Forum icons - are they really necessary?

Olivier Turbis

I am talking about the icons next to the topic titles in the forum view. Are they really necessary? I think it becomes obsolete and repetitive. I think that we should replace them with the topic starter's avatar and just bold the titles if there are new answers (like it is now). I also think we should just put a tiny icon next to the topic title so we know if we have replied to that topic.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally like the icons but i want them to be different for each forum/category. I know there is a mod that does that but it makes since to me to have it built in. might make it easier for skinners too because if you do not set an icon just do the above suggestion. So some of my forums can be the above and some can be with a custom icon.

Oliver we've got the icon if you have posted in a topic now or some skins have this. The attached image shows this in action in my forums.

I use custom forum icons on the forum index page. Just a matter of pasting in some html into the Topic title. However I think there should be a topic icon upload options without the need to use html or use a mod.

3DKiwi

Oliver we've got the icon if you have posted in a topic now or some skins have this. The attached image shows this in action in my forums.

I use custom forum icons on the forum index page. Just a matter of pasting in some html into the Topic title. However I think there should be a topic icon upload options without the need to use html or use a mod.

3DKiwi

Yes, but I don't think that icon should be integrated with the forum icons. My suggestion is: let's drop the forum icons because they are repetitive and we get it. I don't think there is a necessity to point out what topic is a poll, what topic is moved, etc. Instead, just use topic author's avatar to replace the 10 years old forum icon and make the topic title bold when there are new posts in that topic. If a topic is a poll/closed/moved, we could just use a tiny tag (like "PINNED" or "ANNOUNCEMENT").

I am talking about the icons next to the topic titles in the forum view. Are they really necessary? I think it becomes obsolete and repetitive. I think that we should replace them with the topic starter's avatar and just bold the titles if there are new answers (like it is now). I also think we should just put a tiny icon next to the topic title so we know if we have replied to that topic.

I agree with you that less equals more sometimes..

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. Do you mean like this:

post-141359-085915400 1286598203_thumb.p

Jamie

I agree with you that less equals more sometimes..

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. Do you mean like this:

post-141359-085915400 1286598203_thumb.p

Jamie

Haha, guess I'm not paying enough attention to XF. :lol:

That is a neat idea, though. I like that a lot. Definitely prefer that to the forum icons.

Not sure how I feel about this. I have always depended on the forum icons to let me know if there is new content in a thread. The bold title xf uses is not easy for me to detect. (older eyes) I do like the "mini-me" avatar to show I have responded to a thread. I think the key here is functionality. I have always favored skins with a flashing or changing icon that is easy to pick out. If an alternate display could be substituted, it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other. For me, the forum icon does serve a useful purpose.

Not sure how I feel about this. I have always depended on the forum icons to let me know if there is new content in a thread. The bold title xf uses is not easy for me to detect. (older eyes) I do like the "mini-me" avatar to show I have responded to a thread. I think the key here is functionality. I have always favored skins with a flashing or changing icon that is easy to pick out. If an alternate display could be substituted, it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other. For me, the forum icon does serve a useful purpose.

Hm, I usually depend on this icon to see if there's anything new:

%7Boption%7D

It seems a little redundant to have both that and the icons.

I don't think we were referring to removing the new post icons. But the icons to the left of them, indicating the status of the topic.

Edit - It would also be awesome if someone created a mod or tutorial on how to achieve this too.

Yeah, I know. I was just saying I personally never use the forum icons to see if there's something new anyway, I look at the new post icon. And it does seem a little redundant to have both that and the forum icons.

Yeah, I'd definitely love to know how to substitute the forum icons with avatars. A tutorial or mod or something would be quite nice.

Hm, I usually depend on this icon to see if there's anything new:

[img]

[/img]

It seems a little redundant to have both that and the icons.

Gotcha, I was lumping them together. As long as there is something there that's not too subtle, I can dig it. :ike:

I agree its visual pollution imho, also changing the forum icon per forum should be easier to do via the acp :)

Archived