Friends only accepted as default

mick2me

Currently the board has automatic acceptance of friend requests.
By default this should be set that members approve all friend requests,
and can choose to automatically approve friendships if they wish.

I have some banned members who added me as a friend before they got themselves banned.
This is a security issue and current default setting should be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Surely this should be set as a default in the board design,
to prevent every member of every forum in having to do it.

Currently quite nasty trolls are exploiting this and other IPB loopholes
to post foul information and abuse on our board.

Surely this should be set as a default in the board design,

to prevent every member of every forum in having to do it.

Currently quite nasty trolls are exploiting this and other IPB loopholes

to post foul information and abuse on our board.

What "other IPB" loop holes, this isn't actually a security flaw it's a design principal to promote open communities.

If your that opposed to it, write a mysql query to change it

+1

I was just looking at this tonight. I have one member who "friends" EVERYONE that joins the site, and then claims that she has so many friends and profile views. People are wondering why some others are on her "friend" list, or even why THEY are on her friend list.

Thus, I too believe that the default setting should be that members approve all friend requests. If they want to change their profile to open, that's fine. I don't see it so much as a security risk as I do a way to cut down some controversy.

Is there a way to do this, or is it really some kind of database change?? :ermm:

BTW, I found this, but when I run it, it returns "Table 'mydbname_ipboard.ibf_profile_portal' doesn't exist"

(mydbname = my database name)

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/317998-how-to-disabled-friends-approval-by-default/page__p__1999493__hl__profile+default+friends__fromsearch__1#entry1999493

Guest CallieJo

Is there not a setting in the admin cp to default set this for all new users? Otherwise, for us noncoders...does anyone have the proper command to run? Or is there a mod to do it? Anything?

I had no idea this was setup this way. It's actually a concern for our business community. I'd rather this not be set like this on default, please.

Is there not a setting in the admin cp to default set this for all new users? Otherwise, for us noncoders...does anyone have the proper command to run? Or is there a mod to do it? Anything?

I had no idea this was setup this way. It's actually a concern for our business community. I'd rather this not be set like this on default, please.

The sql script was easy to run and solved the issue for me. It changed the default setting to "approve", but it did NOT hide the friends in the profiles.

• 2 years later...

Where can we disable automatic friend request approval in IP.Board? And where can someone accept/reject such friend requests?

It's found in the member settings. When you are visiting a member on your board, choose to edit the profile, you'll see the setting there.

It's found in the member settings. When you are visiting a member on your board, choose to edit the profile, you'll see the setting there.

Isn't there any universal way of disabling it for all members in one go?

Secondly, if I set it to "Enabled - Manually approve friend requests", then where can I view such friend requests and approve them?

Archived