PM Archiving in Bulk? No a feature; How to?

Fast Lane!

What I'm doing (for now) is holding down the CTRL key and then going down the list and clicking each conversation. Then I go into each new tab, click the archive button and close that tab. A nice solution for the time being. :)

I'd like to add to the suggestion. For the list of participants, include links to their profiles. Simply including their names isn't sufficient because they could change their display name. So their name as a link (at least at the top) would be helpful, because then if you can't remember who the person is, you can always click and see their profile and even their new name.

The problem, as I understand it, is potential resource usage. If you select 2 or 3 conversations that have 200 messages each, you could potentially start having resource issues on your forums. This was easier to handle when every PM was one message, but they are no longer PMs, rather they are now private conversations, which changes things.

The problem, as I understand it, is potential resource usage. If you select 2 or 3 conversations that have 200 messages each, you could potentially start having resource issues on your forums. This was easier to handle when every PM was one message, but they are no longer PMs, rather they are now private conversations, which changes things.

Would it be possible to treat it like the IPB post resync, and just do 1 message at a time every minute? Tell the user "Your archive is processing" or something, and email it when done?

Would it be possible to treat it like the IPB post resync, and just do 1 message at a time every minute? Tell the user "Your archive is processing" or something, and email it when done?

Perhaps have some sort of a status page or something that lets the member know that it's processing and then optionally receive a notification when it's complete (if it isn't able to do it immediately).

Maybe up to X posts per cycle, so if it's 50 conversations but the total is only 100 messages (for example), then it could get them all at once. But if a conversation pushes it over the 100 mark, that conversation waits until the next cycle. :)

Honestly it seems like an easy mysql query (you do it every time you display a conversation)... you then can have a screen that updates (as people said) every few posts as things are archived.

The root issue is that people get full mail boxes and do not want to delete anything permanently (when was the last time you deleted an email in gmail?). This bulk option gives you the opportunity to email and keep all your PM's for the record while freeing up your inbox.

Honestly it seems like an easy mysql query (you do it every time you display a conversation)... you then can have a screen that updates (as people said) every few posts as things are archived.

The root issue is that people get full mail boxes and do not want to delete anything permanently (when was the last time you deleted an email in gmail?). This bulk option gives you the opportunity to email and keep all your PM's for the record while freeing up your inbox.

Gmail doesn't base on the number of emails but rather the size you are consuming, so this suggestion wouldn't change anything with regards to your inbox usage.

That said, what you guys are asking for goes wayyyy beyond a simple two line change, or a new checkbox on the page. The sort of archiving you're talking about is pretty involved, and not likely something to be added to a minor point release for sure.

That said, what you guys are asking for goes wayyyy beyond a simple two line change, or a new checkbox on the page. The sort of archiving you're talking about is pretty involved, and not likely something to be added to a minor point release for sure.

Translation: Someone make a mod.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe this isn't a problem for more people.
I'm not a fan of this "conversation" style of PM messages anyway.

How am I supposed to archive when I have 965 messages I need to archive?

While overall I find these forums to be the best I've used, this conversation style and lack of archiving ability was a very bad idea.

This used to be a feature back in the previous versions I think (I know I have some PM archives from 2006ish that are in Excel-friendly format (contains all the HTML formatting and entities though)... or did I have an addon installed? I seem to recall it was a board feature.

This used to be a feature back in the previous versions I think (I know I have some PM archives from 2006ish that are in Excel-friendly format (contains all the HTML formatting and entities though)... or did I have an addon installed? I seem to recall it was a board feature.

It was a board feature. We could do 50 at a time. I still have mine back at least since 2006. I use them still too.

It took me approximately 3 hours to archive 150 "conversations" the other night. I just don't understand why this was not considered an important feature they were tossing out with the new conversation setup.

• 8 months later...

Ok, so bulk archiving got left out of this update too.
This is still just as much of a problem as it was when this topic started.
Again, I'd rather go back to simple private messages without the "conversation" and have bulk archiving.
Any way to make that an option?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I second that. Why not make a simple option to archive the conversations as a normal TXT file? If vBulletin can have this option, I don't understand why IP.Board can't.

LOL. I think I made this point a year ago. This extremely obvious suggestion has probably been kicking around on IPB's forums since 2004.

Archived