Community

majdi

Kier's new forum script: Xenforo

To be honest, I like it a lot. It's a forum and nothing else, but it's very well done and the interface is quite nice. I expect it'll also be extremely fast once it's optimized. It probably won't be suitable for most communities (including mine) due to a lack of features, but I'll be interested to see how this plays out in the long term.

Since it's done by Kier, I expect it'll also do a lot in terms of keeping forums moving forward in terms of innovation. ;)

I don't think its very basic at all considering how young it is. In fact, I think they did an awesome job so far.

Good UI doesn't need 500 links buttons, graphics, etc... IMO It is always harder to make UI simple and clean (and easy). I would think it will still take a couple years to mature, but that may even be over stated with how much they appear to have accomplished so far.

Have to say I quite like it as well. The quoting is very slick with how you can click on the arrow to go to the original post. I also like the page scrolling on multiple page topics to find the page you want as demonstrated in a video.

3DKiwi

seems a bit late in the game.

I agree, why did they choose forum software when there are 2 big players and many others free ones.

I wish them luck anyway and will watch what happens but I will not be buying.

I agree, why did they choose forum software when there are 2 big players and many others free ones.

I wish them luck anyway and will watch what happens but I will not be buying.

Because they know they're going to steal a huge huge percentage of vBulletin's userbase practically overnight.

I like it. It's extremely quick.

I think the layout is great, but some areas of the design seem a bit rushed or poorly done. For example, the maintitle bar. Also, the navigation active tab looks a bit odd being identical to the "Whats New?" bar below.

As others have said though, in time it will mature and I'm sure all these little things will be addressed.

A bit ballsy of them. Going to be a bit hard for it to break into the market, even (sadly) against vB. They might be able to pull it off if they market and price it right at first, but they do have their work cut out for them.

Right now I don't see anything it offers that other packages don't. Everyone keeps mentioning how clean it is, but that's just a skin that can done for any other forum package. The multi page navigation thing is neat, but personally I prefer just clicking the drop down and entering the page number on IPB. Less work. Still, they have accomplished much in the short time.

Edited by Brandon D

It's not basic at all. Have you guys tries clicking on the arrow in a quotation? try it and see the nice JS effect :thumbsup:

Kinda reminds me of the snapback feature. Maybe more than a little. ;)

It's not basic at all. Have you guys tries clicking on the arrow in a quotation? try it and see the nice JS effect :thumbsup:

It is nice but not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

I agree though it is not basic at all.

The HOME element on the breadcrumb bar is extremely annoying though.

Yes that is annoying.

I find the box that appears (showing the forum desc) when you hover on the forum links annoying.

The HOME element on the breadcrumb bar is extremely annoying though.

Why? - makes a lot of sense

Also love the RSS for each forum - much prefer that to the way that IPB does it.

Actually clicking around it looks very professional and well thought out.

Why does it make sense? It takes you to the Homepage of the website. Not the home of the forum.

Click on the members tab, then try to move back to the forums without using the link on the header of the forum (only using the breadcrumb bar) and tell me if you think it's still intuitive.

Why does it make sense? It takes you to the Homepage of the website. Not the home of the forum.

Click on the members tab, then try to move back to the forums without using the link on the header of the forum (only using the breadcrumb bar) and tell me if you think it's still intuitive.

Okay - whilst I still disagree ;) , I can see your point. It needs to have a forums navigation before members, account, help etc. The home is fine, but only annoying because of the missing forums link.

It is intuitive. It's showing you your pathway to where you are on the site.

Would work brilliantly on my site where I prefer to have my breadcrumbs as Site Name > Current Section > Sub-Section. There is absolutely nowhere in my breadcrumbs where you can get to the forum index if you're on my gallery. You use the main navigation for that.

Says to me that they are planning other applications for XenForo, and not just a forum script.

It is intuitive. It's showing you your pathway to where you are on the site.

Would work brilliantly on my site where I prefer to have my breadcrumbs as Site Name > Current Section > Sub-Section. There is absolutely nowhere in my breadcrumbs where you can get to the forum index if you're on my gallery. You use the main navigation for that.

Says to me that they are planning other applications for XenForo, and not just a forum script.

Last time I checked the members section is a subsection of any forum - however the breadcrumb does not reflect this on that forum software.

They have a home button above for use if you want to go to the main homepage.