Already logged in user can login again?

Dmitri

I just noticed that if you already logged in and then navigate to the login page
http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login

You basically have the option to login again?

I think there should be a message saying that you already logged in instead of the normal login form.

What do you think?

Yea, makes sense to remove the option of logging in again. In the same token it seems you can also select to register a new account despite still being logged in. It'll log you out, but would it be better to also say you're already logged into your account. I also noticed IPB doesn't have an option to set a simple cookie to prevent duplicate registrations. Won't stop everyone, but still a nice option to have.

I also noticed IPB doesn't have an option to set a simple cookie to prevent duplicate registrations. Won't stop everyone, but still a nice option to have.

That would really only stop those that wouldn't do it anyway. Those that would do it probably already have tools set up to delete such cookies to get around it, thus defeating the feature right away.

Sort of like having gun laws. Making it illegal to have a certain type of gun only stops those who obey the law.

That would really only stop those that wouldn't do it anyway. Those that would do it probably already have tools set up to delete such cookies to get around it, thus defeating the feature right away.

Sort of like having gun laws. Making it illegal to have a certain type of gun only stops those who obey the law.

Well as stated, it won't stop everyone, but you'd be surprised how something simple such as this will cut down on the number of duplicate accounts (this is a built in feature for another forum I was using). It might also depend on how tech savvy your audience is. Cutting down on some of the multiple accounts may already save you a lot of hassle. You can use other addons to deal with the rest. I'm not too sure about the law example you mentioned. If that is the case, you could argue that most people who were brought up well wouldn't break any laws so why have any laws at all?

Well as stated, it won't stop everyone, but you'd be surprised how something simple such as this will cut down on the number of duplicate accounts (this is a built in feature for another forum I was using). It might also depend on how tech savvy your audience is. I'm not too sure about the law example you mentioned. If that is the case, you could argue that most people who were brought up well wouldn't break any laws so why have any laws at all?

They cannot break what is not there. If there are no laws, then obviously they couldn't break any laws. But then, you'd have total chaos.

They cannot break what is not there. If there are no laws, then obviously they couldn't break any laws. But then, you'd have total chaos.

That was exactly what I was trying to say. :rolleyes:
Not everyone will abide by the law, but setting laws already helps keep the majority of people in control.

In this case, would you rather have 10 people around causing trouble, or 5-6 people, or even 8-9? Cutting it down by a little already saves you a lot of trouble IMO.

That was exactly what I was trying to say. :rolleyes:

Not everyone will abide by the law, but setting laws already helps keep the majority of people in control.

In this case, would you rather have 10 people around causing trouble, or 5-6 people, or even 8-9? Cutting it down by a little already saves you a lot of trouble IMO.

I don't see a cookie helping to do much good. I mean that from a perspective of the number of people it would end up stopping. Let's say that at most, 1% of a community would try to make multiple accounts for some silly reason. Out of 10,000 that would only be 100 members. To pull it off, they would have to go through the effort of having another email account, coming up with a new user ID, display name, etc. That's just 100 out of 10,000 that might do it, make a few silly posts and then that's it.

Now, say that someone is a member and signs out and another family member wants to join. This is more likely to happen than those 100 silly people.

In my opinion, the number of people it would stop isn't worth the effort, with the added benefit of preventing legit people from joining the board.

I don't see a cookie helping to do much good. I mean that from a perspective of the number of people it would end up stopping. Let's say that at most, 1% of a community would try to make multiple accounts for some silly reason. Out of 10,000 that would only be 100 members. To pull it off, they would have to go through the effort of having another email account, coming up with a new user ID, display name, etc. That's just 100 out of 10,000 that might do it, make a few silly posts and then that's it.

Now, say that someone is a member and signs out and another family member wants to join. This is more likely to happen than those 100 silly people.

In my opinion, the number of people it would stop isn't worth the effort, with the added benefit of preventing legit people from joining the board.

That is why I said it would be nice to have an "option" for this. You can turn it on or off and it would be off by default. If a member has another family member who wants to register they could PM an admin to create an account. Once again though it depends on your audience. Depending on how mature your members are, some create duplicate accounts for fun and try to cause trouble. The only reason I pointed this out in the first place is that I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to do this, nor would it require a hefty amount of code (I hope) for a simple feature that may be quite valuable for some admins. If it does indeed require a lot of effort to do this than I might not want it in the core either.

@Mr. Despair

Good idea. The whole registration process is due for a conceptual (not technical!) overhaul but I am afraid that's not something IPS will do. It would help people getting more members for their boards but I am not sure it's something you could write onto a feature list of a new version to increase sales. :)

@Mr. Despair

Good idea. The whole registration process is due for a conceptual (not technical!) overhaul but I am afraid that's not something IPS will do. It would help people getting more members for their boards but I am not sure it's something you could write onto a feature list of a new version to increase sales. :)

This is kind of derailing from the topic again, but yea, I agree the registration process could be improved. I always thought the agree to forum rules could be on the same page at the bottom of the registration form (or maybe there is a good reason it has it's own page?). If you have COPPA turned on, you have to go through 3 pages just to register. Cutting it down by one page would be nice enough. Removing this page would also make the "Why register?" blurb fit in more. After all, usually most people who've clicked register, inputted their birthdate and agreed to forum rules generally have already decided to join your forum, so the why register bit used to persuade users to join seems a bit wasted.

@Mr. Despair

I'm not sure where you derive that from. A large proportion of the code we work on is never written down to a feature list to drive sales. Take "data hooks" in 3.1 for instance. Or the fact that the entire codebase was rewritten for 3.0. These aren't features - but we did them anyways, because we felt they would benefit our customers.

We do not operate on the premise "only do things that we can use to drive sales". We operate based on the needs and requests of our customers.

Archived