Please add birthday on registration

Christophe

I would like to have the birthdate field added as well. I still run some of my sites using vBulletin and it's an optional field that can't toggled on and off in the admin panel.

A mandatory birthdate field has many good benefits, including adding a small level of security to a users account as it gives me a point of reference for verifying a user's account when they've lost their login info and changed their email address.

Also, as others have said, if you restrict your site to a certain age group, it's much better to have someone's birthdate on file than not.

Perhaps a solution that would please everyone is to have the birthdate on signup as an optional field that can be toggled on and off - that way everyone is happy. :)

-Chris

I agree on adding the birthday as an optional feature - however it is essential that the year is optional - what has the persons age got to do with the site?

If someone wishes to give their birthday great, but year is nobody's business - heck I am well over 100 on several forums LOL

Having said all the above, I am now going to contradict myself and say that if we had peoples ages we could display certain content to people of a certain age - not only forums, but data or adverts tailored to age groups.

So from a users point of view keep the year optional, from a marketing view try and enforce it. Maybe make the year optional, but do not tell the users ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm speaking personally here, but our philosophy is to keep the registration process as simple as possible - users tend to balk at long registration routines, so you want to have it as simple as possible. To that end, we'll actually be simplifying it further in future releases. In most cases, a birth date isn't essential information to get a user registered on your site, so it is left out.

I think a better solution to this would be some incentive for members to complete their profile more fully - though I don't have any solid ideas on how that would be done.

This is not a good answer. Not at all.

It's not Invision's place to tell its users what should and should not be required for registration. You folks have no idea how we are each using this product. The requests in this thread are perfectly reasonable...and I need this capability as well.

There is already a section in IPB config where I can make any number of profile fields required for registration - e.g., gender, location, interests. The product also supports adding custom profile fields and making them required for registration...but adding a custom birth date field makes no sense given that it is already a profile field. What many of us want is simply the ability to have that field available on the "Custom Profile Field Management" page. It should be an option in the "Custom Profile Field Management" page. It can be disabled by default, but it should be an option.

Seriously, "interests" can be specified as a field required for registration but date of birth cannot? That is ridiculous.

Please add this feature ASAP.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

It's a legal thing, aside from a "beware" thing. If the user gives false information, that's not a problem with the staff of the site unless they know of the user's real age and do nothing to abid to their rules and laws.

I would like to have the birthdate field added as well. [...]

Perhaps a solution that would please everyone is to have the birthdate on signup as an optional field that can be toggled on and off - that way everyone is happy. [img]

[/img]

-Chris

This is not a good answer. Not at all.

It's not Invision's place to tell its users what should and should not be required for registration. You folks have no idea how we are each using this product. The requests in this thread are perfectly reasonable...and I need this capability as well.

There is already a section in IPB config where I can make any number of profile fields required for registration - e.g., gender, location, interests. The product also supports adding custom profile fields and making them required for registration...but adding a custom birth date field makes no sense given that it is already a profile field. What many of us want is simply the ability to have that field available on the "Custom Profile Field Management" page. It should be an option in the "Custom Profile Field Management" page. It can be disabled by default, but it should be an option.

Seriously, "interests" can be specified as a field required for registration but date of birth cannot? That is ridiculous.

Please add this feature ASAP.

For these reasons I'd really like to see an official answer from the IPS team. The last reply is from March 2011!

Will this feature be available soon?

Thanks in advance!

I don t understand why you need to have a mod to be able to show the date of birth as a field to enter on the registration page.

One would expect to have Birthday something pretty obvious to have to enter if you have a functionality to show birthdays on the homepage and on the calendars.

Being able to capture that information AS people register is better than waiting on them to have to go to their profile and change it. This is because the profiles are confusing for people who have never used forums and can t find all the settings. Having the DOB on the registration page as a field you could enter on registration makes so much sense...any reason why it is not there in the first place?

Also it seems that there are issues with the dob mod so one more reason to add that functionality in a future release.

Wow, this is so obvious. It sure would be nice to automatically send birthday greetings to members, like VB does.

As a company using IP.Board for customer technical support, I have no use for customer birthdays, and for privacy reasons I don't want to be recording customer birthdays (particularly since messageboards have some tendency to get hacked). Is there some quick way to clear out birthdays from our database?

Hi,

There's a free hook available for this matter:

http://community.inv...tration-screen/

Thanks Adriano, I'll definitely look into it, but that doesn't dispense IPS to give an official answer.

As a paying customer, I would like to have their answer on this very simple question. Using a custom mod is totally different from having a default setting.

I don't ask to implement it now, am asking if IPS will ever implement such option... As ZakRhyno puts it, it ought to be an option for the administrator and an official answer could just inform whether or not they agree.

Even though there might be good reason to try and keep registration simple and quick, there's no reason to dismiss totally the possibility of asking the age upon registration.

That is a belief that any one can lie about their age on internet, but this assumption doesn't allow IPS to not provide for such option on registration.

Now, is there a IPS tech around that could come up with a proper answer on why the date of birth is not an option in the registration field but "interest" is?

I would really appreciate to understand the logic being such decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on adding the birthday as an optional feature - however it is essential that the year is optional - what has the persons age got to do with the site? If someone wishes to give their birthday great, but year is nobody's business

It's definitely my business, literally. I run an alcohol-related board and I'm obligated to take reasonable measures to insure that registrants are of legal drinking age.

Yes, we all know that people can and do lie on these things, but I still need to attempt to collect the information. Kids use fake IDs to get into clubs, should we just stop requiring IDs at the door?

I just switched up from 2.5.3 to 3.3.4 and spent half the afternoon trying to figure out where birthdays went.

Having a birthdate feature available to admins as an option is a no-brainer, IMO, and I can't for the life of me imagine why IPS would push back on something so common-sense.

• 2 months later...

I'm speaking personally here, but our philosophy is to keep the registration process as simple as possible - users tend to balk at long registration routines, so you want to have it as simple as possible. To that end, we'll actually be simplifying it further in future releases. In most cases, a birth date isn't essential information to get a user registered on your site, so it is left out.

I think a better solution to this would be some incentive for members to complete their profile more fully - though I don't have any solid ideas on how that would be done.

Why not just put it in and allow the Admin of the system to choose do add it to the Reg. or not?

• 1 month later...

It seems that I cant find an option to add or remove fields from registration page. What am I doing wrong? Is there some hidden menu?

On your custom profile feeds setting on each item you have the following option (if all your other settings are correct) and a lot of people goof on this:

"Make Admin and Super Moderator Editable/Viewable Only?" select as "No"

On your custom profile feeds setting on each item you have the following option (if all your other settings are correct) and a lot of people goof on this:

"Make Admin and Super Moderator Editable/Viewable Only?" select as "No"

Bad idea. If you use birthday as a custom field it won't appear on Calendar, right? Consequently won't appear on birthday hook.

That's why there's separated columns on members table.

Take a hint from reddit and provide the fields required for registration right next to the log in form.
Also, please get rid of the mobile skin. :)

Archived