Download: Number of Posts to Send Personal Messages

NenaDice

File Name: Number of Posts to Send Personal Messages
File Submitter: NenaDice
File Submitted: 26 Oct 2010
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

This is my first hook for IPB. This will give the admin the option to make it so only users with a certain post count set by the admin can reply and send personal messages. By default it is set to 5 posts. This can be used to fight spam through the private messages.

Install the hook.xml file through Manage Hooks in your Admin Panel and then to congigure it go to System Settings. There you will see a new setting called NenaDice. Click on it and configure the hook to your needs. There you can enable/disable the hook, set the number of posts needed to read/reply to pm, enter the error message and as last but not least you can choose which groups can bypass the post restriction.

Click here to download this file

Hi, thank you again this is another step in controlling spam!!

can i suggest you name your hooks.. i've download three of your and they are all named hooks.. not easy to locate on system when you have 50 hooks in folders..

thanks

GoldDust

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree, it gets a little confusing. I will be sure to rename my future hooks :)
  • 8 months later...

Hello Nena Dice,

I've installed the hook on a 3.14.
Could it be that the hook does not support newer versions of IPB?
Any help or an upgrade would be highly appreciated.

if ideas for improvements are wished: A whitelist for e.g, Admins and Mods would be nice.
So it would be possible for new entrants to contact staff members,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Love this hook - prevents spammers from sending messages and those using PMs to invite members to competing sites.

I have had a few complaints though: When a member with the minimum number of PMs sends another member a PM, who doesn't have the minimum number of votes, they of course cannot reply.

Members are complaining that not answering a PM (when the receive one, but cannot reply) is makes them look rude.

Is there a way to change this - even if it's a paid hook?

Love this hook - prevents spammers from sending messages and those using PMs to invite members to competing sites.

I have had a few complaints though: When a member with the minimum number of PMs sends another member a PM, who doesn't have the minimum number of votes, they of course cannot reply.

Members are complaining that not answering a PM (when the receive one, but cannot reply) is makes them look rude.

Is there a way to change this - even if it's a paid hook?

I am not sure I completely understood you. That is the whole point of this hook, to not let users whose post count is below a certain amount, to no tbe able to send and/or reply to pm's.

Suppose the minimum to send PM's is 50 posts.

If one member has 50 posts and sends a PM to a member with 10 posts, it will go through. However, the person with 10 posts won't be able to reply to that PM.

So the person with 10 posts cannot initiate a PM, they should be able to reply to one that they receive.

Suppose the minimum to send PM's is 50 posts.

If one member has 50 posts and sends a PM to a member with 10 posts, it will go through. However, the person with 10 posts won't be able to reply to that PM.

So the person with 10 posts cannot initiate a PM, they should be able to reply to one that they receive.

I see what you mean. What version of Ipb are you using btw?

• 5 years later...
2 minutes ago, NeedCoffee said:

Is this still ok for IPB 4.3 or does anyone know a way we can prevent a new user from creating conversations until they've posted X number of times?

The file question has been removed maybe due no update or user question no long active but without checking I am sure might be setting in user group.

19 minutes ago, NeedCoffee said:

We couldn't seem to find the setting, is this built in to IPB now then?

Yeah it’s under social so what need do create a group move people into once reach x post or what ever need and in your member group edit the settings in social and will move people using promotion tool.

Thanks for that, although it's a little overkill for us I think, as we'd need to channel all new registrations through this group and then promote them to regular users.

Ideally we'd hook in to the conversation page and do a basic "has user got X posts" conditional and return an error? I guess I need to post this as a mod request! 🙂

Archived