Wish for Forum Jump

shetlandpony

In the new version you have to click an extra time to make a forum jump. For example if I am in this forum and go to the bottom to jump to another one you have to click the forum and then click go. In the old version you just clicked the forum you wanted to jump to and went there without clicking go. Just my 2 cents :)

Kay

I agree Kay, this would make sense to not have to click Go. When you're in the drop down menu and scroll to where you want to go, when you click that option you should be taken there.

The less clicks and time needed to get from point A to point B is always a good thing.

@.Wolfie

They would think to themselves... "Opps...." and then they would use the back button, or the jump menu below the forum they did go to and go to the proper forum. :)

For me, the less clicking and cleaner the look the better the script... just my humble opinion though. :)

Jamie

What if someone uses it and accidentally selects the wrong forum? Then suddenly they are taken somewhere they didn't want to go to see something they didn't want to see and could be losing time they can't afford.

What if someone accidentally clicks on the wrong topic in the topic list but wanted to click on a different one? Then suddenly they are taken somewhere they didn't want to go to see something they didn't want to see and could be losing time they can't afford.

No more like, "GDI, why couldn't they make it require a GO button?"

You can make the same argument for every action that doesn't have a confirmation. You're assuming most people will make a mistake.

You could implement that for your forum using this tip: [url="http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/297372-when-selecting-forum-jump-any-way-to-not-have-to-click-go/page__p__1870808__fromsearch__1entry1870808"]http://community.inv...1entry1870808[/url]

Apparently, I was the one that wrote it. You'd be surprised how often I see a useful tip I wrote and go "huh?"

Hey, that's perfect! I bookmarked that thread for future reference as I get my IPB site ready to go live.

Thanks!

Jamie

"Six of one, half dozen of the other"

I actually like the idea of adding a Go button for skin/language changes. Maybe if this were a per member option (or a per board option via ACP), then I could see that. But with all the "one click" things out there, people are forgetting the appreciable benefit of requiring a second click on things. Thank goodness impatient people don't have control over important things such as nuclear missile launches, otherwise we'd have already been in WWIII by now.

• 1 month later...

In the new version you have to click an extra time to make a forum jump. For example if I am in this forum and go to the bottom to jump to another one you have to click the forum and then click go. In the old version you just clicked the forum you wanted to jump to and went there without clicking go. Just my 2 cents :)

Kay

I agree 100%

This is a basic feature in every forum software I know of (vbulletin, phpBB, SMF, YaBB, etc. etc.) and it used to be the default for IPB. I'm not sure why it was removed for 3.0, but I miss it.

lol @ "what if someone accidentally selects the wrong forum." I usually agree with your feedback Wolfie, but that's a terrible excuse.

I agree 100%

This is a basic feature in every forum software I know of (vbulletin, phpBB, SMF, YaBB, etc. etc.) and it used to be the default for IPB. I'm not sure why it was removed for 3.0, but I miss it.

I wouldn't go so far as to call automatic submission of the form when changing the option a "feature" or say that it was "removed". We never considered the form auto-submitting to be a "feature". It was just a characteristic of how a feature (the forum jump itself) worked.

That seems a bit semantic from the user end, but you're right.

Whatever we call it, every other forum (including IPB2x) has this "characteristic" and it makes for a better browsing experience. A feature that used to require one click, now requires two.

Call me silly, but when I switched over to IPB the Forum Jump feature at the bottom was one of the things I removed. Reducing the clutter at the bottom...

Also, there is a quick and easy template edit that will fix it so you no longer need to click the GO button. Search for Forum Jump in these forums and you will find it and it's quite easy to fix.

Different opinion I suppose, but I never in all my years used the Forum Jump myself, so I removed it from my site..

Jamie

Call me silly, but when I switched over to IPB the Forum Jump feature at the bottom was one of the things I removed. Reducing the clutter at the bottom...

Also, there is a quick and easy template edit that will fix it so you no longer need to click the GO button. Search for Forum Jump in these forums and you will find it and it's quite easy to fix.

Different opinion I suppose, but I never in all my years used the Forum Jump myself, so I removed it from my site..

Jamie

That is interesting. Just out of curiosity, when you finish reading a thread and want to visit another forum, do you a) scroll back up to the top of the page, click home/forum index, and then scroll down to the forum you wish, b) press back on your browser until you get to the forum index, and then scroll down to the forum you wish, or c) some other option?

That is interesting. Just out of curiosity, when you finish reading a thread and want to visit another forum, do you a) scroll back up to the top of the page, click home/forum index, and then scroll down to the forum you wish, b) press back on your browser until you get to the forum index, and then scroll down to the forum you wish, or c) some other option?

I generally go back to the top, click forums and go to the forum I want to go to. However, it's not often that I just peruse forums. I use the search, view new content or watched items more than just randomly going to certain forums.

If I do find myself thinking about something I know would be in a certain forum while in the middle of viewing new content, I have often used the option of clicking on the forum name in the forum column to get to where I need to be.

I had thought about keeping it when I switched over, but in talking to the people that looked over the test site as I converted it, they didn't see a need for it and since I rarely used it, based on those member's opinion and my usage I removed it.

It's easy enough to put back if I have members asking about it in the future, and I would use the hack to fix it so the GO button isn't needed if I did put it back.

Jamie

Personally, I've never (like...ever) used the forum jump.

I go down the forum listing on the board index and middle click to open each forum in a new tab. When I'm done in that forum, I just close the tab in my browser. If I needed to "jump" to a forum, I'd click back over to the tab that has the board index open and click on the forum from there.

But that's me. I don't judge how others use the software based on my experiences alone.

Archived