Close to Moving Back to Vbulletin

RonR

I think that is the perceived problem.

A new feature has to be heavily suggested, then IPS have to feel it is useful and then IPS will see about including it with no guarantee.

I'm afraid we're not going to guarantee that we will include every suggestion, even when we feel it has no use.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm afraid we're not going to guarantee that we will include every suggestion, even when we feel it has no use.

Did I say you would?

My point was the way that it had been written was that IPS will only consider suggestions if both many people request it and IPS like anything that has been requested a lot.

So if only a few people make a suggestion on a feature that would benefit a product IPS will not even consider it unless a lot of people like it first, even if someone in IPS thinks that it is a great idea.

That is the perceived view IMHO - whether it is right or wrong and when IPS state it with emphasis it only backs up that perception.

So has he moved back?

I'm waiting for Page 6

:D

Seriously though, Matt says "Moderation features in 3.2" - well that' a mighty fine carrot you're dangling there...

It would help though, if he at least gave a broad view of what he actually means by that, after all, all it could be is rolling everything currently there, into one drop down tab on the front end, which doesn't actually help.

Did I say you would?

My point was the way that it had been written was that IPS will only consider suggestions if both many people request it and IPS like anything that has been requested a lot.

So if only a few people make a suggestion on a feature that would benefit a product IPS will not even consider it unless a lot of people like it first, even if someone in IPS thinks that it is a great idea.

That is the perceived view IMHO - whether it is right or wrong and when IPS state it with emphasis it only backs up that perception.

Can you point me to where we've ever said that phrase, exactly? I'm happy to go edit any such posts.

If this is clearer for you: "we include the suggestions we think will most benefit the product". We do not use the raw number of times it was suggested, or any other specific metric for that matter, to determine if it's time to consider a suggestion. We listen to all requests made and make a determination whether we think the suggestion has merit or not.

Suggestions made over and over again are given a little bit more consideration because obviously more of our customer base are interested in such a change. This is natural I think, and was not aware it required much explanation. Additionally, if our staff or management team like a particular suggestion, I think it's natural we will probably consider that suggestion a bit deeper. There are literally thousands of features I have wanted to include at one point or another but have not been able to for any number of reasons - just because someone here likes an idea does not mean it's automatically included, and just because a suggestion is made many times does not mean it is automatically included.

Perhaps let's approach this from a different angle - where do you draw your perceived view from, exactly?

• 1 year later...

The suggestion I was going to make (and still will) is to have reports posted into a nominated moderators forum.

It's easier to discuss things in a forum, the logic works better because the "active" threads are at the top of the forum, and you can edit posts / comments (which you can't in the report centre.) It's also easier to search and look back through.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but it seems we should have done our homework extensively before moving to IPB. Now our moderators are feeling disoriented and demotivated. Ability to discuss the reported content was a good time pass and a good way to let off steam.

Anyway I need to know two things if someone has been able to do it.
  1. [*]Can the reported content be posted in a forum where everyone can discuss it? [*]How can I set the option so that all the moderators can see each others report and comment on it. Currently only the global moderators see the reported content from all over the forum. A section moderator can only see reports in his or her own section. This is causing a general uneasiness among mods and their involvement has decreased manifold.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but it seems we should have done our homework extensively before moving to IPB. Now our moderators are feeling disoriented and demotivated. Ability to discuss the reported content was a good time pass and a good way to let off steam.

Anyway I need to know two things if someone has been able to do it.[list=1] [*]Can the reported content be posted in a forum where everyone can discuss it? [*]How can I set the option so that all the moderators can see each others report and comment on it. Currently only the global moderators see the reported content from all over the forum. A section moderator can only see reports in his or her own section. This is causing a general uneasiness among mods and their involvement has decreased manifold.

[/list]

Have you used the report center yet?

The report center allows groups who have access to it to discuss reports and mark them as solved/review/closed. The report center permissions can be configured in each member group.

Have you used the report center yet?

The report center allows groups who have access to it to discuss reports and mark them as solved/review/closed. The report center permissions can be configured in each member group.

Yes I have used it extensively. That still does not answer either of my 2 questions thats why I posted. I need all the moderators to be able to participate in all the reports. Right now they cannot see the report from the section that they are not the moderator of. I need that functionality without making everyone a global moderator.

Yes I have used it extensively. That still does not answer either of my 2 questions thats why I posted. I need all the moderators to be able to participate in all the reports. Right now they cannot see the report from the section that they are not the moderator of. I need that functionality without making everyone a global moderator.

