Feature reguest: change themes via URL

Owdy

I know IPS is good, but they haven't mastered Quantum Theory yet.

Theorizing that one could time-travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project known as Quantum Leap. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Dr. Beckett prematurely stepped into the project accelerator... and vanished.

Then don't set Guests able to use the skin. You're contradicting yourself here, you want guests using mobile devices to be able to use the skin but you don't want guests able to use the skin. You want to do it by URL but don't want to do it by URL mapping.

I know IPS is good, but they haven't mastered Quantum Theory yet.

If they would, I doubt they would continue developing IPB :) would they?

But here it is: I want guests on a mobile to be able to view the mobile skin, but I do not want guests that enter the website via normal internet, to be able to select the mobile skin. So in my humble opinion, I am not really contradicting myself... (A)

However, now that I'm writing about it, this can possibly more easily be effected by skinning out the skin selector for guests...

If they would, I doubt they would continue developing IPB :) would they?

But here it is: I want guests on a mobile to be able to view the mobile skin, but I do not want guests that enter the website via normal internet, to be able to select the mobile skin. So in my humble opinion, I am not really contradicting myself... (A)

However, now that I'm writing about it, this can possibly more easily be effected by skinning out the skin selector for guests...

What if a guest is on a mobile device that isn't being recognized as a mobile device?

• 1 year later...

There are other use cases. For example, a white label website which allows customers to embed itself in iframe.

Now how one is supposed to allow such a customer to chose a theme? This can only be done using URL parameters or referrer.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, which is entirely possible, I don't think white label hosted forums embedded via iframe with different themes is within the spirit of the license agreement. I wouldn't really see that as a valid use case, personally.

(Disclaimer: personal opinion, not necessarily representative of IPS policy, etc)

• 8 years later...
Just now, bfarber
20 hours ago, Maxxius said:

I wonder does an easy way exist in 4.4 to change a skin via url. perhaps a link to change skin directly can be added via menu manager?

You would need the CSRF key in the URL, but otherwise yes it's doable.

Would you kindly provide an example.how could I obtain that key?

Archived