Company forums - Alternate Contacts

Biker.GA

I'm sure with many sites (such as ours) the individual who owns the site and makes the purchases is different from the individual who does the day to day maintenance, administration and installation of the forum software. This makes it somewhat difficult and awkward when attempting to maintain the site, and the Admin is unable to access the specialized areas to download software or post issues.

Would it be possible for those that are designated as alternate contacts in the account settings to be given the same permissions that Active Customers are provided? Yes, I could log in using the owner's name with his blessing, but as a long time IT professional, I HATE doing that. It goes against everything I have pounded into my users as far as using someone else's login. I don't like doing it, I HATE doing it, and avoid it unless it's absolutely necessary to get something to fix an issue. I would much rather have those designated to act on the owner's behalf, have the same permissions that they do.

Doable? Sure would make MY life much easier, and I'm sure, other Administrators as well.

• Management

When you create an alternate contact you also assign what packages that person has access to. Here on the forums they also get access to those areas. So like if you gave an alternate contact IP.Blog access they would have access to IP.Blog sections here.

Please note that alternates are not able to download the software packages from the client area.

Yes, they can, as long as the permissions have been checked by the purchaser of the software.

Nor do they have access to Customer Lounge.

Secret handshake required, huh? ;)

When you create an alternate contact you also assign what packages that person has access to. Here on the forums they also get access to those areas. So like if you gave an alternate contact IP.Blog access they would have access to IP.Blog sections here.

Charles, can the forum permissions be updated to also allow access to the resources area as well? I just tried to download the IPC.Wordpress module for IP.Converge and it's telling me to go pound sand. Danke!

• 2 weeks later...

After opening a ticket regarding this issue, and a promise to bump it up the chain, I feel this needs to be brought into the open so others who may be in my position can also chime in.

The inability of alternate contacts to download purchased software hampers the ability of those individuals to do what they need to do with their sites. The reason I was given for this ability being removed was there were those that downloaded and then used it for their own purposes. Why weren't the original purchasers taken to task? I can guarantee that if someone I had put into a position of trust downloaded software and used it illegally, I'd be providing all the necessary information to track the cretin down for prosecution. And for those owners that refused, it's a simple matter of canceling their license.

Preventing administrators who have been appointed as an alternate contact from downloading the software puts them in an difficult position. They either need to bother the software purchaser (who may or may not be involved with the day-to-day administration of the server), or they use the purchaser's login information to get the required updates. Both are unacceptable solutions as far as I'm concerned.

Being able to apply patches and upgrades in a timely fashion can be critical to a site's operation. The existing practice of not allowing designated contacts to obtain the necessary software to do this is not only a hindrance to the efficient running of our sites, it also puts us in an untenable position if we have to use the owner's information to obtain it.

I respectfully request that this practice be reviewed and reversed as soon as possible.

Critical patches tend to be posted in the Feedback IPS News forum as an attachment (the main download is updated at the same time) so anyone can get these patches by just downloading the attachment.

EDIT... I put 'Feedback' instead of 'News' but regardless, critical patches are posted in a public area.

Still Andy, I actually agree with him. He said patches and upgrades can be critical to a site's operation, not critical patches and upgrades. It could be as simple as for a broken feature.

I get that the really large companies just have their administrator get in touch with their account manager, but what about mid-sized companies (or even large fan communities run by multiple people) who don't have a dedicated account manager? They're stuck either logging into the account created by the purchasing officer or the fan community's network administrator. Either of those wont fly.

They used to be able to. People would add others as an alternate contact essentially to distribute the files.

Yes, we saw several instances where someone would "sell" a license on a third party site, then they'd simply add that person as an alternate contact. Of course it would take a while to figure out what happened, and then in the end we'd of course have to cancel the license and ask that any sites on the license be taken down. It's a difficult scenario to address.

Is there a possibility where you could grant alternate contacts access on a case by case basis if they were to provide some sort of identifying information, so that you know who to go after? That way people who only need alternate contacts for support still have that option, and granting access to downloads would be something that requires foreknowledge on IPS' part.

