Better Add-ons, hooks, products system

esquire

In many ways I think IPB is a much better product than vBulletin. It doesn't need all the plugins and extras that are extras for vBulletin. But what is challenging is that another reason for fewer add-ons is that they all seem to require modification to the core files. I haven't used the system long and haven't added many add-ons but I can already see updating with every release being an incredible pain. it will be very difficult to remember which files have been modified by what and then having to remember each file that must be updated. vBulletin has an excellent products system where it's upload and then plug and play, for the most part. I'm not sure how they accomplish this but it's something that I think IPB very much needs. Others can expound upon this.

In many ways I think IPB is a much better product than vBulletin. It doesn't need all the plugins and extras that are extras for vBulletin. But what is challenging is that another reason for fewer add-ons is that they all seem to require modification to the core files. I haven't used the system long and haven't added many add-ons but I can already see updating with every release being an incredible pain. it will be very difficult to remember which files have been modified by what and then having to remember each file that must be updated. vBulletin has an excellent products system where it's upload and then plug and play, for the most part. I'm not sure how they accomplish this but it's something that I think IPB very much needs. Others can expound upon this.

To be fair, your statement is mostly inaccurate.. Very FEW modifications and Addons for IP.Board 3.x require Source Modifications.. To the extent IPS Staff has subtly commented that good add ons don't require them, and unless there's a specific change to core behavior there shouldn't be a need to make source changes.

For IP Board you upload the files and the xml files, go into ACP.. install & configure if required... This goes for Skins, Addons, Modifications, Applications

To be fair, your statement is mostly inaccurate.. Very FEW modifications and Addons for IP.Board 3.x require Source Modifications.. To the extent IPS Staff has subtly commented that good add ons don't require them, and unless there's a specific change to core behavior there shouldn't be a need to make source changes.

My use of addons here has resulted in the need to have core files hacked. For example, the prefix addon which is great. In order to drop anything into search you need to hack core files, apparently. Are there add-ons that can easily drop in new search variables? As I said, it has just been my experience so far.

Archived