Community

On April 08, 2014, the extended support phase for all Windows XP based products (Home, Pro, Media Center and Tabel) will be retired. (This includes security updates)

This announcement was made about the same time as Windows 7 was released, and is available on the Microsoft Support Cycle link. The previous page will have information about the extended phase and security updates term. You will notice that mainstream support has already been ended for all but Service Pack 3.

My question to you is, when will you switch over to Windows 7? (Or 8 if that comes out by the time XP's support is finally retired)

Keep in mind, this isn't a debate topic about why XP is better than 7, or vice-versa.

In regard to the original question, yes and no. My current machine is really due replacement anyway (as I've just been dragging old bits and pieces together for about 5 years) , so a nice new machine I'll go with 7. This one I'll keep as a spare on XP anyway, so won't be upgrading it. :)

I cut a lot of text out of this reply before posting it regarding the changes I read to the display model driver (which is why there's a difference between XP vs 7 vs Vista, in that 'speed' order) as it was not relevant to the topic.

I'm already on Windows 7 on my laptop and desktop. I don't miss XP at all. One thing that I did because I didn't like Windows File Manager was to install a free utility that gave me cut, copy and paste buttons.

One thing that I would recommend is doing a clean install of Windows 7.

3DKiwi

I have already did the switch to Windows 7 when it came out. Took advantage of the student discount. :P AND the free copy from MSDNAA

Hah, 2 free copies from MSDNAA here (Windows 7 Pro & Windows 7 Pro N), plus the fact I have 3 student e-mail addresses. ;)

All of my computers are switched over, skipped Vista, went from XP x86 --> 7 x64, not looked back.

I still use XP on two of my computers, and have no intentions of switching. I've never used Microsoft's support services, so whether they support XP or not doesn't really affect which operating system I will use.

I have vista on one laptop, and Win 7 on another at home as well. I don't mind Win 7, but there's nothing I need out of it to compel me to upgrade.

My new laptop came with Windows 7 64 bit so I am using it and like it alot. I do have XP installed on my desktop but the computer is old and is not compatible with Windows 7. Probably will wait until 2014 to replace desktop as I don't use it that often. I don't use Microsoft support so it doesn't matter much one way or the other to me.

It really depends. If it was Vista vs 7 I would definitely go with 7. As soon as we get out license pack at the office to upgrade the older machines I'll upgrade my wife's laptop from vista to 7. My MacBook, which is a 1st gen intel, has XP on it and it runs beautifully. It'll keep XP because there isn't a reason for me to change. I play a few games that were designed for XP. Now if/when I get a new MacBook I'll put 7 on it as I have with XP on my current one (BootCamp).

I equate Vista to being like Windows ME. Skip Vista all together. 7 is what Vista should have been.

MSDOS FOREVER!

Your so right there...

Gorilla.bas & nibble.bas for ever (as well) I think I was 7 and we had Dos 5.11 and I kept editing gorilla and nibbles to make it harder than hell.. My mom couldn't figure out how to fix it so she'd just 'Barneys Girlfriend' and reinstall the OS than Wordperfect ... ha

I haven't used XP as my primary OS since the Vista RC was released to the public. And I haven't used Vista as my primary OS since the first leaked Win7 beta.

XP is ancient history to me, and I have absolutely no reason to ever use it again.

Already upgraded to Win7. It has a God Mode. :o

No, seriously, try making a new folder and name it as follows. It's pretty cool.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

I run a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but I also have an older one that I have Windows XP Media Center on. Truthfully, I doubt that I will ever upgrade my older one to Windows 7 or above (even though I do use it much more than the new one, for the programs and such that I have on there); I'm still happy with Windows XP, and I never really used Microsoft's support services. Also, being that the older laptop is already 4 years old, I doubt that I'll still have it when support ends. Four years is a long time. :)