Please add birthday on registration

Christophe

I don t understand why you need to have a mod to be able to show the date of birth as a field to enter on the registration page.
One would expect to have Birthday something pretty obvious to have to enter if you have a functionality to show birthdays on the homepage and on the calendars.

Being able to capture that information AS people register is better than waiting on them to have to go to their profile and change it. This is because the profiles are confusing for people who have never used forums and can t find all the settings. Having the DOB on the registration page as a field you could enter on registration makes so much sense...any reason why it is not there in the first place?

Also it seems that there are issues with the dob mod so one more reason to add that functionality in a future release.

I'm speaking personally here, but our philosophy is to keep the registration process as simple as possible - users tend to balk at long registration routines, so you want to have it as simple as possible. To that end, we'll actually be simplifying it further in future releases. In most cases, a birth date isn't essential information to get a user registered on your site, so it is left out.

I think a better solution to this would be some incentive for members to complete their profile more fully - though I don't have any solid ideas on how that would be done.

As a designer I agree that simple is always better. I was only mentioning this so that there is an option to add it to the registration form if the board admin wants to.
Because otherwise I am not sure what to do to make it appear as a field but not be forced to fill it.

I am happy to have a custom mod made but those are a pain in the sphincter to deal with every time a board update is released. I just thought that having an 'option' to include it on the initial registration page maybe in the additional fields area. Also as a sidenote the 'required' fields are not shown on the registration page as 'Required'. One has to put something like [REQUIRED] in the description. That should probably be shown maybe as a red line as it is annoying to submit something, then get an error message saying you need to enter 3 more fields.

If aging is the issue, use the COPPA form ;)
Personally I agree that only the needed info to register should be on the registration form, all the rest is part of customizing an account if they want to. And isn't it true that you can already make any field to show on registration form and eventualy make it a reuired field or not using the AdminCP? I think everything is there to suite everyone needs.

There's no sense in restricting ages. People that want to see the content will.

If a person who doesn't fully understand what something is or aren't old enough to have been around the block a few times, there's stuff out there that would be pretty shocking.

If a person who doesn't fully understand what something is or aren't old enough to have been around the block a few times, there's stuff out there that would be pretty shocking.

This is the internet, if your not aware there's some pretty disturbing stuff on it.. Than you probably should not be on it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree, we run a mature gaming community and require members to be 15 or older, sure its easy to fake it but we dont announce the age requirement, we let them enter their DOB and if they are under 15 they dont get in.

So the need to fake the DOB on our forums is obsolete since they dont know about it.
Now we let them enter their DoB in their first mandatory post, but this obviously dont link it to their profile field, so they never have any anniversaries and it wont show in the leftPane.

Telling them to update it dont work and manually update hundreds of members is not ideal for my admins.

So the "option" to have DOB on Registration gets a +1 from me.

PS. The DOB mod stopped working with 3.1.x

• 3 weeks later...

Birth day on the registration may be a good idea cause it is needed in some countries to show that the users say there what ever the legal age is. Maybe building it in as an option for Admins to put up on the registration page and leave it up to them to choose.

• 2 months later...

The fact that Birthdate is not a REQUIRED field and has no method of being included on the registration form is preventing me from migrating from 2.3.6 to 3.1.4. I have both running, but disallow access to the 3.1.4 installation. My site is strictly an 18+ site. Yes, coppa can be altered to 18 instead of 13... yet why can't the birthdate in coppa be entered into the member profile?

(OV22) Enhanced Registration v1.0 by Chelsove took care of this in 2.2.x. I'm guessing that this author has no intention of updating the mod for 3.x.x as the author no longer appears to be an IPB member anymore.

Rikki Says:

I'm speaking personally here, but our philosophy is to keep the registration process as simple as possible - users tend to balk at long registration routines, so you want to have it as simple as possible. To that end, we'll actually be simplifying it further in future releases. In most cases, a birth date isn't essential information to get a user registered on your site, so it is left out.

