From Internet Brands to Invision Power Services

Nityananda

Just thought I would put this message on for 2 reasons. One as I would like to tell Invision "You are doing it right!!!", and secondly to show this to any potential VBulletin convert as I think its important.

I have been a user of vbulletin on and off since early version 2 and have seen many upgrades of a large size done to the vbulletin software under jelsoft. Jelsoft IMO was the company to beat and if they had carried on as they did in the version 2 days I think you would have struggled to compete with them, I will say that honestly. Now in my opinion there are 2 things that have changed. One is the management of their software being taken over by internet brands, and the second being the seemly inability to keep up with the times and add what every user needs to their community software.

Now I think the second item there you clearly win hands down as this software suite simply has most of what your ever going to need. People can mention that vbulletin has more hacks/mods etc that any other software and that is true, however from what I have experienced over the past few month this it not down to the dedication of free addon providers, but more down to the lack of need. Of course there are going to be some, however I have around half the quantity of modifications on my current site as I did on vbulletin and 0 loss of usability with the added benefit of 100% support from invision on the majority of it as they are official products.

This one however is the big one for me. I have been reading every blog, every topic posted on the progress of 3.1 and one things stands out above all else, and thats the fact that you guys listen. You have an excellent team of developers that are active in the community they work for (and remember guys, this is a job for them not a hobby). Charles I think has a massive affect on the structured organisation of this and I think is a big asset to invision, and I do hope that his managers are reading this topic also.

So if you guys wanna know why your winning, the answer is simple. You listen to us and act upon in accordingly. NOTHING AT ALL is more important to any of us, whether it be a hobby like myself or a business than you listening. NOTHING!!!

THANKYOU IPS

Thanks for your great feedback!

By the way, Charles is the CEO ;) As you can see, we're all hands-on, no matter what our position :)

Thank f*** for that ..... means he cant dissapear on us ....

PS:- Charles if you ever sell to internet brands I'm huntin you down with a stick LOL

• Management

Actually, and if anyone happens to care, the corporate structure is:

Matt: Chairman and CSA
Lindy: CEO
Me: President

I make them play hail to the chief when I enter the room but (other than that) really titles are pretty meaningless. We all do what needs to be done and all have our specific roles we play.

Thank you for your feedback. We're not perfect and make mistakes all the time but I think our biggest advantage is that we realize that and are happy to say "you're right" if something needs to be changed.

• Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide such excellent feedback. As you might imagine, we've had a significant number of conversions and we're pleased that so many such as yourself are pleased with the switch.

You are right - Charles does a fantastic job at project management and keeping everyone on task. Of course, we don't like to tell him that too often, otherwise his head might swell to the point we wouldn't be able to get him back into the basement at the end of the day. :)

Thank you again.

I will say there are two things that you will see when you research IPB.

Dedication and Innovation

Dedication to Customers
I had been a VB customer since 2004 and purchased the presale suite they offered at a discount in November. It is unfortunate that VB4 failed in so many aspects that I never upgraded my community after installing a test board. Buggy release after buggy release have come and VB4 still has not reached the quality that its predecessors had. I have watched the Epic Meltdown between frustrated long time customers and the current staff at vBulletin Solutions.

I have watched the 3.1 beta rollout here at IPS. Many, many blog posts about new features. After the initial 3.1 beta was running live here, IPS did something else. They took feedback. They listened. They retooled. There was no feeling of "that's the way it is."

Now on to IPS' presale. They did a presale while 3.1 was running on their site. Holy cow, what a concept. Not only did they run the presale, they backdated the presale a half a month for people who have recently purchased.

Innovations in Features and Design.
I never thought IPS would spring ahead of VB in terms of core functionality and design. Now, it seems VB is attempting to play catch up with IPS. If you have the ablity to read posts from VB's Licensed Customer Feedback (in their forums), you will read things like "Why not do (X) the way IPB has done it." or "IPB has been doing (X) and I really like it."

Never mind the overall navbar and sidebar scheme have been duplicated by VB, now social network integration is coming too.

I have always prided myself and my community on Innovation and Design. Thanks to IPS, I still have a company that aligns with the same core values. %7Boption%7D

I have watched the 3.1 beta rollout here at IPS. Many, many blog posts about new features. After the initial 3.1 beta was running live here, IPS did something else. They took feedback. They listened. They retooled. There was no feeling of "that's the way it is."

Now on to IPS' presale. They did a presale while 3.1 was running on their site. Holy cow, what a concept. Not only did they run the presale, they backdated the presale a half a month for people who have recently purchased.

I agree. Thats why I like it here. You can tell how much they listen. %7Boption%7D

the default skin rocks hardcore much cleaner than "that other board"

i already decided to take the plunge i now just have to see what finances i have to deal with. that will have to wait im tired and need some sleep. (i live in NY) i am such a night person!

Mike same here. The moment I upgraded my forum to 4.0.3 I decided that either I'll shut it down or I'll switch to IPB. After playing with IPB demo a little I choose the switch option :) Hell if they are going to give me the 5 for free I'll not use. At the end of the day it's not just about money, it's about behave, commitment & how you treat your customer :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing, the webware looks good and Hey Looky, IP has a manual... lol

You know a product is complete when it comes with a manual. 'nough said

there is a manual.... Link?
I know there was one for a much older release 2.x?

Archived