Make "view new content" behave as expected by users of phpBB or vB

G Fox

IPB's "view new content" feature does not behave as users coming from phpBB or vBulletin expect.
They are expecting it to work like the 'view unread posts' feature in phpBB.

It shows a list of topics which include replies you have not read yet. This means it's marking individual posts (ie. replies) as having been read.

"View New Content" link (even when using either of the two search result types via user control panel), has a behaviour I don't expect.

For example, if I have read every single post and reply on my board, when I click the "View New Content" link, it should return zero results.
Yet it doesn't: I get threads showing up, even ones that I have read some time ago.

Changing the settings to the below improves it, but still does not make the IPB behave the way I'd like: which is it should return zero results if I've read every thing.

Tools & Settings >System Settings >
System >
CPU Saving & Optimization

Enable Topic Marking Tracking? yes
Cookie Topic Marking: No unread query no

Some discussion on this topic was over here originally.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I don't see why IPS chose a solution to show read threads under "new content" because the content is obviously not new when you've read it :P Having said that, I rather prefer using "stoo2000"s "Spy Content" mod which kind of do the same thing, just better ^^.

Are you changing the 'View New Content Method' setting in your My Settings page? There are two different ways this feature works, either by showing you all posts you haven't actually read, or showing you all new posts since your last visit. It sounds to me like you're using the latter version.

I do plan to overhaul VNC in 3.2.

That will be good to see Matt. Some of the issues center around the bugs reported here http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-25508-view-new-content-search-results/ whilst other issues include the lack of being able to admin default the desired search choice that users can select in their CP

What you want is a "View unread content" -feature.

That would be fine, if a second search was provided alongside 'view new content' which shows unread.
The outcome is still required though for any user who has more familiarity with the other board systems.

That would be fine, if a second search was provided alongside 'view new content' which shows unread.

The outcome is still required though for any user who has more familiarity with the other board systems.

While that is true, I don't think IPB will change just because vB does it differently. It is kind of the same as the thread/topic discussion that was heavily discussed before(and that I was very active in). The result is that if I want to call "topics" as "threads" instead, I can change that in the phrase system.

In your case, once a "view unread content" -feature has been built-in, you can rephrase it to "view new content" and you'll have your vB-alike feature :)

While that is true, I don't think IPB will change just because

To be clear: current implementation of 'view new content' is a little confusing for a moderator or other user who has to read every post.

In my forums, I like to look at every new post to check for behaviour.
(I heard that in the UK, there are laws which result in some webmasters on sites with goods for sale deciding to have a checking regime so that every post is reviewed by a moderator team.)

The 'view unread posts' feature of phpBB lets me get a list of topics and replies which I have not seen. I don't care if it's a new content, or really old necro-thread reply, if I have not read it, I want to know about it. It only shows those unread posts.
This functionality is what I'm looking for, and the current 'view new content' in IPB does not provide it; the result includes content which is 'new' but already read.

If I could work out how to write the SQL statement and hook, I'd implement this myself. I just don't know how to. It could be optional, for those who are converting from phpBB or vBulletin and want to retain a familiar functionality.

Just in case there is any misunderstanding, here is a screenshot.

While I totally agree with the OP, this seems to be a philosopical question. Either you see the "new content" from the perspective of the individual user (so, already read =! new) or you see it from the "perspective" of the forum (new content = content in the last X 'period of time')

New content lists the newest content.
I know what YOU want. You want a list of unread content. Which I support! I support IPB adding that feature. I don't support re-doing the current view new content to the "view unread content" that you want.

EDIT: I don't really understand why you even bring up "view new content" feature that IPB has. phpBB even calls their feature "view unread content" so I guess that's what you want.

I think what I want makes a lot of sense, and it doesn't seem too hard for a developer to understand intent.
If there are many people happy with current behaviour, then my request simply changes to being "add a new link which shows unread".

While that is true, I don't think IPB will change just because vB does it differently.

IPB is not changing. This bug has been fixed once in a previous version and there is an existing provision for all users to select "show content that is unread" already.
All we are asking for is:

• The bug to be fixed in 3.1.3 - which has been confirmed as a bug in the tracker
  • Admin to have the ability to select the default search options for all users (the users can change back if the need)

As it is, Matt is already planning to overhaul the VNS in 3.2 based on the suggestions being offered and the problems being experienced. :thumbsup:

IPB is not changing. This bug has been fixed once in a previous version and there is an existing provision for all users to select "show content that is unread" already.

All we are asking for is:

• The bug to be fixed in 3.1.3 - which has been confirmed as a bug in the tracker
  • Admin to have the ability to select the default search options for all users (the users can change back if the need)

As it is, Matt is already planning to overhaul the VNS in 3.2 based on the suggestions being offered and the problems being experienced. :thumbsup:

Finally a post that clear things up. Cheers for this. Now only if the OP wrote that in the firstpost it would've saved all this discussion xD

Updated my report in the tracker and got a reply from Technical:

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=tracker&showissue=23771&view=findpost&p=99414

"I see your added information, and the report has been flagged as "Confirmed - Ongoing Research". The developers are aware of the issues with VNC and working to correct them. We have no fix at this point. Please monitor the report for updates."

I'm not hopeful :(

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so, as I converted a bunch of sites from vb to IPB and the users hate the VNC and how it works.... I have been driving myself buts trying to make it act and work as it should....

It still is the biggest drawback to the forum.... I hope a fix comes soon as it's almost enough to put some sites with the large complaints back on VB and I don't want to do that.

I hope so, as I converted a bunch of sites from vb to IPB and the users hate the VNC and how it works.... I have been driving myself buts trying to make it act and work as it should....

It still is the biggest drawback to the forum.... I hope a fix comes soon as it's almost enough to put some sites with the large complaints back on VB and I don't want to do that.

I have been driving myself buts trying to make it act and work as it should....

"As it should" is completely individual, thus you shouldn't use that sentence. I think it works exactly like it should do already.
Honestly I don't understand why you guys can't see that the current VNC is working like it should and what you want is ANOTHER feature(or another filter to the current VNC-results).

"As it should" is completely individual, thus you shouldn't use that sentence. I think it works exactly like it should do already.

Honestly I don't understand why you guys can't see that the current VNC is working like it should and what you want is ANOTHER feature(or another filter to the current VNC-results).

Please take a look and open your mind....

I have the settings set to display all unread content.... yet when I view new content, some post that I have already read are showing. You can see here that IPB itself knows what's going on as it only displays the "new unread" image icon on the proper threads.... but for some reason it's also showing some that I have read.

Now here is the kicker.... after I read all the threads marked with the new un read icon.... the others that are showing in this picture.... will not show up anymore. YES that is a bug...... :)

Archived