Suggestion: Watched Topic Improvement

A Walk in Faith

With me being new to IPB, I am reading and studying each topic in my search. I am finding a wealth of information and "watching the topic" some with email some just watching.

I believe it would be good to have a way to organize the watched topics. Similar to the way PM's are handled.

This would allow me to move topics I am watching for future ideas for my site into one group, and topics I am watching because of a feature or a support topics into another group and topics I am watching because I replied into another different group.

It would also allow me to create if you will my own "guide to running IPB" There are so many kernels of great information in the forums and when you stummble across one, you want to be able to mark it somehow.

Having the ability to separate what you're watching into some sort of grouping would be great in my opinion.

Thanks,

Jamie

I gather for organizational purposes. I like this idea a lot. We expanded the usefulness of watched topics in the latest version ever so slightly (mainly by bringing them to the sidebar as we did) and I think this would take the feature a step further without really requiring a lot of code to be rewritten.

I am looking for organizational purposes only.. I don't care about group permissions... if they have permission to watch a topic then everything else is fair game.. adding permissions and such would get over complicated in my opinion.

I am just looking at my real life case here where I am wicked new to IPB so anything I run across that I could/would use I am "watching that topic" as a way to book mark that gem of information. Breaking that type of stuff away from general chit chat or attempts at helping others would be great.

Thanks for considering this.

Jamie

• 6 months later...

Hey Team...

As you guys are working on the next version, can this idea be considered.

I found myself, as I am learning IP.Content over these past few weekends in need of topics I have tagged to watched, but having a hard time finding them sometimes.

An example.. There is a topic in my watched list that will show me how to make the first Tab be highlighted like the rest of them since I am using that as my 'Home' tab and I can't find that topic..

I would easily be able to find it if I was able to put these watched topics in some sort of order or folders for easy reference.

Thanks for considering this option.

Jamie

Archived