions. I'll give it a try right now. Success! I have the feed in the left 2/3 and everything else in the right 1/3.. Unfortunately, the news feed remains stubbornly empty. Have I inadvertently turned off the status update setting? If so, do you know where it is? :blush:

As to the ibf feed table, it says zero in the SQL Toolbox

Well, nothing seems to be working. I don't have any news feed appearing in the UCP or user profile. I enabled and disabled the sidebar block in the forum index, and nothing showed. I hid and unhid the tab for the news feed for the forum and clicked on it. The big block that says 'news feed' shows but nothing is reflected there.

The portal plugin is enabled and the news feed block appears but nothing shows.

Really need some help. Not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks

Brian

using 3.05