Reputation system : limit usage

sunnmagic

Hi,

The reputation system is a good idea, but unfornately, some members don't use it correctly. For example, if a member doesn't like another member, he can set several bad reputation points to this person in the same minute. Another example, a new account, even with no posts, can use this system (so if a member really doesn't like someone, he can create several accounts to use the reputation system on the poor member).

Si, would it be possible to :

. Prohibit members with less than XX posts to use the system ?
. Set a delay between two identical reputation points (he can set a + and a - in the same time, but not " - - - -",...) ?

Thanks !

On a group by group basis you have three options....

Maximum number of positive reputation points this group can give in a 24 hour period

Maximum number of negative reputation points this group can give in a 24 hour period

Can view who gave reputation?

You could set up a group for people with more than say 10 posts and allow them a higher number of reputation per 24 hours. This should solve most of the issues - or perhaps turn off negative rep all together like this forum.

Thanks ;)

That's what I thought for the new member's prohibition to give reputation points, affect new members to a special group. How can I choose a special group to put the new members in it (and they will be move in the "member" group after X posts) ?

We suggest me to turn off negative rep too, but I think it's a bad idea. As I answered to that, for example, imagine a member that will have many positive rep points, very often. And one day, nobody knows why, many of his posts became bad... very bad. So, he deserves negative rep points ! but it's impossible... and so, even if his posts became "bad", he will always have a good reputation...

I'm working in a modification that will do:

- Prohibit members with less than XX posts to use the system
- Prohibit reputation in specific forums
- Prohibit reputation points when IPs are the same (post author and reputation giver)
- Some kind of delay between two identical reputation points

Suggestions accepted.

Thanks ;)

That's what I thought for the new member's prohibition to give reputation points, affect new members to a special group. How can I choose a special group to put the new members in it (and they will be move in the "member" group after X posts) ?

We suggest me to turn off negative rep too, but I think it's a bad idea. As I answered to that, for example, imagine a member that will have many positive rep points, very often. And one day, nobody knows why, many of his posts became bad... very bad. So, he deserves negative rep points ! but it's impossible... and so, even if his posts became "bad", he will always have a good reputation...

I would give limitations to your existing members group and then elevate them to a 'regular users' group after say 10 posts. That it what I do, it does however mean everyone will need to make 10 posts to get to that group.

Up to you on disabling negative rep :)

I'm working in a modification that will do:

- Prohibit reputation points when IPs are the same (post author and reputation giver)

Suggestions accepted.

Good news, will it be available in the next version of IPB ?

Another suggestion : To be able to disable the rep system for a specified member (if he makes an abuse of the system).

I would give limitations to your existing members group and then elevate them to a 'regular users' group after say 10 posts. That it what I do, it does however mean everyone will need to make 10 posts to get to that group.

Up to you on disabling negative rep :)

Ok, I will think about that, thanks ;)

Already done:

- Prohibit reputation points to banned members
- Allow reputation point only to the first post of the topic
- Ban member from reputation system

Already done:

[s]- Ban member from reputation system[/s]

[s]- Some kind of delay between two identical reputation points[/s]

Some kind of delay between two identical reputation points

Done as flood control in X minutes. User cannot give concurrent votes to same user.

The biggest problem I have with the system is that it's applied per "User Group." The Reputation System, the limits that you can set, should be limited "per user" not "per member group." Also, if youo want to stop the abuse, disable the negative reputation. I have. It prevent those kinds of abuses that were previously posted in this topic.

That isn't what I posted about. The system should be able to limit on a member to member basis, not just by user groups. Say, for instance, that youo just want to limit one particular member to using the rep system a few times per day, the current setup does NOT allow you to do that. In order to do that, you have to limit the rep system by user group.

The rep system is too limiting.

• 1 year later...

Already done:

[s]- Ban member from reputation system[/s]

[s]- Some kind of delay between two identical reputation points[/s]

Where i can find those options?

I have been building and refining a reputation system on my vb big board for years. For reputation to work, especially negative reputation its needs several functions, or there will absolutely be abuse:
- (dis)allow usergroups to give reputation
- minimum reputation spread: users need to spread some reputation before rating the same member again.
- moderate reputation
- retract reputation
- report reputation
- reputation comments visible under posts
- promotion / demotion based upon reputation

The last one is a biggie, as this allows members to deal with trolls and spammers. I could not live without the above.

I also have a reputation trade detector and a multiple account detector with it.

• 2 years later...

sunnmagic, you bring up the exact issue I brought up when IPS originally let us know that they would add such a system back when IPS3 was being developed. During the alpha and beta testing phases, what you experienced actually happened here on the forums when a reputation fight began. Just as soon as the final version of IPS3 was released and I upgraded, I disabled the 'negative' function of the reputation system because I knew this was a bad idea. From the start, the members of my community have been only allowed to click the positive reputation on anything. The reason for this move on my part was that I get hit with forum spammers and forum trolls from other anime communities who have tried to negatively impact my community. The problem is that I don't think there's w way to remove a negative point once it has been entered.

While it limits the reputation system on my community, I realized the major problems that the negative reputation system could have, which is I opted to only allow positive reputation points.

Archived