RTL incompatibilities are getting really annoying

Enkidu

We do not go out of our way to support IE6. If there is a serious flaw that prevents actually using the board (i.e. if you could not read any posts) then we would look into it. If a box is 10 pixels too tall, we're not going to do anything about that.

Virtually every big site on the internet (google, youtube, flickr, etc.) have already declared they will not be supporting IE6 moving forward. I'm afraid sometimes you just need to update and move on. I'd hardly think you could complain if a new video game comes out and doesn't support Windows 98. It's the same thing here.

the game example is exactly what I keep telling my users :lol: but I go like this: IPB is a feature-rich forum software that was designed in 2009, could you play a game that was designed in 2009 under a system designed in 1998?

Anyways, the topic is about IE7.

the game example is exactly what I keep telling my users :lol: but I go like this: IPB is a feature-rich forum software that was designed in 2009, could you play a game that was designed in 2009 under a system designed in 1998?

Anyways, the topic is about IE7.

Okay and when was IE8 released? March of 2009, before IPB3 was released. In the computer industry, when IPB3 was released, IE7 would be considered prehistoric. :)

Being serious, there is only so much that can be done before it goes from trying to be as widely compatible as possible, to becoming ridiculously maintained. This is from a customers perspective, mind you. For your members who don't want to migrate from one version of Internet Exploder to another, just get them to upgrade to FF. Either that or get them to use the lofi/mobile skin or ask someone to design a light weight skin with IE6/7 in mind.

At present time we are indeed fixing IE7 bugs. There's a limit to what we can do (for instance, we're not going to go out of our way to implement rounded corners in IE using stacked images because it's a lot more code and it's a limitation in IE - every other browser supports the CSS properties to handle this), but any big bugs that prevent you from being able to use the software in IE7, yes we will fix.

Smaller styling issues get confirmed, but may have a lower priority.

what's wrong with that?

Oh I get it. I need to put a nagging pop up message whoever is browsing my board through IE7/6 that this on-of-a-kind board is not compatible with his/her lame browser, so:

1- He/She can either spend the next 60 minutes downloading a cool browser (of my choice of coarse), importing all of his/her bookmarks, passwords,...etc and then get back to view the secrete information contained within this website and collect a bonus prize of $100 cash for anyone who would upgrade.

2- or ###### off.

yeah that would solve it

Since when does it take 60 minutes to install a browser and import bookmarks (where you got Contacts from? This isn't about mail clients...)

Being Microsoft is not even really supporting IE6, it's unreasonable to expect any other company to do so either.. If you can Run IE6 you can run Firefox2 or Opera which would take even on dial up 15-20 minutes to get up and running..

Your sarcastic point is nulled

Since when does it take 60 minutes to install a browser and import bookmarks (where you got Contacts from? This isn't about mail clients...)

Being Microsoft is not even really supporting IE6, it's unreasonable to expect any other company to do so either.. If you can Run IE6 you can run Firefox2 or Opera which would take even on dial up 15-20 minutes to get up and running..

Your sarcastic point is nulled

you see, I have this friend who doesn't know how to write an essay about any subject but hell. Hell is the only subject that he can write more than 10 words about. Otherwise, he would just desperately glaze on the paper waiting for inspiration. So, one day he decided to break free and to write about paradise. So he went like:

Paradise! What a nice place to be. I won't forget that small window where I could sneak peak at hell. You'll be blown up by hell. Hell is .......blah blah blah

dude, The topic is about IE7. Exactly why do you have to bring IE6 in every one of your posts? :lol:

you see, I have this friend who doesn't know how to write an essay about any subject but hell. Hell is the only subject that he can write more than 10 words about. Otherwise, he would just desperately glaze on the paper waiting for inspiration. So, one day he decided to break free and to write about paradise. So he went like:

Paradise! What a nice place to be. I won't forget that small window where I could sneak peak at hell. You'll be blown up by hell. Hell is .......blah blah blah

Heaven forbid if he ever writes about New York or politicians. He'd have a field day!

/offtopic

dude, The topic is about IE7. Exactly why do you have to bring IE6 in every one of your posts? :lol:

You mean the all of my two posts.. one of them refuting yours.. the other actually responding to someone bringing up the RTL issue when using IE6... cleary.. every post

You mean the all of my two posts.. one of them refuting yours.. the other actually responding to someone bringing up the RTL issue [color="#FF0000"]when using IE6[/color]... cleary.. every post

including this one :lol:

can anyone show me please where did I mansion IE6? :lol:

OK, I know you guys are not RTL native speakers but is RTL that mysterious that you can't tell if a search box is rendered on top of the forum's tabs under IE7? of course, I can report any issues I have to the tracker including those which if you fix for this browser, you gonna end up messing it all up in that browser. I think it's just about time to come up with a more efficient solution. because:

1- You can't just rely on the browser to overwrite properties from, say, ipb_styles with ipb_rtl. It won't always work under IE7

2- It's simply inefficient. Because your including entries that will never be used. But rather got thrown away by the user's browser in favor of those in ipb_rtl.

3- ipb_rtl is sandwiched between to JS includes which would increase loading time and causes the user drop down menu to stay open until the page finish loading.

we need more efficient ways for handling RTL and to be honest with you no one of us has a real bilingual forum in order to care about how an RTL website would look when switched back to LTR.

thank you

Enkidu

I know but let me put it this way*. [url="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php"]vBulletin[/url] has a nice right to left test feature. I just checked it under Chrome, FireFox, IE7, and IE8. and you know what? the layout was the same. It's not magic of course but, let's say, better support.

the same thing goes for phpBB.

---------------------------------

* yeah it's the vbulletin card >_<

not sure what you mean by "having a CSS file that overrides the primarily styles is EXACTLY the right way to handle it" because I don't think so.

sometimes you have a div (or whatever) with:

left: 10px; in ipb_styles

and then you have for the same div

right: 10px; in ibp_rtl

opps there you go I said IE6 here so the topic must've been about IE6 :lol:

so what exactly is your point here? You didn't think I'm advertising vB here, did you? I LOVE IPS. I really do. Otherwise, you wouldn't find me here. but the thing is: this is the IP.Board feedback forum. So, you tell me, does it have to be always positive feedback in the sort of: cheers you're the best...thank you guys...blah blah blah?

You don't have to be a Rabbi to tell if the layout of a website written in Hebrew is broken or not. You see the type of "bugs" I'm talking about are BROWSER-SPECIFIC. For instance, you can simply compare between how the website renders under FF and under IE7.

I know. I really know. What I'm asking here is to give more love to RTL. Sort of QA is you like. The whole point I'm trying to make here is: there many bugs in RTL under IE7 and it's getting really annoying doing all that. Whereas if you just set your English language pack to RTL and view the website in IE7, You gonna spot them yourself and it won't take you more than 5 minutes. Beside, you've already going to do that any way when I report the issue in order to confirm it.

I can't force my users to do that. They would simply browse away to another forum which does support IE7.

good god I've been pwned and my argument about IE6 has been refuted. :huh:

Archived