Community

Kier's new forum script: Xenforo

As a former vb board owner, I don't feel this is vb all over again as far as anything.

For those that don't know the entire situation, there are two versions of vb. The version that was designed and updated by the people that started xenForo, and now the one that is done by vBulletin Solutions. There weren't many people who jumped ship on vb when it was done by the xenForo people because the majority of them loved the software. There have been a lot - myself included - that left when vBulletin Solutions took over and jacked up the software.

Vb had its share of problems before IB took over. I think its important to not ignore the lack of communication and features being requested by customers but not being added. In instead there was features the developers wanted.
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that's just the excitement talking. In the cold light of day, I doubt many could switch to an unfinished product regardless of how promising it is. Early adopters are likely to be new small

This has been an interesting, worthwhile discussion and many great points have been raised throughout. Nonetheless, I don't feel it's appropriate to host discussion of the legal dispute between Intern

As the saying goes "Stay tuned..." 3.2 was always going to be a refinement release. 3.0 introduced the new framework, 3.1 added much needed functionality so it's time to take stock and clean up our

They have never broken out the 2 entities revenue that contribute to that licensing income. vb sales could be 0 and that might still be the case.

Funny - I noticed the same thing too and they specifically mentioned Autodata sales being primarily responsible for the leap. Considering what happened this quarter, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to report the same way.

That's no longer the case. It's now the software that the new guard screwed up (they are now releasing another bug fix for the absolutely final version that came out last week) and the new software that I'm now firmly convinced is hopeless until next year at earliest. Those are the reasons I'm here and very likely converting, despite the pain factor involved.

That is exactly what I was saying bro.

Vb had its share of problems before IB took over. I think its important to not ignore the lack of communication and features being requested by customers but not being added. In instead there was features the developers wanted.

Yeah--there were a lot of feature requests before IB took over that vb didn't implement, but I wouldn't say they had huge problems. You weren't seeing the defection of customers en masse. The reason was because the software was bulletproof, easyt to mod, and had a huge modding community.

I used vB for nearly 5 years before converting to IPB last fall. I started with vB back in the 3.0.5 days. As vB went through the maturation process, I found myself being disappointed more and more. Glaring issues were going ignored, whilst new features were being added. And some of those new features were nothing more than bloat. It was clear back when vB 3.6 was released that vB was heading in the wrong direction for me. People would gripe about using vBSEO, because it created so much more server load. I found the upgrade to vB 3.7 caused more server load than vBSEO had.

vB's search function was a mess. But it never was addressed by the coders. vB customers were clamoring for a CMS script, but it was never addressed until vB 4. vB customers wanted a Gallery and it was never addressed. vB customers wanted blogs and it took a couple years to see that happen and even then a third-party blog script was head and shoulders above the vB blogs.

Now mind whilst all this was going on, Kier, Mike, Scott, et al were still working with vB. I'm sitting back and wondering why IPB customers had things like blogs and galleries, when we had to rely on third-party coders to enjoy those functions. I was pointing out IPS seemed to have a much better handle on what their customers wanted, some two-plus years before I finally converted.

And then, out of nowhere - the vB devs were suddenly away. And everyone began talking about how vB was doomed. My thoughts were that perhaps bringing in some new blood might get vB squared up and flying straight again. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Now, Kier and Mike have released XenForo. I was immediately wary, because I really didn't care for the direction they had been taking vB before their departure. The second thing I noticed about XenForo was everyone's first impressions were right. It looked and felt a lot like vB 4, with the rough edges polished. If I was starting with a clean slate, why would I want to make my new product look and feel like a product that has been taking a bad rap for months? Which immediately brought me back to my initial concern, wondering if XenForo was going to be the same-old, same-old. I found Kier and Mike's work disappointing before, so why should I expect anything different now?

I wish Kier and Mike the very best and I hope they do well. At the same time, I applaud the coders here at invision, for their forward-thinking, for their willingness to take customer suggestions on board, for their almost-magical abilities to develop multiple, innovative and very solid projects simultaneously. As Matt has pointed out, in a most gentlemanly statement, competition is good because it tends to bring out the best in the competitors. Wow, if we've not been seeing IPS' best, we're in for one heckuva ride in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks to everyone at Invision Power Services for everything you have done to make IPB the Gold Standard of forum software. If I can keep Charles from tossing me out, I plan to be here for a long time to come.

