Quote the last post

Axel Wers

Don't see what the issue is. If the last post is a long one, and I want to quote a portion of it, I'll use the "Reply" button and then edit the quote. If users are using the "Add Reply" button all the time, rather than using the quick reply by clicking on the text box, that's a user education issue. The existing system is just fine.

...that's a user education issue.

Yah... I've been "educating" them for years and to little effect. A substantial electric shock every time someone does this would maybe be more effective. :hyper:

It is an issue that could be largely solved by renaming the "Reply" button to "Quote". Thus there would be "Quote" and "MultiQuote" buttons for each post.

If the last post is a long one, and I want to quote a portion of it, I'll use the "Reply" button and then edit the quote.

You're right, but they are too lazy to edit it :-/

that's a user education issue.

Unfortunately.

If it's a busy topic, with lots of posts coming quickly, and you don't quote the post you want to be replying to, it might get confusing.

In this case it's usefull, yes.

Yah... I've been "educating" them for years and to little effect.

The same here.

It is an issue that could be largely solved by renaming the "Reply" button to "Quote". Thus there would be "Quote" and "MultiQuote" buttons for each post.

I made it, but it has very little effect :(

• 3 weeks later...

You can add a reply button by editing the topic view template.

Find:

<li><a href="{parse url="module=post&amp;section=post&amp;do=reply_post&amp;f={$this->request['f']}&amp;t={$this->request['t']}&amp;qpid={$post['post']['pid']}" base="publicWithApp"}" title="{$this->lang->words['tt_reply_to_post']}">{parse replacement="reply_post_icon"} {$this->lang->words['post_reply']}</a></li>

Add below

<li><a href='{$displayData['reply_button']['url']}' title='{$this->lang->words['topic_add_reply']}' accesskey='r'>{parse replacement="{$displayData['reply_button']['image']}_icon"} {$this->lang->words['topic_add_reply']}</a></li>

Hope this helps. I edited the language file to make the Quote reply button actually say Quote reply.

3DKiwi

• 10 years later...
23 hours ago, SeNioR- said:

You can hide the "Quote" button for all posts using CSS:

.cPost li[data-ipsquote-editor="topic_comment"]{display:none;}

I don't need to hide the button in all posts. I am using this code to hide the quote button in the last post on the page:

article:last-of-type li[data-ipsquote-editor="topic_comment"] {
  display: none;
}

This is not a bad solution, but I want to hide the button in the last post of the topic.