Disable "give reputation +/-" in posts when user can not give reputation

Bryan Sammers

Instead of removing the button(s), what if they were greyed out, so that you can see where they would be but since they are grey, they are unclickable. Perhaps if someone still clicks anyway, it tells them that they've reached their limit for the day.

Instead of removing the button(s), what if they were greyed out, so that you can see where they would be but since they are grey, they are unclickable.

That's also a better display setting for me than showing the buttons first to the user as active, but then if he clicks on them he gets a "you are not allowed to do this message". Not that kind. Better show the user that he can not vote before. It's like having a company with lots of doors and every door seems to be open for the customer. He goes into one door he entered one minute ago, but this time he gets a "Get out! You reached your limit for today!". Yes, that's not that good.

We considered doing this originally, but didn't want to introduce the overhead needed to check if you have permission to rep each post on topic view. Most users never click the rep buttons to begin with, so it's a lot of additional processing and overhead to check if you can use rep.

Not saying we'll never change this, but there was a reason we didn't go this route originally.

We considered doing this originally, but didn't want to introduce the overhead needed to check if you have permission to rep each post on topic view. Most users never click the rep buttons to begin with, so it's a lot of additional processing and overhead to check if you can use rep.

What about per page view? If the person can + or -, they get the colorful version of the +/- showing, but if not then it's grey and shows on all posts on that page. So it wouldn't be per post, it would be decided early on which + and - to display so it wouldn't be decided each time. Then as a backup, if someone clicks on it, it would work per usual, where if they don't have any more points to use then they get a message. At least with a greying out, it's a visual reminder that they need to wait.

That's what I meant. :P

Although, since that point, the reputation system did change somewhat (i.e. if you already repped a post you don't see the buttons) so it may no longer be as much of an issue. I'm not positive.

Oh I thought you mean like some ajax script that would update the buttons after each vote, affecting the remaining posts.

I'm not too 'hip' on the HTML/CSS stuff these days, but isn't it possible to have buttons that have transparent backgrounds instead of green/red, then using CSS, control the colors of the buttons? Just a thought, not sure if that's something that could/would work. But if so, that could also make it much easier for skinning and reducing the number of images (only one + and - instead of 2 each).

Archived