Community

majdi

Kier's new forum script: Xenforo

I like it.

Its just too much Javascript for me, and it is really... sharp javascript.

The Login Box is too fast and sharp, not a smooth slide or something. And the topic descriptions would anny me :|

But it looks promising.

They're thinking of having similar add ons like IPB, but not till they've done what they want with the forums. A lot of wording and features greatly remind me of Facebook and IPB.

There has to be a modification community that can expand the software and allow integration with other software. Same with theme/layout creators.

Support has to do more than link you to documentation or staff who troll and/or insult its own customers. Much more involved support like Invision Power Board's amazing support.

Should be able to handle large traffic and with little resources.

Customization. As in the ability to turn nearly everything off to keep the forum simple.

Security.

So far all of that is either unknown or not done yet. I sincerely hope this lights a fire under IPB's development staff.

IPB started out when Matt left Ikonboard and people followed him. Ikon was a mess, having just been bought out by a company, and died after.
XenForo is starting because Kier left vB. vB 4 is a mess, having just been bought out by a company, and is slowly dying.

I see them following that path.

IPB started out when Matt left Ikonboard and people followed him. Ikon was a mess, having just been bought out by a company, and died after.

XenForo is starting because Kier left vB. vB 4 is a mess, having just been bought out by a company, and is slowly dying.

I see them following that path.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the vB platform. The vB market is extremely strong and is probably one of the main reasons the company is still going. Yes, we've had LOTS of conversons from vB to IPB but it doesn't give us the right to just assume vB is dead or dying.

I am one those "diehard Kier fans" and a personal friend for a long time. I am also a "diehard Matt Mecham fan" and still think IPB3 is the gold standard for community software. I can't see this as anything but good for all concerned. When there is innovation and competition, we all benefit! :)

It's actually pretty nice, but let's be honest. If it wasn't associated with Kier, it wouldn't have a fraction of the buzz. If any.

People are so disgusted with vB right now, this is a very welcome ray of hope. And it will most likely evolve into a major player, due to the talents of the developers. I can easily see them attracting a very talented crew, probably exiled from vB. It will take a bit of time to do it right though.

I don't see much future for the current vB. I would think that IPB will get it's fair share of vB refugees, but there are a lot of loyalists who find that to be a hard pill to swallow. Shame really, but this gives people a reasonable alternative, even if it means holding out for a more fleshed out product. People who are able to look past brand loyalty are discovering IPB is a a great product.

250 registered members in 2 days, i think they have a huge chance of breaking the market, especially with the state of vBulletin4

Closer to 400 members in 1 day, if it makes a difference :thumbsup:

It's been precisely 26 hours since the board was opened. Stats for that period:

Discussions: 356 Messages: 3,852 Members: 396

Wish I had that kind of activity ;)

It's been precisely 26 hours since the board was opened. Stats for that period:

Discussions: 356 Messages: 3,852 Members: 396

Wish I had that kind of activity ;)

From looking at things I have a feeling vB will not survive it. Just guessing of course.

I think the combination of IPB and zenForo will in time tear them apart.

I would not be surprised that if in a year or two there will be two dominant paid forum software companies being IPB and zenForo

Those of you that might think it is just another piece of software might want to dig a bit deeper, if you have the inclination.

I could give my detailed opinion, but this is the IPS company forum, and you really should make up your own minds.

And not just any members ...

some own some pretty big forums and are already indicating they are seriously considering dumping VB for XF. :rolleyes:

I am one those "diehard Kier fans" and a personal friend for a long time. I am also a "diehard Matt Mecham fan" and still think IPB3 is the gold standard for community software. I can't see this as anything but good for all concerned. When there is innovation and competition, we all benefit! :)

We all benefit when forums are taken to another level ... IPB is still leader so far though. :rolleyes:

Im kinda glad Kier has done this. I'm much more friendly with Xen, than Vb. Seems like they have cool features too. Its nice that there can be some friendly competition. Maybe they won't be like vBulletin people who are "IPB suks b/c it dsn't say unicrns are purty!"

The unicorns thing comes up a lot in my iTicket thing if you're wondering... :\

Those of you that might think it is just another piece of software might want to dig a bit deeper, if you have the inclination.

I could give my detailed opinion, but this is the IPS company forum, and you really should make up your own minds.

Even if you don't feel like giving an opinion on the features, could you perhaps point out some of the, er, magical and revolutionary features? I have not actually registered on the test forums, but thread and forum layout and features seem pretty similar to "ordinary" forum software, though they are rather pretty.

Even if you don't feel like giving an opinion on the features, could you perhaps point out some of the, er, magical and revolutionary features? I have not actually registered on the test forums, but thread and forum layout and features seem pretty similar to "ordinary" forum software, though they are rather pretty.

