Assign Group Upon Registration Approval

SkimPappa

Please add the ability to assign a new member to a group upon registration approval. Possibly by a drop down menu next to the name. (on the pending approval screen).

I do not have a default group for new members. I have a wide variety of member permissions.

Having two drop downs one for primary and one for secondary groups (control clickable) would be ideal, but I don't want to push it...

Please add the ability to assign a new member to a group upon registration approval. Possibly by a drop down menu next to the name. (on the pending approval screen).

I do not have a default group for new members. I have a wide variety of member permissions.

Having two drop downs one for primary and one for secondary groups (control clickable) would be ideal, but I don't want to push it...

You can use "registered users" (the standard members group) for new members and then promote these members once they reached a quantitative criteria that you can choose in admin area (that would be the automatic solution) or any criteria that you can not set to automatic - in the last case you would have to promote them by hand.

You can use "registered users" (the standard members group) for new members and then promote these members once they reached a quantitative criteria that you can choose in admin area (that would be the automatic solution) or any criteria that you can not set to automatic - in the last case you would have to promote them by hand.

IM looking at doing the same.
- Currently we have (excluding guest/sitecrew/ex-members groups) two groups in operation.
- 'Provisional Member' which is a default pre-validation group members go into first.
- Then upon validation (automatic email verification) the go into the 'members group'

However what I would like to be able to to do is to is have a third group between these two 'new members' from which people would be promoted into 'members' after five posts. Hence prior to there first five posts the user could have limited access.

I can make the group, and i can set the promotion point.
But what i cant seem to do is set where newly validated members go (ie, to newmembers not members) and tests seem to show the promotion point doesnt work. (ive tried seting it to promote on one post more than i have, posting, and seeing if i move)

This is with version 2.3.6 for what its worth, although we're planing a upgrade to 3.0.# soon.

Daniel

Promotion does infact seam to be working.
- All i need now is just to be able to change where recently validated members go...?

[sorry to not be posting in the client area btw, our site owner is currently awol as second in command im picking to the pieces but dont have access to the client area]

Daniel

When you get hold of the site owner, you can have him add you as a contact in the client area, which in turn will get you access to some of the client areas on this board. He will have to assign you to the different products (IP.Board and any add-ons he's purchased) and you will then get access to the respective areas. You won't get access to the customers lounge though.

• 3 years later...

Promotion does infact seam to be working.
- All i need now is just to be able to change where recently validated members go...?

[sorry to not be posting in the client area btw, our site owner is currently awol as second in command im picking to the pieces but dont have access to the client area]

Daniel

Hi,

This is exactly what I am trying to do now with one of my forums - what is the solution?

Thanks,

Then rename "Members" and apply whatever restrictions you want to it, and create another group for others (and adjust promotion rules accordingly)? Just an idea.

I'm pretty sure mine was like this out if the box, but when I get to a real computer I'll check to see if there was an admin setting for this behavior.

• 4 months later...

Another bump that might be useful to other admins. We have facebook/twitter connect that allows status updates retrieval but some people connect to my site so they can spam the status updates sidebar with links, those users (who haven't made a post yet) appear in status updates without a member name, so I created a second members group that promotes them from the default member group when they have made a post (which requires a member name) the default member group has had status updates disabled, sort of fixing that issue.

• 1 year later...

Then rename "Members" and apply whatever restrictions you want to it, and create another group for others (and adjust promotion rules accordingly)? Just an idea.

I'm pretty sure mine was like this out if the box, but when I get to a real computer I'll check to see if there was an admin setting for this behavior.

​Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have done almost exactly as described above. I changed the "Members" group to "New members" and set it to promote to a new group called "Regulars" after 30 posts.

My question is - when will this process happen? I have assumed that it will apply retrospectively to anyone in the renamed group that already had 30 or more posts? Hopefully! But so far the "Regulars" group is staying empty...

Would anyone be able to help out with the query needed to transfer all users in group ID #3 with more than 30 posts into group ID #14 please?

Many thanks!

When I switched to IPB, my converter labeled everyone "Recent New User". I just left it as is and it promotes people upon their next posting.

I suppose if I wanted to mass move some people, I would use PHPmyAdmin in CPanel, look for the members table, and run a search query for all users in group ID=3 with post count > 30. I'd have to peek in on PHPmyAdmin again to see if I could select the whole search results batch and change the group ID at once or if I have to do it one member at a time.

I'm not good with creating little scripts with IPB yet.

• 2 years later...

Pretty sure before there was a setting that would allow you to assign a default group when members register. I think now its by default members and if you want to have a separate members group (lets say for a community) then you'd need to rename the default one to something like "Registered" and create a new one for members.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there a way to assign members to different groups at registration through a means other than posting parameters? Our non-profit organization has patient/family and medical professional members. We'd like to designate the two (as we have separate forums) automatically rather than having to do this manually but it seems like the promotions feature only allows someone to move to another group based on the number of posts they make.

35 minutes ago, Misty Sharpe said:

Is there a way to assign members to different groups at registration through a means other than posting parameters? Our non-profit organization has patient/family and medical professional members. We'd like to designate the two (as we have separate forums) automatically rather than having to do this manually but it seems like the promotions feature only allows someone to move to another group based on the number of posts they make.

If you have Commerce, you can set up the subscriptions manager with two options, one for patients and one for providers, and make them choose one when they're registering.  Set these to free and after registration and account approval, they'll be moved into the group you have set for the subscription.

It's a very hacky way to do what you wish, and you also have to buy a whole other application for this one feature, but I've seen similar suggestions for group management at registration for 3+ years and it's more than likely not going to exist anytime soon, if ever.

An alternative that you can do after registration is set up a profile completion step that they need to complete after registration.  You can create a custom profile field that asks them to choose a role, patient or provider (or whatever roles you need), and attach this to a profile completion step.  It's explained more in the wizard.  Then set up a group promotion to move them into the appropriate primary or secondary user group based on the role they chose.  You'd have to set up a group promotion for each role you have.

Edited by ahc