Download: RH Global Sidebar Modification.zip

tekguru

File Name: RH Global Sidebar Modification.zip
File Submitter: tekguru
File Submitted: 08 May 2010
File Category: Modifications

Using the template edits within the Mod.txt file you will add a Right Hand Global Sidebar to your forum. No configuration is needed or required.

To see what the sidebar looks like please visit www.smartphonegurus.com where you will see it in use in conjunction with DawPi's '(DP30) Advanced Adverts Modification.'

Click here to download this file

• 2 weeks later...

The LH side is possible but as I've no need for it I've never investigated into producing it.

Is is the adverts and it is a global sidebar, it's up to you what you populate it with, I use it for ads, you could put anything in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Tekguru...thanks for your work on this mod.

Does this work in 3.1 ? When i tried in 3.1, it showed up on the main page but on all other pages it's showing on top of the forum

In 3.0.5, it's showing on top in the main page and the forum page ...whereas showing correctly on the actual post page.

I followed your instructions and am using the default skin. Something going wrong..can't figure out

Based on what you said I just went through the Mod on my new 3.1 test system.

I first of all edited it as you suggested and it messed up, I then followed my instructions and it messed up. I then added in the CSS changes and it worked perfectly for me.

So for me at least the Mod works 100% as is in 3.1 as well as 3.0.5.

• 3 months later...

Hello... thanks for this! It looks to be exactly what I need... however, I do have a couple of questions before I install it:

1) are you able to remove the 'Sponsors' header?

2) can you remove the background box? I would like my ads to appear like the two at the bottom (Microsoft MVP and PocketPC)?

3) what dictates the position of the global ad bar? I noticed it tends to position slightly "higher" on the page than the forum headers and main sidebar...

THANKS!! :thumbsup:

BTW, I've actually downloaded this and am looking at it, but I'm a bit confused...

First, I know your site is "in conjunction with DawPi's '(DP30) Advanced Adverts Modification.'", but I can't tell which part is which... :unsure:

Also, the mod.txt file reads: "ADDED CONTENT HERE" and "MORE CONTENT HERE"... what does that mean? Where would I insert my banner ad code??

Also, you noted that in ipb_styles.css you modified the GENERAL_CONTENT section... is that something I need to do for this to work? What does modifying that do?? Is that where I would modify the width of the sidebar. I noticed yours is set to 123px, but I'd like to run 150px ads...

I'd sure love to see this as a hook!! Heck, I'd even pay...

Hello... thanks for this! It looks to be exactly what I need... however, I do have a couple of questions before I install it:

1) are you able to remove the 'Sponsors' header?

Yes as this is part of Dawpi's Mod

2) can you remove the background box? I would like my ads to appear like the two at the bottom (Microsoft MVP and PocketPC)?

Yes Dawpi's mod allows you to use code you wish. My part just allows his code to appear in a side bar.

3) what dictates the position of the global ad bar? I noticed it tends to position slightly "higher" on the page than the forum headers and main sidebar...

Dawpi's mof if you are not talking about the side bar, if you are then my poor ham-handed modification of the templates.

BTW, I've actually downloaded this and am looking at it, but I'm a bit confused...

First, I know your site is "in conjunction with DawPi's '(DP30) Advanced Adverts Modification.'", but I can't tell which part is which... :unsure:

My bit of the system just modifies the templates to hold the side bar and adds the CSS that Dawpi's mod needs to format it correctly.

Also, the mod.txt file reads: "ADDED CONTENT HERE" and "MORE CONTENT HERE"... what does that mean? Where would I insert my banner ad code??

Yes correct I use two custom bits of code from Dawpi but you can add your own in there!

Also, you noted that in ipb_styles.css you modified the GENERAL_CONTENT section... is that something I need to do for this to work? What does modifying that do?? Is that where I would modify the width of the sidebar. I noticed yours is set to 123px, but I'd like to run 150px ads...

I'd sure love to see this as a hook!! Heck, I'd even pay...

See above, I think the width is changed in his Mod. Can't check easily at the moment as my main PC is dead.

I wish I could do that, but way beyond my calpability.

Thanks for teh replies!! I think I'm understanding the correlation now between what you have done and what he has done. In fact, I really only need what YOU did, outside of Dawpi's code, as I am planning to use adsense or another ad provider if I start selling some local ads.

So for example, Google provides code similar toe following for adsense. How would I insert this into your code? I get the part about adding your code to my template, but NOT the part about how to put the ad code into your code. Ugh. lol!

<script type="text/javascript"><!--

google_ad_client = "pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";

/* Sideboard w/text, 250x250, created 9/2/10 */

google_ad_slot = "123456789";

google_ad_width = 250;

google_ad_height = 250;

//-->

</script>

<script type="text/javascript"

src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">

</script>

I think if someone could make a hook out of this, they could probably sell it or at least be really famous. hhaha!

Crud... thanks... my problem is, I don't need all of what Dawpi has to offer. The native IPB ad integration works perfectly for me, excepting the need to put something down that side. :(

I guess I could implement your code, and then try to put my ads in an asp page or somethng and then call them from there. But that's kind of awkward.

If anyone can help, please let me know!

Archived