None of the features are magical, but the New Posts (topics) and Watched Threads (topics) are both in the bread crumb on every page, unlike ipb. I realize that can be changed with a skin, but the more uniformity across sites in our niche the better. Thread marking system is nice too, and that would be a *huge* plus for us.

Although I've not tested it, I believe PMs read can be read on one computer (eg home computer), then the forum remembers that PM has been read when logging in on another computer (eg work computer), because that information is database recorded and not cookie recorded. I am not sure that is the way it works in ipb.

From a ui perspective, for people used to vb, it will be a much easier transition. There are other things that make it appealing as well.

Although I've not tested it, I believe PMs read can be read on one computer (eg home computer), then the forum remembers that PM has been read when logging in on another computer (eg work computer), because that information is database recorded and not cookie recorded. I am not sure that is the way it works in ipb.

Huh? Once a PM is read, it remains read. The information is stored was never stored on a cookie. It's been like this since 1.x.

None of the features are magical, but the New Posts (topics) and Watched Threads (topics) are both in the bread crumb on every page, unlike ipb. I realize that can be changed with a skin, but the more uniformity across sites in our niche the better. Thread marking system is nice too, and that would be a *huge* plus for us.

From a ui perspective, for people used to vb, it will be a much easier transition. There are other things that make it appealing as well.

What's different about the thread marking system vs going to My Settings in IPB and selecting "Show me all content that I have not read" for View New Content Method?

I've just checked and IPB definitely stores read/unread markings for PMs in the database. I can also verify this because the database incorrectly marked several hundred of my PMs as unread when I converted to IPB...

The UI is definitely rather nice, though. Very lightweight. Other software makers would do well to learn and eliminate cruft from their styles. I'm going to be doing some postbit tweaking on my site...

Am I the only one that doesn't like the style? Because of the font they used, every post makes me feel like I'm reading a blog entry. >.>

Nope I don't like it much either. It may load fast, but it has little customization appeal being so simple.

What I posted else where is. I think many people are jumping on the bandwagon too soon. And I won't call this a great piece of forum software yet. They have to earn that reputation.

I think its competitors (VB, IPB, UBB) should take them seriously as they should with any completion. But I think forum owners need to let some of the hype wear off and then look again.

Nope I don't like it much either. It may load fast, but it has little customization appeal being so simple.

What I posted else where is. I think many people are jumping on the bandwagon too soon. And I won't call this a great piece of forum software yet. They have to earn that reputation.

I think its competitors (VB, IPB, UBB) should take them seriously as they should with any completion. But I think forum owners need to let some of the hype wear off and then look again.

I actually am really liking what I see. It is my opinion as features are being added to forums they are starting to take too many clicks to do some things and are a bit cluttered. In some forums people are there for the content and making it more intuitive I think is a big plus.

I am liking what I see over here at IPS as well however. I think it might have a large amount of customization appeal by being so simple. Room to add things that you might really want with out it getting out of hand.

Nexus has me still looking at IPB. I don't know if it is warranted but I am actually getting a little concerned that nexus might not be enough of what I am looking for but I don't know yet.

it would be interesting to see where this goes. For me when using any 3rd party software i need to make sure it has a good code base in a extensible framework. IPB provides this for me while making use of all the goodness in php5 especially OOP. Now even before Kier left vb they were seriously lacking on this so it'll be interesting to see if Kier has embraced it now.

I actually am really liking what I see. It is my opinion as features are being added to forums they are starting to take too many clicks to do some things and are a bit cluttered. In some forums people are there for the content and making it more intuitive I think is a big plus.

I am liking what I see over here at IPS as well however. I think it might have a large amount of customization appeal by being so simple. Room to add things that you might really want with out it getting out of hand.

Nexus has me still looking at IPB. I don't know if it is warranted but I am actually getting a little concerned that nexus might not be enough of what I am looking for but I don't know yet.

Personally I've never seen someone so indecisive in terms of what/how to run what you need for your forum etc I've seen you post at VB that it ran down your user numbers you don't know what software to use going forward etc this must transfer to your users who must be starting to trust your judgement about what is the best way going forward for the site you own. :)

I honestly stuck with IPB since it opened. I'll be honest and say that I used a nulled board about a few years ago when I was younger. If it wasn't for that nulled IPB I randomly came across, I wouldn't have stuck with IPB by using the free IPB forums elsewhere and now purchasing it legally and never turning back. What I'm trying to say is that I would have been a VB client and probably switched over to this instead of falling in love with IPB at first use.

They definately have heat potential and room to expand, but he will need a full dedicated team and great mods/addons by the community if they want to gain the respect IPB and VB has today. I loathe VB due to so many pointless hatings on IPB and arguements I get into the moment I recommend IPB on a VB forum...

I may not be close with the IPS staff here, but I have never thought of switching and don't ever plan to. IPB for the win even though it may be costly at first.