What would you like for v3.2?

Wolfie

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*whew*

From the other topic, I grabbed the requested items and squished them in. Some I had to combine based on similar concept or what not.

Okay so here's how this works. It's a public poll (people can see who voted for what). For the first group, I ask that you vote for at least three things but NO MORE than five. The idea is that this will use the ideas from the other topic to get an idea of what people want. This is NOT a "master list" where other requests can't be made. It's just to find out what ideas are most popular among some ideas already mentioned. This has the potential to let IPS know what we want in the next version of IP.Board. If you have an idea/whatever that isn't in the list, then by all means, mention it. Make a topic and make the request. Even if it IS in the list, if you don't see a topic for it, MAKE ONE! IPS has said many times that individual topics are better. The only purpose of this is to get a central feeling for what ideas are most wanted. I would like to see if something like this could work. If it does, then perhaps we as customers can brain storm some ideas together and put up polls (or perhaps IPS could make some polls?) so that we can feel more like we're part of the process for new development of future releases.

While it's not required, I do ask that when you vote, make a post and mention which of your choices you like the most.

Disclaimer: Voting in this poll does not guarantee that IPS will include/implement any of the above mentioned requests. This is purely to put some ideas to a vote in hopes that it will provide substantial enough feedback to be of interest and of help to IPS staff. This poll is purely user based and was not created by IPS and any participation by IPS staff should not be taken to imply endorsement of this poll. ie, it's just a poll I made.

No topic prefix in the poll? :(

It was mentioned many times before.

I based this poll on the other v3.2 topic I made. I actually had to squeeze some things into similar options to make them all fit. Don't take it personally, as there are tons of ideas that weren't mentioned, including my personal wish for a bookmarking system (internally bookmarking individual posts).

Didn't vote yet... only thought of two that I would like:
- There is a mod for this right? But it requires file edits. It's pretty useful. [*]Per post: Grace period for "Edited by" message; disable author ability to edit (per post) Not on the list, but removing photos and using avatars only (or only showing the photo on the profile page) would be my top priority.

[*]Pick/choose which forums to use in VNC (customized 'forums' layout)

One another thing which would be great (in my opinion): The style-template-files should be editable via "software editor", not only in the ACP, because of syntax highlighting, redo function etc.... Currently the templates seem to be stored in the database - Is there a reason for this?

I can't really vote for any of those things, they mostly seem a bit OTT but I realise you cannot include everything that's been suggested in the last 2 years or so! Social groups would save creating so many Member Groups, so I'll go for that.

I would vote for:

• Allow only 1 copy of signature to show per page in a Personal Conversation
  • Gallery to better support linking to media on online video and image sites.
  • Emoticon Categories.
  • A detailed and cached Public Stats page.
  • Improved SSI page that doesn't strip clickable image attachments - D'oh!
  • Choice of first or last post in RSS Exported Topics.
  • Allow more than one RSS feed import into Blog
  • About Me and Status Updates should both be included on the first page of Member Profile

I can't really vote for any of those things, they mostly seem a bit OTT but I realise you cannot include everything that's been suggested in the last 2 years or so! Social groups would save creating so many Member Groups, so I'll go for that.

So vote for the social groups. :)

• Gallery to better support linking to media on online video and image sites.
  • Allow more than one RSS feed import into Blog

Those wouldn't be IP.Board features, they would be gallery/blog related. :)

One another thing which would be great (in my opinion): The style-template-files should be editable via "software editor", not only in the ACP, because of syntax highlighting, redo function etc.... Currently the templates seem to be stored in the database - Is there a reason for this?

Yes, it's done that way so you can manage your skins via the ACP, and so nifty tools like the template merge center and skin difference reports will work.

If you set up your site with IN_DEV enabled, you can edit flat-file skin templates.

Change the label on the Quote Button from 'Reply' to 'Quote'

We get loads of unnecessary quotes due to this.

The label for the reply button is actually not attached to the image. If you do a search in the manage languages editor and search for "post_reply" you can change it from "Reply" to "Quote" easily.

Please, if you upgrade, give us the ability to use older skins or modifications if possible. At least skins, a small suggestion would be to just fill the missing code for new features with the default code to sort of 'patch' skins until the colors were blended.

Also, I don't see the imperative need for more social networking functions yet, there is a lot of that ability now.

This software only needs 3 things:

1. An integrated tag system.

2. Better image handling. Attached images should have an option to resize the largest version to set dimensions. Or even better, the ability to "attach" images to forum posts by posting them into the gallery and embedding them in the post all in one operation while posting.

3. Revert the comically complicated notifications system.

I'd like to see a default HTML5/CSS3 skin.

Also, support for upload of video (including IPB task for converting to H.264 at multiple resolutions) and for playing these videos as attachments to posts. With smartphones coming with good video cameras and video editing software, the ability to upload videos as attachments and stream them using HTML5/Flash is becoming something that non-techies can do and they want to share with their social networks.

And, keep improving the experience for mobile and other multi-touch devices (like iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, etc.).

1. Blonde.. About 5 ft and a nym... Oh.. Wait... I'll just stop there. :D
2. Forum Opt Out for VNC is a MUST for our forums.
3. Not only would I like to see the source for emoticons, I would like to go to a topic preview via mouseover on the topic, rather than the existing method of clicking the icon.
4. And while modifying user profiles is nice, it shouldn't be the primary reason for the site. More emphasis and control for the forums is what it's all about.
5. As for the ACP, there really does need to be an outside study done, critiquing the efficiency of the ACP options. I suspect it could be streamlined greatly, making it easier to find and apply controls.

At least skins, a small suggestion would be to just fill the missing code for new features with the default code to sort of 'patch' skins until the colors were blended.

And how would you propose that it know where to install the missing code for the new features? Hmmm?

2. Better image handling. Attached images should have an option to resize the largest version to set dimensions. Or even better, the ability to "attach" images to forum posts by posting them into the gallery and embedding them in the post all in one operation while posting.

I love that idea!

1. Blonde.. About 5 ft and a nym... Oh.. Wait... I'll just stop there. :D

Like them tall eh?

Archived