Suggestion: Reports posted to nominated forum (rather than report centre)

Clickfinity

I'm not a VB convert- I just dislike it because I don't think it works very well. I thought VB didn't even have a report system.

All of my desires for the report center (make the reports center less out of the way, make it easier to have an actual discussion, make posts editable) would be easily accomplished in a forum board. The reports center is not convenient for discussion at all- I have to go into it any time I want to see if someone responded to me about something, and a lot of the time reports sit for a long time unanswered until I either post in the moderator forums, "can someone please reply in the report topic," or "let's just discuss this here instead." My mods and I hate the system and find it much less than ideal because it doesn't make communication between staff easy. On the forums, I just have to glance at the newest posts or the unread forum icon to see that someone has responded.

Yes, I can understand you not wanting to get rid of the report centre, but could an option be added to COPY the report into a forum?

That way those of us who would prefer to use a forum, could.

It's only a matter of creating a new topic - the report content is already being created for the report itself so I wouldn't imagine it would add too much coding would it?

Cheers,

Shaun :D

This would really be exactly what I'd like. I'm not asking to take away the reports center for those who like it as it is, but I'd love an option to make it easier for my needs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit I would like the 'option' to also post them to a designated forum.... Dont want to get rid of the report center, however for example I would have it posted to my staff room which is the first place my staff are told to visit on the forum. We can have a conversation on the action to be taken if neccesary and who is to deal with it, then the report itself in the report center can be dealt with by that member of staff.

Just a scenario anyways :) ... I do however like the report center and it does bring things to attention rather quickly.

I think the Report Center is fine as a standalone module, but right now it is a bit disjointed from the forum. Begin able to visit the RC and see any new reports and reports with new comments would go a long way into making it more useful. Getting notifications when new comments have been posted in a report would also help (I'm using 3.0.5 at the moment, so maybe this made it into 3.1?)

I also don't like how permissions for the RC are in a world all by themselves. I forget this sometimes when creating new moderator-related groups and have to fish around for them again.

Brandon, better integration between the Warn panel and the Report Center would be welcome. Making it easier to keep tabs on users, topics, PMs and so forth from within the forum would also be useful. For instance, a hook that can be displayed on the main page (on the right), with info about currently unresolved reports that you have permission to resolve.

While inside the RC, being able to quickly view a user's past actions (from the warn panel) would be helpful--for instance, how many times has this user been reported (profile, individual posts, PMs, etc.)? Would make it easier to gauge whether this user has a history of being a pain in the ass or if it's just this one user.

Same thing with threads--it'd be useful to know how many times a particular thread (as opposed to a single post in a thread) has been reported, and by how many different users. This makes troublesome threads that really need action stand out so someone can take action quickly.

I could go on, but that's all for now. :)

..Al

Brandon, better integration between the Warn panel and the Report Center would be welcome. Making it easier to keep tabs on users, topics, PMs and so forth from within the forum would also be useful. For instance, a hook that can be displayed on the main page (on the right), with info about currently unresolved reports that you have permission to resolve.

While I'd still prefer to have the RC in a forum for easier accessibility, this seems like a great alternate solution. A hook that shows active reports, and the last time they were posted in and by whom, would help greatly with keeping everyone up to date on what's going on in the report center without having to check it constantly for new replies from other staff members. I still would prefer using a forum, but I think this would be a decent enough compromise.

I also think the suggestion for more integration between the warn system and the reports center is a good one.

If you want reports posted as topics in a forum, it should be relatively simple to write a hook to achieve that. Or, since there is an RSS feed for the Report Center, you could always use the RSS Import feature to import items from there into a forum.

Of course, the downside to either of these two solutions is that they negate the whole 'who has permission to deal with reports' aspect of the report center, since all topics would be dumped into a forum and visible to anyone who has access to said forum.

Here's an idea.

When a report is made, it (optionally) uses a chosen forum to generate a topic. In the topic, the first post would be the report itself and replies would be the discussion. The topic post could include a link to the report in the report center, where actual action could be taken. Similar in fashion to how IP.Downloads works with files and IP.Content works with articles.

I don't think we all agree on the best direction to move forward, however I will say there are a lot of ideas in this thread that I think we can look into. As I said, updates to the report center are on our radar, so I'll make some internal notes about this topic.

Keep any other ideas coming. I would love to share some of our existing ideas, but until we really finalize them I don't want to get into "maybes".

Tracking whether you've read a report or not is entirely possible. That is really the only suggestion you posed in your last reply that I can see?

This alone would be a godsend. Combine that with the ability to assign usergroups to the Report Center and I'd quit complaining about it. :D

Oh, don't worry ... I wasn't being sarcastic or anything; I know you guys listen and am looking forward to future updates and features ... I'm just still finding my feet and hoping that by mentioning things in - what I hope is a positive way - some of it may "stick" or at least help towards positive improvements to the product suite for the future.

The direct interaction I can have with the development team here is something you don't often find in commercial organisations, and it is really refreshing.

Just keep doing what you're doing ... it's working well so far ... :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite happy having a separate reports centre - but it really has to have a new post notification to make it fully usable. As others have said, we usually start a new topic in the staff forum, to ensure that the report gets fully discussed. If the report centre had unread notifications, we could continue discussion in there. :)

Good to see IPB taking notice of this and agreeing to improve the feature, I have found the report centre to be ok if you only get a few reports a week. I woke up to no less than 19 reports this morning after being offline for 24 hours... I didn't have a clue where to start and who had done what.

If they were simply listed in order of report rather than severity it would have made it so much easier.

Looking forward to seeing the improvements IPB :thumbsup:

Archived