Search text enclosed in quotes won't allow words shorter than 3 characters

karll

On the advanced search page there is an example for how to search for a string by enclosing it in quotes. The example is: "enclosing it in quotes". However, this won't work as it gives the following response:

One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

I reported this as a bug, but was told it was working as intended: http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-24011-search-text-enclosed-in-quotes-wont-allow-words-shorter-than-3-characters/

So I think this is silly :) and needs to be changed. A user might want to search for a specific phrase that contains words of length < 3, although the phrase itself would be longer. (In either case, the example on the advanced search page is wrong as it doesn't work ...)

• 1 month later...

I agree wholeheartedly. This has been an extreme nuisance to me as a Forum Administrator and to the Members of our site. Also, there are MANY abbreviations in business (especially our industry of theme parks) which are only two letters. I tried to fix this by using a string when I know the word before or after the abbreviation in the specific post I am looking for,only to end up with the same error. It's very annoying as it should be searching for the entire string, and not the elements of the string if it's in quotation marks, as the quotes should set it off as a single unit (at least, that's what the user expects). AT LEAST give some sort of instructions to the user so that they know how to use it "properly" if it's not going to work the way that the average Joe expects it to. If you say that it is going to search for the string, it should search for the string.

-Daniel Westfall, Vice President of COASTER-net.com

Archived