• Management

We could explore that as a possibility, but to be honest, with thousands upon thousands of customers - it could get a bit tedious keeping track and making exceptions for this customer, but not that customer. It's something we're willing to consider at some point though.

We could explore that as a possibility, but to be honest, with thousands upon thousands of customers - it could get a bit tedious keeping track and making exceptions for this customer, but not that customer. It's something we're willing to consider at some point though.

I know I wouldn't mind providing information as an alternate, and I'm sure others wouldn't mind as well. Anything to allow alternates the ability to do what they need to do. The current system doesn't allow that.

This is not an easy problem to solve.

I get that the really large companies just have their administrator get in touch with their account manager, but what about mid-sized companies (or even large fan communities run by multiple people) who don't have a dedicated account manager? They're stuck either logging into the account created by the purchasing officer or the fan community's network administrator. Either of those wont fly.

I agree, it is the mid size forums that have the issue where the person that bought the software might have personal conversations from that account.

If people are buying licenses and 're-selling' the accounts by simply adding others as alternate contact so they can get support, that is not good. For instance a group of 10 buy 1 license but they can all use support tickets and download the software at their leisure. From a company resource point of view it the tech support provided for each could dwarf the lost revenue from the sale of the IPS software (which they might not buy anyway).

Have you thought about only allowing 1 Alternate contact for non-business licenses? And letting that contact download?

Perhaps allowing alternate contact(s) download ability should apply only to the Business License as I would assume those would be less likely to have potential problems (hence why it was removed originally)

Just a random thought. :)

I didn't realize that you could have more than one Alt Contact per account. This would be the first thing I would change. I understand it's 'nice' to have more than one person being able to do stuff on a site, but when it comes to gaining support, downloading files and having access I don't think there should be any need for more than the license owner and one other person having these options.

Limiting it to one person and then setting up some process to verify the Alt Contact to allow them access to the downloads. Maybe this process needs to include gaining a credit card number and permission to charge that card if the Alt Contact is found running a site that isn't licensed?

I don't know.. I know it's tough for IPS to find that middle ground, but I do agree with Biker, if you allow the Alt Contact all access to gain support, then they should be allowed to maintain their site by reaching the downloads that license is includes.

Jamie

If people are buying licenses and 're-selling' the accounts by simply adding others as alternate contact so they can get support, that is not good. For instance a group of 10 buy 1 license but they can all use support tickets and download the software at their leisure. From a company resource point of view it the tech support provided for each could dwarf the lost revenue from the sale of the IPS software (which they might not buy anyway).

Have you thought about only allowing 1 Alternate contact for non-business licenses? And letting that contact download?

Please ignore this comment.

Clearly if several people are buying a license as a group, they would simply share that buyers original account login details. Sorry!

It seems to me that preventing alternate contacts from downloading the software doesn't really prevent piracy, especially if the original purchaser is willing to let others use their login information to obtain the software.

The obvious solution is to tie the license information into a routine that allows the software to be used. In other words, if a site shows up on a new domain without the proper credentials, it's crippled and cannot be used.

It seems to me that preventing alternate contacts from downloading the software doesn't really prevent piracy, especially if the original purchaser is willing to let others use their login information to obtain the software.

Or even if the original purchaser downloads it and puts it on their forum for others to download. We have a hidden moderator forum that only moderators can see. I attach the software in that so the tech person can get the files. But there is nothing to stop someone from posting their software publicly, or in a forum that needs $ to gain access.

Tough problem for sure.

The obvious solution is to tie the license information into a routine that allows the software to be used. In other words, if a site shows up on a new domain without the proper credentials, it's crippled and cannot be used.

I'm new at this, but when I entered my license key into my admincp, the company software (IPS) knew what domain I installed the software on. I believe that means that the online spam prevention and IP chat will only work on 1 domain. Not quite the same thing as what you mentioned, but possibly related?

Archived