Bulk Mailer produces error messages / takes ages to send Emails

ameen

I have used vBulletin in the past and their Bulk Mailer can send HUNDREDS of Emails in just a couple of seconds. Compared to this IPB Bulk Mailer takes many minutes just to send a handful of Emails. Also vBulletin produces no database error messages like I have experienced multiple times with IPB. Obviously vBulletin are using a more reliable system for sending Bulk Mail in the Admin CP. Why doesn't IPB consider the same system as used by vBulletin?

I thought raising the 'Emails per cycles' is not recommended in order to prevent the server from overloading / crashing?

That depends on your server. You claimed that the old vBulliten forum was able to send more emails at once, so your server should be able to handle a higher limit. If you were able to send hundreds of emails with vB, you should be able to send hundreds with IPB as well. :thumbsup:

With IPB, even a SINGLE cycle takes at least a couple of minutes to complete. This is nothing compared to the SECOND which vBulletin takes. vBulletin are obviously using a better system for sending the Emails.

Bulk Mail "Cycles" are a "System Task" within your IPB Install, and the time between then is dynamically assigned to space them out over time. Its intentionally designed not to blast out emails all at once. It can still be done to send the emails rapidly, all at once, if you go around this. I've sent 300 emails in two minutes.

Most likely, vB simply just sends all the emails all at once. IPB does not start sending anything until the task is activated, and then it waits to send more until the task runs again.

Sounds like a weak system, to 'base it on activity'. I'm sure vBulletin don't do that and they're obviously doing the right thing with the Bulk Emailer. IPB has outdone vB in many respects but unfortunately this is nto one of them.

Sounds like a weak system, to 'base it on activity'. I'm sure vBulletin don't do that and they're obviously doing the right thing with the Bulk Emailer. IPB has outdone vB in many respects but unfortunately this is nto one of them.

I totally disagree. IPB's "cycles" system is far superior to blasting out a ton of emails all at once. It works great on both an oversold shared server and a super server.
That said, if you do have a powerful server, it's pretty easy to manually configure it to "blast" all the emails out. But for the majority of users, Cycles > Blasting.

I prefer the IPS one, granted their email error logging is terrible beyond imagination..

If you are having issues, simply take the CURL in the ACP tasks section and create a Cron job to run the process every 1, 5, 10 minutes (or what ever works for you). Also using SMTP over PHP()Mail will gain slight performance gains.

Archived