I think a better solution to this would be some incentive for members to complete their profile more fully - though I don't have any solid ideas on how that would be done.

but I see many, many, many members requesting this over many YEARS and IPB has been mostly unresponsive. The registration options should be completely up to the customer and their sites needs and the software should be flexible enough to choose what to include and what not to include. Gender and Location are included... why NOT birthdate?

(DP30) Birthday in Register Form is not functioning properly in 3.1.4. Certainly one of you amazing coders is up for this challenge? But having Invision add birthdate to the ranks of Gender and Location is much more feasible.

I really want to move on with 3.1.4....

For every 1 person who requests this here, there's probably another 100 that don't care or don't see a need for it.. So acting like those who post here are the majority is slightly skewed because it's not.

I Do find it kind of funny, that those who demand these function's be added to the core product are often the one's who have no knowledge on how to code it or make it happen in the first place (easier to tell someone else to do it for you right?)

I solved the issue on my board by adding a Year of Birth required dropdown on the registration page.
That way new members MUST fill in the year of birth that will be hidden and then on the profile page they can enter their full birthdate.

I understand why IPB does not want to add too much on the registration page and the app is good enough to be customizable.

If you must absolutely have birthday on the registration you should have no problem finding someone here to make a custom hook for you but my recommendation is to do what I did and that is to add a custom field...people can lie about their age anyway and I have the default year set as 2010 so if someone has a birthday as 2010 I know they lied on the application and just delete their accounts immediately

I have been using Elad's birthday in registration hook since I updated to 3.1.4 and it works like a charm. All his mods are excellent. Anyone needing this like I do would be satisfied. My post #11 here when I was inquiring about one.

You can set it to require or optional or not show at all. I have it set to require. Yes, they can lie on their DOB but it's a good way for me to send them a birthday greeting (even if it's on the wrong birthday) to remind them that we are still here. I don't run a child's board and I can see where this can come into play as well. It helps keep spam away. Members that are serious sign up for the board.

Thank you Elad.

I am selling a custom Date of Birth in Registration hook (no skin/file edits), please contact me if interested. You can also choose whether a birthday is required or not to complete registration.

wow where i can find this,guess i have to log in you're site right :)

I solved the issue on my board by adding a Year of Birth required dropdown on the registration page.That way new members MUST fill in the year of birth that will be hidden and then on the profile page they can enter their full birthdate.I understand why IPB does not want to add too much on the registration page and the app is good enough to be customizable.If you must absolutely have birthday on the registration you should have no problem finding someone here to make a custom hook for you but my recommendation is to do what I did and that is to add a custom field...people can lie about their age anyway and I have the default year set as 2010 so if someone has a birthday as 2010 I know they lied on the application and just delete their accounts immediately

I use this, however it's not linked to the calendar etc.. so you would have to go to all the thousands of members profile to see their DoB to give them their birthday VIP.

I am selling a custom Date of Birth in Registration hook (no skin/file edits), please contact me if interested. You can also choose whether a birthday is required or not to complete registration.

Nevermind my first quote, PM sent.

I have been using Elad's birthday in registration hook since I updated to 3.1.4 and it works like a charm. All his mods are excellent. Anyone needing this like I do would be satisfied. My post #11 here when I was inquiring about one.

You can set it to require or optional or not show at all. I have it set to require. Yes, they can lie on their DOB but it's a good way for me to send them a birthday greeting (even if it's on the wrong birthday) to remind them that we are still here. I don't run a child's board and I can see where this can come into play as well. It helps keep spam away. Members that are serious sign up for the board.

Thank you Elad.

Thanks a lot for the feedback Worldoversea! It was a pleasure doing business with you. :)

There's no sense in restricting ages. People that want to see the content will.

It's a legal thing, aside from a "beware" thing. If the user gives false information, that's not a problem with the staff of the site unless they know of the user's real age and do nothing to abid to their rules and laws.

Archived