I used vB for nearly 5 years before converting to IPB last fall. I started with vB back in the 3.0.5 days. As vB went through the maturation process, I found myself being disappointed more and more. Glaring issues were going ignored, whilst new features were being added. And some of those new features were nothing more than bloat. It was clear back when vB 3.6 was released that vB was heading in the wrong direction for me. People would gripe about using vBSEO, because it created so much more server load. I found the upgrade to vB 3.7 caused more server load than vBSEO had.

vB's search function was a mess. But it never was addressed by the coders. vB customers were clamoring for a CMS script, but it was never addressed until vB 4. vB customers wanted a Gallery and it was never addressed. vB customers wanted blogs and it took a couple years to see that happen and even then a third-party blog script was head and shoulders above the vB blogs.

Now mind whilst all this was going on, Kier, Mike, Scott, et al were still working with vB. I'm sitting back and wondering why IPB customers had things like blogs and galleries, when we had to rely on third-party coders to enjoy those functions. I was pointing out IPS seemed to have a much better handle on what their customers wanted, some two-plus years before I finally converted.

And then, out of nowhere - the vB devs were suddenly away. And everyone began talking about how vB was doomed. My thoughts were that perhaps bringing in some new blood might get vB squared up and flying straight again. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Now, Kier and Mike have released XenForo. I was immediately wary, because I really didn't care for the direction they had been taking vB before their departure. The second thing I noticed about XenForo was everyone's first impressions were right. It looked and felt a lot like vB 4, with the rough edges polished. If I was starting with a clean slate, why would I want to make my new product look and feel like a product that has been taking a bad rap for months? Which immediately brought me back to my initial concern, wondering if XenForo was going to be the same-old, same-old. I found Kier and Mike's work disappointing before, so why should I expect anything different now?

I wish Kier and Mike the very best and I hope they do well. At the same time, I applaud the coders here at invision, for their forward-thinking, for their willingness to take customer suggestions on board, for their almost-magical abilities to develop multiple, innovative and very solid projects simultaneously. As Matt has pointed out, in a most gentlemanly statement, competition is good because it tends to bring out the best in the competitors. Wow, if we've not been seeing IPS' best, we're in for one heckuva ride in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks to everyone at Invision Power Services for everything you have done to make IPB the Gold Standard of forum software. If I can keep Charles from tossing me out, I plan to be here for a long time to come.

While I agree with most of what you said, I think companies don't adapt such a shallow marketing strategy of investing development time at whatever the customers want. It doesn't work like that. For example, we've been asking IPS for social groups for ages but yet we haven't seen any sign of that being developed or planned to.

There are many factors for companies to think about before deciding to invest time and effort into things that they might regret later on and these factors are not just: Enkidu and some 10 other clients want this feature. Therefore, we should satisfy them. It doesn't work like that.

A bit ballsy of them. Going to be a bit hard for it to break into the market, even (sadly) against vB. They might be able to pull it off if they market and price it right at first, but they do have their work cut out for them.

Right now I don't see anything it offers that other packages don't. Everyone keeps mentioning how clean it is, but that's just a skin that can done for any other forum package. The multi page navigation thing is neat, but personally I prefer just clicking the drop down and entering the page number on IPB. Less work. Still, they have accomplished much in the short time.

Yea, I like people with guts to do what they've done. However I don't believe it will take long for them to become #1 or very close to being #1.
These developers were vBulletin. I am guessing Invision may need to begin a new sale soon or perhaps drop their prices.
All depending on what the price point of Xen is going to be focused at.
I predict within 48 hours of its official selling, that it will sell a minimum of 1,000 licenses. The majority of which will be Ex-vBulletin users.
I will be one of those.

I really see nothing new. It seems mostly just different design elements (like users icon next to topic), that you usually don't see in a default forum layout / skin.
One thing I like that isn't part of IPB is the Torphies system, but I believe there is a mod for that somewhere.

All Invision need to do is keep doing what they are doing now.

3DKiwi

All ANY forum developer has to do is to deliver what customers want and this means to LISTEN to us.

