Community

bleach800

IPBFREE? SHUTDOWN?

If you haven't notice somehow you can;t go on "www.ipbfree.com" a site that let you make sites apparently I don't know if it shutdown or not but all site that are created by ipbfree you can't go on time it will say something like " internet explorer cannot diplay webpage something like that" at first i thought it was my computer but now you can;t even go on your site or the site that runs it

I'm curious to know what going on hope I can get a few answers

I am having the same problem!!! I was able to earlier, but all the sudden, I was not?!
It would be nice if they could notify us when closing down for any reason!!!

Tweet from one of the owners of IPBFree.com -

iPBFree is gone forever and it's not possible to retrieve anything. We're exceptionally sorry, it wasn't planned.

Also, a quote from: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100713203527AANyB0n

The following was emailed to me when contacting a member of the ipbfree staff.

I apologize, but I am legally bound to keep secret why everything is missing. Just know that there is a reason and we at iPBFree no longer have control of the situation. I'm sorry for the damage this has caused.

According to the twitter or another staff member they are not updating and there is no intent on them coming back.

Here are the twitters:

http://twitter.com/tomlough

http://twitter.com/catfriedrice

Sorry I lost a lot as well!

*UPDATE* After more research I have found that they had too many DMCA Violations. Mainly because of people hosting forums with illegal content. They have been shut down because they have done nothing to stop these forums or control/regulate them. After many warnings about the DMCA violations they still did nothing.

This came from an anonymous source.

Also for anyone looking at the thread, IPBFree.com isn't owned / run by Invision Power Services, it's a completely separate site. Thought I'd mention it as it's a common misunderstanding :)

I knew they where gonna go down sooner or later...It took like 2 years for their iPBFree Phalanx project to be made, yet I bet it never even got half done.

Didn't they become Zeta Boards a long time ago?

Nope, that's InvisionFree and they're still providing both IPB and Zeta Boards.

For what its worth, IPBfree was actually a great 1.3 host. And the last one left, too, since invisionfree moved to zetaboard and forumer closed signups.

Actually IPBFree hosted 2.x forums. InvisionFree still hosts 1.3 forums with their focus on zetaboards. ;)

If it did, IF would have used it. 2.0 closed that with the "one board per copy of files" i believe.

Regardless of that it was running 2.x programs. I know, I almost used that for an extra forum that I was using. It was most certainly 2.x programming. For all I know they could have been running it illegally. I even remember in their Admin panel they were talking about upgrade to 3.x so don't ask me. Just telling you what it was.

Regardless of that it was running 2.x programs. I know, I almost used that for an extra forum that I was using. It was most certainly 2.x programming. For all I know they could have been running it illegally. I even remember in their Admin panel they were talking about upgrade to 3.x so don't ask me. Just telling you what it was.

" Powered by IP.Board 1.3 "
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OueP9nsk2dsJ:chinagsm.ipbfree.com/+CHINAGSM.IBPFREE.COM&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It's webcoding was not 1.3 no matter what the footer says but I'll concede defeat on that.

It was 1.3. It was modded to the 9th circle of hell and back, but it was still 1.3. All the updates they did made it "IPBFree 2.0" but the base software itself was IP.Board 1.3.

Whatever you thought of the host, there's some pretty devastated people out there. I know a lot of people who had boards running on IPBFree that were extremely popular, precious and had been running for quite some time. People have lost years of work, it's pretty sad.

IPS is actually offering assistance (was talking with Charles today) -- a $15 coupon for IPS services to affected administrators. Good chance to get them on the IPB 3.1 bandwagon, methinks. Details about the coupon are to come out in a couple of days, but as far as I know -- it's happening.

Despite me not giving bothered about such hosts alot of good has come from it.

1: Educating people on a large scale in that "nothing in life is free" and that they should take control and responsibility of their own data that they value
2: hundreds of crappy out dated forums have been wiped from the bottom of the internets shoe
3: sales for IPS will increase, meaning more quality forums on tee interweb
4: Due to the education benifts mentioned above, more kids will pay for hosting; resulting in a drop in candy purchases and the number of obese children.
5: Less skins will be "ripped" and modifications... modified...
6: Reduction in the amount of requests for "can i haz dis for free ipb 1.3 plz"
7: Reduction in the amount of pictures and videos containing women and horses
8: All current IP.Board license holders can be happy knowing that they did the right thing in purchasing their license
9: I got to make this list, it's not very often i get to make a numbered list
10: coudlnt think of anything else and wanted to make it even.

Seriously though, it's horrible that the owners didnt give users any notice, or do anything about these alledged DMCA complaints, then again takedowns dont usually have a notice, besides the many DMCA notices you would get before a forced takedown, to which they did nothing.. so i guess they didnt really care. I can't see any reason why they couldnt explain either, more liek they are to ashamed to say "hey, we got warned, we couldnt be bothered doing anything about it, and you guys lost everything"

I had two boards on IPBFree that I was using for storage. I was actually converting all of the skin themes that I had offered free to IPBfree members and was still in the process of using them. I think I lost over 25,000 posts and more than 600 members were on that board. It was officially offline when I moved to IPB but I had many problems with being hacked into, security was pretty lax I think more because of the software than the owner so I moved. Just so everyone knows there is no way of getting the data on your forum like here unless the owner gives it to you and as far as I know he did not. There were some very large forums on there and I am sure it was upsetting. One of my complaints always was the lack of responsibility on the owners part but I can't say if that corrected after I left IPBfree, it might have improved. This may also just like me get those owners to now move to IPB and start over as I did. Boy am I glad I jumped the ship when I did.