The report center permissions can be configured in each member group.

Forums I've been moderator on had open discussion for advice, opinion, and clarification. I sympathize with your situation.

Not sure what you are implying here.

Please read the first sentence from my post that you quoted. I appreciate you taking the effort to answer my query but have you used this yourself. Try configuring two moderators who are moderators in different forum sections and then see if they can see reports from each others sections.

Maybe I will raise a support ticket for this but I think I will be told that it is not possible. No harm in trying though.

Not sure what you are implying here.

Please read the first sentence from my post that you quoted. I appreciate you taking the effort to answer my query but have you used this yourself. Try configuring two moderators who are moderators in different forum sections and then see if they can see reports from each others sections.

Maybe I will raise a support ticket for this but I think I will be told that it is not possible. No harm in trying though.

I have 3 groups that can view and comment on reports. Changing the member group settings is all I remember doing. But I don't know about the seeing of reports of stuff not in their sections.

Im confused.... is not the whole point of sectional moderators(moderators that moderate specific forums) to NOT have them accessing reports in forums they are not moderators of?
To a moderator of, say, specifically the marketplace forum, reports made on spam in pre-sales seems like a whole lot of stuff one would not want nor need to sift through to moderate Their forum.... just trying to get the point of showing reports an individual could take no action on as not a moderator of that forum.

Im confused.... is not the whole point of sectional moderators(moderators that moderate specific forums) to NOT have them accessing reports in forums they are not moderators of?

To a moderator of, say, specifically the marketplace forum, reports made on spam in pre-sales seems like a whole lot of stuff one would not want nor need to sift through to moderate Their forum.

I am not questioning the logic behind it as I agree on whatever you have said. I am just asking if this can be done.

At my forum the section moderator can moderate his own forum but would like to participate in the discussion with all the moderators. Currently they feel isolated from their peers.

PS: Can one of the mods move this discussion to a new topic. I should not have posted in this thread as it might be getting unnecessary attention due to its topic title.

I am not questioning the logic behind it as I agree on whatever you have said. I am just asking if this can be done.

At my forum the section moderator can moderate his own forum but would like to participate in the discussion with all the moderators. Currently they feel isolated from their peers.

...Is that not more appropriate for a moderator discussion forum?
simply trying to see the reasoning and approach behind using reports as a discussion hub.... are reports not a call to action to deal with the reported item?

...Is that not more appropriate for a moderator discussion forum?

simply trying to see the reasoning and approach behind using reports as a discussion hub.... are reports not a call to action to deal with the reported item?

They need a discussion hub, whether it is a forum or a report center. If they can't see a report they won't know that there is something to discuss. And it is not possible to manually start a thread for every report. Some of these reports are straightforward and require no discussion. A lot of those require internal discussion.

Call to action may need deliberation before the action and sometimes it is just plain cursing to let off steam. :)

Think of it as a workplace with everyone sitting in their cabin as compared to everyone sharing a cubicle. The workplace is more fun when you can chit chat about your ongoing daily issues without having to dial an extension and setting up a conference call.

They need a discussion hub, whether it is a forum or a report center. If they can't see a report they won't know that there is something to discuss. And it is not possible to manually start a thread for every report. Some of these reports are straightforward and require no discussion. A lot of those require internal discussion.

Call to action may need deliberation before the action and sometimes it is just plain cursing to let off steam. :smile:

Think of it as a workplace with everyone sitting in their cabin as compared to everyone sharing a cubicle. The workplace is more fun when you can chit chat about your ongoing daily issues without having to dial an extension and setting up a conference call.

just create a Staff / Moderator forum. Its what practically all the forums I know use.

just create a Staff / Moderator forum. Its what practically all the forums I know use.

:no:
Is there a facepalm smiley that I can use

And it is not possible to manually start a thread for every report.

Anyway coming back to what I said in the beginning. One should evaluate software more thoroughly before migrating or such self cursing moments ensue.

:no:

Is there a facepalm smiley that I can use

Anyway coming back to what I said in the beginning. One should evaluate software more thoroughly before migrating or such self cursing moments ensue.

... an option is all you seek is it not?
in many cases, showing rather private details reported from one forum has no business being seen/commented on by mods of another, but I do see your need/point.

What did vBulletin allow you to do?

Any reported content went into a designated forum as a thread where everyone could see and comment. Agreed it was not as sophisticated as the IPB report center (I really like it BTW), but it allowed them to discuss and have fun at work. Now not everyone can see the reports.

Archived