Error message need to be more specific

Ditchmonkey

User error messages need to be more specific so that when a user reports them to me I have some idea what is going on. Example: if a user tries to upload a photo that exceeds the limit set in PHP, why not state that the image exceeds the Xmb limit? When a user has reached their global quota for the user group they are in, it seems pretty obvious to me that the software should state that rather than another ambiguous error message.

User error messages need to be more specific so that when a user reports them to me I have some idea what is going on. Example: if a user tries to upload a photo that exceeds the limit set in PHP, why not state that the image exceeds the Xmb limit? When a user has reached their global quota for the user group they are in, it seems pretty obvious to me that the software should state that rather than another ambiguous error message.

The time out limit, and exceeding PHP Size limit's are completely different things.. PHP (nor IPS products) have no way to just say well it's going to take this much time, which is higher than your limit of xx sorry !

If the file your uploading is to big it says "This file was to big to upload" , not sure how much more clear this can get.

The time out limit, and exceeding PHP Size limit's are completely different things.. PHP (nor IPS products) have no way to just say well it's going to take this much time, which is higher than your limit of xx sorry !

If the file your uploading is to big it says "This file was to big to upload" , not sure how much more clear this can get.

I wasn't sure if that one would be possible but clearly there are other areas where the error message is ambiguous as in my second example.

Archived