Make "view new content" behave as expected by users of phpBB or vB

G Fox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He knows that already. It was explained to him on page 1 of this topic and on other pages of similar threads on this subject

I was replying to his comment saying it was working as it should... which is clearly an incorrect statement.... :) I also added proof to validate the point.

Wrong :)

If you check out the tracker entry here you can see the issues:

[url="http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-23771-view-new-content-shows-read-topic/"]http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-23771-view-new-content-shows-read-topic/[/url]

Wrong :)

That is a bug with the filters. The VNC(without the filter activated) works as it should - unless I've missed another tracker - which is what I'm trying to explain.

Please take a look and open your mind....

I have the settings set to display all unread content.... yet when I view new content, some post that I have already read are showing. You can see here that IPB itself knows what's going on as it only displays the "new unread" image icon on the proper threads.... but for some reason it's also showing some that I have read.

Now here is the kicker.... after I read all the threads marked with the new un read icon.... the others that are showing in this picture.... will not show up anymore. YES that is a bug...... :)

post-146014-0-65647700-1289930518_thumb.

Fair enough. Then the filter isn't working as it should and I can understand your frustration :)
This shouldn't have been posted in suggestions though since it belongs in the tracker due to the fact that it's a bug, not a missing feature.

I was replying to his comment saying it was working as it should... which is clearly an incorrect statement.... :) I also added proof to validate the point.

Sorry my reply was not directed at you, it was directed at this comment

Honestly I don't understand why you guys can't see that the current VNC is working like it should and what you want is ANOTHER feature(or another filter to the current VNC-results).

Fair enough. Then the filter isn't working as it should and I can understand your frustration :)

This shouldn't have been posted in suggestions though since it belongs in the tracker due to the fact that it's a bug, not a missing feature.

So we are back to where we were on post 17 of this very topic

[url="

[/url]

Yes we are back to nowhere... other then waiting for a response.... I sent Charles a question on this as well.... still no response, surprising as he is normally very good about getting things handled.

In case anyone is confused, what I want is a NEW LINK that shows UNREAD POSTS only. You can keep the 'show new content' link as is, since many people in IPB community like it.
We've come around from original request to change how it works, to now asking for a new feature which provides a commonly-requested search.

This is what phpBB/vBulletin users are accustomed to, and it's very handy.

In case anyone is confused, what I want is a NEW LINK that shows UNREAD POSTS only. You can keep the 'show new content' link as is, since many people in IPB community like it.

We've come around from original request to change how it works, to now asking for a new feature which provides a commonly-requested search.

This is what phpBB/vBulletin users are accustomed to, and it's very handy.

You say you want to see unread posts, but surely you mean see topics that have unread posts in them, right? Just showing a list of unread posts, without the context of what topic they are in, doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

If it's really topics with unread posts, I don't see how that's different from the existing View New Content search while having your 'View New Content Method' setting set to 'Show me all content that I have not read'.

It's not my fault I get confused when 1 person says it's a bug and another person - the starter of this topic - says it's a missing feature. Make up your freaking minds, will 'ya??

And just now he said he wanted unread posts instead of unread topics. No wonder people gets confused.
:huh: :huh:

I'm sorry, I just don't see what the issue is. When I set up the search to show me new, unread content, it does. When I set up the search to show me new content since my last visit, it does. The sphinx implementation they have running here at IPS makes it a little odd as it doesn't instantly rebuild the search indexes, but if you take that into consideration it should be working as it is supposed to. On my board where I don't have sphinx I have never seen the issues you described, as long as I have my search method set up the way I want.

You should also note that while you may come from a background where you used other products, some of us (like myself) only have experience with IP.Board. So you may be describing something that makes sense in your head, but it's evidently not coming across the way you'd like.

There's only been one IPS staffer responding to this topic so far, and he seems to think there is work that can be done to improve the system, so I would advise against simply abandoning caring about this issue. Wait and see what IPS will do before giving up. :)

You are very lucky that the issue does not affect you, but it certainly does to a heck of a lot of us. If you take the trouble to look at the tracker that I referenced above you can see examples of the issue demonstrated.

Matt has admitted there is an issue and it will be looked at being reinvented for 3.2.

You are very lucky that the issue does not affect you, but it certainly does to a heck of a lot of us. If you take the trouble to look at the tracker that I referenced above you can see examples of the issue demonstrated.

Matt has admitted there is an issue and it will be looked at being reinvented for 3.2.

I did check out the tracker earlier, thanks, still not seeing these issues myself. And I also did note that Matt had replied to this topic that he is looking to overhaul the VNC system, I mentioned that in my post. ;)

I don't want to come across as saying there is no issue here. I just haven't seen it myself, and I'm here on this site a lot. Granted, I tend to use the Today's Active Content search primarily, instead of VNC, so you guys having the trouble probably see it more than I do. Clearly if an IPS staffer, especially the lead developer of the software, says there's an issue, there probably is one. But it's almost certainly just bugs in the system, not that the system is doing the searching in a fundamentally incorrect manner. The type of search being requested here, seeing topics with unread posts in them, is exactly how the system is intended to work.

I'm going to try an experiment to see if I can reproduce. I'll mark the board as read, set my search method to pull up new posts that I have not read, step away for a bit to give sphinx time to rebuild the search indexes, and then see if a VNC search pulls up things that it shouldn't be.

EDIT: I saw what I expected to see. The only items that came up in a VNC search after this were those topics that had new replies in them since I marked everything as read. :ermm:

I'm sorry, I just don't see what the issue is. When I set up the search to show me new, unread content, it does. When I set up the search to show me new content since my last visit, it does. The sphinx implementation they have running here at IPS makes it a little odd as it doesn't instantly rebuild the search indexes, but if you take that into consideration it should be working as it is supposed to. On my board where I don't have sphinx I have never seen the issues you described, as long as I have my search method set up the way I want.

You should also note that while you may come from a background where you used other products, some of us (like myself) only have experience with IP.Board. So you may be describing something that makes sense in your head, but it's evidently not coming across the way you'd like.

There's only been one IPS staffer responding to this topic so far, and he seems to think there is work that can be done to improve the system, so I would advise against simply abandoning caring about this issue. Wait and see what IPS will do before giving up. :)

If you don't see it on your board then it's because you don't understand what the issue is.... all IPB sites have this very same issue or bug.

He clearly doesn't understand the issue as I noted above.

I want this sorted as much as anyone does. The bug was fixed and dropped out again on a version upgrade. IPB know its a bug and have advised us already that VNC will be revamped totally in the next version release.

To be honest I doubt very much, considering that commitment, that they will be putting in extra effort to bug fix something that's currently being rewritten. Patience is what is currently needed. Good things come to those that wait.

Matt's doing a great job and the rest of team are currently getting their heads down to meet the demands of the application release schedule that takes us up to the new year.

• 3 weeks later...

I fully support G Fox in his quest to better the "VNC" functionality of IPB.
I for my part (or should i say my members) would like a feature that shows the topics that I have participated in that has new unread posts in them.
This is an old function of SMF that is severely missed...

//Niclas

Just converted from phpbb and I have been flooded with complaints about IP's VNC. This is far and away the biggest complaint from my community members.

I'm in 100% agreement with the OP's request for this feature.

Just converted from phpbb and I have been flooded with complaints about IP's VNC. This is far and away the biggest complaint from my community members.

This feature already exists. It's a bug.
Can someone perhaps lock this topic as the feature suggested already exists??

use the fix listed a couple of posts above yours for now

Archived