(IPS Forum) Put Watched Content above Recently Added Topics

Bryan Sammers

Increase user activity here and put [url="

Watched Content[/url] over Recently Added Topics.

First thing users want to know is if there are new posts in discussions they participated in.

Honestly, I don't think the majority of our users use Watched Content in that manner. They're certainly welcome to of course (the functionality is there), but from what I've seen, more users are interested in the recent topics block, than the watched topics block.

Interested to see what others say.

Honestly, I don't think the majority of our users use Watched Content in that manner. They're certainly welcome to of course (the functionality is there), but from what I've seen, more users are interested in the recent topics block, than the watched topics block.

Interested to see what others say.

With all respect, but you are interested in having lots of traffic here (you changed the timeout for users online to 30 minutes) and what the users are most intersted in - I can only speak for my forum audience - is the topic they are interested in. Sounds logical. And these topics are usually the topics they participated in. When they are participating in topics with writing posts, they are auto-subscribed to these topics.

With all respect, but you are interested in having lots of traffic here (you changed the timeout for users online to 30 minutes) and what the users are most intersted in - I can only speak for my forum audience - is the topic they are interested in. Sounds logical. And these topics are usually the topics they participated in. When they are participating in topics with writing posts, they are auto-subscribed to these topics.

The users are second most interested in these topics, they did not participate in with writing posts, but were reading them. Therefore I show these topics to the users also.

I am not interested in IPB 2.x discussions. I am not interested in chit chat as I never interact there (this is all an example). Do not show me topics of these forums. But I am interested in what's going on in the topics of my suggestions and how the issues I reported in the bug tracker are handled. Therefore I need both a list of my subscribed topics and a list of my subscribed bug tracker issues on the startpage.

If theres nothing new in these topics, display me these topics I am more likely interested in. That are the topics in the areas I usually interact with. Imagine a car forum with "bmw, mercedes, porsche forums". I everytime talk in the bmw forum. For years. Then it's more likely that I am interested in bmw topics, right? Therefore, show me topics from the forums I am usually participating - posting or reading.

In my experience, *most* of our customers who navigate the forums in this manner tend to use the "view new content" feature. They decide if they want content since their last visit, or content they haven't read yet, in their usercp, and then when they visit a forum they click view new content. Then they just flip through the tabs.

Now, view new content doesn't filter by user, but you see an indicator if you have posted in the topic, so users can manually do this browsing the page. Or you can click the link to "find all posts by (me)" and then go through and see if there is new replies to any of the topics you've posted in.

Just some examples, and only going off what I've personally seen in terms of browsing/usage habits.

Archived