Sure the developers can show us what they like and what can be done but they need to take our suggestions into account.

The developer that does this the best at a fair price WINS.

At this point, no question about it ... IPB is KING. :rolleyes:
  • Management

As I've said elsewhere, competition is great for the industry as it pushes development along.

We took time out a few years ago to rewrite IP.Board from scratch using PHP 5 OOP methods in an "applications" top down framework. This has enabled us to build and deploy new functionality and even new apps quickly and efficiently.

We have had a good 18 months to mature this framework and the existing functionality so we're in a good position to move forwards. We have already written up our rough goals for IP.Board 3.2.0 and beyond and we're excited in the direction we're taking the software.

We have some great features and products on the horizon and we can't wait to bring you news of them. Trust me, we're not standing still and we'll continue to innovate and push the boundaries. After all, IP.Board 3 has already brought you integrated Sphinx searching, quick member pop-up boxes, Gravatar support, streamlined UI making use of javascript to reduce clutter, Facebook log in / status / link sharing ability, Twitter log in / status and link sharing ability, reputation system and much more.

We're always listening to your feedback and it always tailors our future plans. :)

As I've said elsewhere, competition is great for the industry as it pushes development along.

We took time out a few years ago to rewrite IP.Board from scratch using PHP 5 OOP methods in an "applications" top down framework. This has enabled us to build and deploy new functionality and even new apps quickly and efficiently.

We have had a good 18 months to mature this framework and the existing functionality so we're in a good position to move forwards. We have already written up our rough goals for IP.Board 3.2.0 and beyond and we're excited in the direction we're taking the software.

We have some great features and products on the horizon and we can't wait to bring you news of them. Trust me, we're not standing still and we'll continue to innovate and push the boundaries. After all, IP.Board 3 has already brought you integrated Sphinx searching, quick member pop-up boxes, Gravatar support, streamlined UI making use of javascript to reduce clutter, Facebook log in / status / link sharing ability, Twitter log in / status and link sharing ability, reputation system and much more.

We're always listening to your feedback and it always tailors our future plans. :)

Can't wait to hear those things :), also lol you said to move forwards.

Coming from vb3 that i use on my big board www.dieselbombers.com to my new site www.truckpullers.com. i have to say that in less than an hour i have went completely threw the modifications for my software, where as in 3 years ive yet to even scratch the surface of the vb mods. some of the mods on ipb that are charged for is ridiculous.

i switched because i also built and maintain a vb4 board.

ipb is lacking in very transparent areas. just need to get some support to get the board tweaked like it should be , or rely on ipb to assist me in doing it my self.

i dont know how often software updates come out for ipb but i already have a list of things that are default on vb3 that i assumed would be on ipb and its not.

1 big thing is the topic preview hover ...as i read the site i see ipb staff saying how much better it is the way you have it and all the members saying they want a topic hover preview .... so maybe you should start a poll , the members know whats best for them :)

• Management

I would welcome your feedback if you were inclined to start your own topic.

Regarding topic preview, etc. We have some plans to further clean up the UI in 3.2.0. Rikki is already formulating some ideas in that area. As always, it's about maturing and polishing the features.

navigating this site is as difficult as navigating the admin cp , i dont even know whats works with my software and what dont , i resorted to completely relying on the search feature and bumping topics over a year old from people with the same exact bug/issue/question that i have with no reply.

Its growing pains on my end , at this point im only 85% sure i made the right choice going with ipb where as a few days ago it was 100% , i hope the trend turns around here. i know you all work hard to provide good support and ect.. bare with me :)

streamlined UI making use of javascript to reduce clutter,

But you used prototype to do it so its still clutter :P.

use jQuery :P. The jQuery UI is amazing and moving forward very quickly. Thats reason enough.

Regarding topic preview, etc. We have some plans to further clean up the UI in 3.2.0. Rikki is already formulating some ideas in that area. As always, it's about maturing and polishing the features.

Since that IMO the style is the Achilles' heel of IPB, it would be great if these ideas are shared with us. I would be happy to help =)

thanks Matt. We all love IPB (otherwise, we wouldn't be here) and for me I get jealous when I see other forum software with features that I wish they exist in IPB.

for example, XF is very smooth and graceful when browsing, whereas IPB is a little bit slow :(