Notification Feedback

Bartosz Misiak

Welcome.
Ever since I read about the brand new notification system, I was amazed with the way it could improve the way I'd browse forums. The system may be brilliant, but as we all know, it still needs to be polished.

I like the changes listed this post, but there's still one serious problem with it. Namely - noticifations are written as they were e-mails and so we've got to go inside each notification to see what it actually links to. It's obvious in case of e-mails, but I wish i could go straight from the notification pop-up to a Personal Conversation or to a post, which quotes my own post etc.

So I suggest making another button in the pop-up window near "View notification", like "Go to source" or whatever the name would be, thanks to which we could skip reading this message, which actually looks unprofessional compared to all the advanced stuff in IPB, don't you think?

Hello!

This message is to notify you that one of your posts has been quoted by Stephen.

The post that was quoted can be found here:

http://community.inv...ost__p__1941225

The post that Stephen submitted can be found here:

http://community.inv...ost__p__1941269

----------------------------------

Yes I know it is crippled, hence the "I suspect the people complaining about the lack of expansion ports aren't thinking about it just in terms of connecting a digital camera" ;)

----------------------------------

If you no longer wish to receive notifications of quoted posts, you can adjust your preferences on the

board by clicking My Settings, and then choosing Notification Options.

http://community.inv...r.com/index.php

Application would have to provide a link to the source while triggering a notification in order for this functionality to work. The button would not appear if it didn't provide a link.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Regards.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting at what the notification is talking about

You've probably have heard this over and over. And by the blog, I'm assumming it hasn't been done yet. But I feel this is the most important part of the notification system that is missing, above everything else. When clicking on a notification or the button it should take you to what the notification is talking about. A great example is when someone quotes your post. It should take you to the post that quoted yours.

Keep it simple... please!

The current pop-up has three buttons, not including the new arrows:

View Notification (1/#)
Mark As Read
Ignore This Notification

The first button, "View Notification", should be "View" and should take you to what the notification is talking about. A notification on the board should be small enough to fit into the popup. There is really no need to go to another page to read it. The only time a notification should have detailed information is when an email is sent.

"Mark As Read" is a bit useless. It should be assumed that if you click on "View" or close it that it has been read.

"Ignore This Notification" should be something like "Close", but should mark the notification as read.

If you have multiple notifications and close the box, only the viewed notifications should be marked read. If you use the arrow to view two and click "Close" or "View" those two are marked read, but the others are not. Still, the popup does not show up again for the rest. The number at the top should reflect the number of unread notifications.

Two numbers? Shouldn't there be one?

To me having another drop down is horrid. Especially when the number is 0. What's even worse is having 1 number for personal messages, and another for notifications. I think that the number for personal messages should be replaced by the unread notifications number. Display the unread notifications number how the personal messages number is. When you click on the number it should take you to "Your Notifications" (no menu, please). If you view "Your Notifications" it should not mark all notifications as read. If you click on a notification in "Your Notifications" you should be able to get at the "what" from the list. When you do this, or view the details of the notification, it should be marked as read.

The "Your Notifications" list should use the icons that the drop down menu currently does.

Clearing out old notifications automatically

For me personally I don't bother deleting old notifications that are read. It's too much of a chore. And other users will likely feel the same way. There should be a way to automatically delete notifications with some sort of threshold... At least after they've been marked as read.

--

This is my opinion of how the notification system could improve at this point. To me if you were to consider these things the notification system would be much more useful.

The thing that is annoying me is the notification about a status update does not have a link to the person's status just a link to the notifications settings so I keep accidently going to the notification settings when I want to pull up the status.

Another thing I want to add/ask:

How does the "quote" notification work? Does it work just on hitting "Reply" next to someone's name? Or does it also read post tags as well? What happens if I decide to quote more than one person? Like if I were to click on the multi quote? What about if I were to hit "Reply", copy the quoted text, and go to another "Reply" and quote two people? Does it read the name off the name='' part of the quote tag as well? If it doesn't, I really think it should.

I agree. I've said it many times too. I don't care about the notification. Why are you taking me to the notification? The notification holds nothing relevant. It did its job when it popped up. Take me to what the notification is notifying me about.

Yes. I know you guys have said this is planned eventually, but I think it's a little too fundamental to allow it to wait. PM notifications should take you to the PM, status notifications should take you to the status, quote notifications should take you to the topic.

That would make the feature incredibly helpful. As it is, it seems more like a checklist of things to try to track down [if you even can at all, as in statuses].

• Management

Some good ideas here and we agree with some of them. We'll keep improving notifications - don't worry :)

This is why we preview things on our forums before release. Not only do we get bug testing but also feedback from real use.

• Management

This has been mentioned a few times. We can and most likely will improve the item in the drop down menu so it is more descriptive. Future versions will probably allow foreign IDs to be stored so we can directly link to the item.

Clicking the notification in the dropdown should take me to the specific post, no need for the other screen. (unless you click view all?)

how about an X or something next to the notification, to quick delete.

Yep I agree with you.

Indeed, we didn't want to build a new system, put it up, tear it apart, put up another version, etc. It's generally best to make changes in steps so that we can weigh what works (and what customers like) vs what doesn't.

Great feedback so far

Some good ideas here and we agree with some of them. We'll keep improving notifications - don't worry :)

This is why we preview things on our forums before release. Not only do we get bug testing but also feedback from real use.

Indeed, we didn't want to build a new system, put it up, tear it apart, put up another version, etc. It's generally best to make changes in steps so that we can weigh what works (and what customers like) vs what doesn't.

Great feedback so far

Another example of why IPB is the best forum software available. Developers who actually listen to user feedback!

Archived