Download: Automatic Topic Descriptions

Alan

File Name: Automatic Topic Descriptions
File Submitter: Alan CIT
File Submitted: 09 Oct 2010
File Updated: 10 Oct 2010
File Category: Hooks and Plugins

This hook will automatically generate topic descriptions if the author hasn't specified one.

It takes the first 70 characters of the post and uses that as the topic description.

For examples, see the screenshots below. 4 are of test topics I created and the other one shows the topic descriptions this mod automatically added.

Note: This hook requires IP.Board 3.1.2

Any questions / suggestions / issues / etc, feel free to ask :)

Updated to v1.0.1

• Now strips HTML and HTML encoded tags

Click here to download this file

Probably not much unless you despise the rarely used topic descriptions and the click-to-preview thing :)

Getting rid of topic descriptions and replacing it with a preview of the post is something I'd like to see in all forum software by default eventually, this is just my way of getting it done on my own sites :)

I do actually like this a lot, I know we have topic previews now, but you can see at a glance (where the poster has not used the topic description) a few words of the topic to see if you do want to look closer (either opening the preview or viewing the topic) :)

I meant getting rid of user-submitted topic descriptions as in my experience, users generally put nonsense in there that doesn't describe the topic at all :)

I'd much prefer if forum software generated the topic descriptions themselves using the text in the post rather than allow users to set it, that'll always be my dream anyway :D

I do actually like this a lot, I know we have topic previews now, but you can see at a glance (where the poster has not used the topic description) a few words of the topic to see if you do want to look closer (either opening the preview or viewing the topic) :)

Indeed, that was the theory behind it. It allows you to instantly see what the topic is about (well, 70 characters of it) without the extra click :)

Are you able to give me any sort of access to your ACP to take a look? I'm afraid I don't know what the problem could be at the moment.

I updated the Staff Online Sidebar Block hook last night to fix the bug with the settings now showing. If you update that one, it should show the settings :)

Make a post ? It will work when he creates a new topic!

That's a good point, are you making new topics or replying to existing ones? :)

Archived